Thinking of getting a 5...

:
2009 Mazda 5, Grand Touring
Hi, I'm new here and live in western Washington (state). I have been thinking of getting a Mazda 5. Thanks for the info these forums provide.

Currently, I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix. It's been a good car except for one BIG problem, mold in the ventilation system. I've removed the blower fan and sprayed mold killer in it. It kills most of it but there seems to be some left. Tried to find if there was a water leak anywhere but have not found one. My major problem comes from the fact that because of this, I found out the hard way that I am allergic to mold; it makes me sick, the last time I got bronchitis. Does anyone know if mold has been a problem in the Mazda 5? If I get one it will probably be a new 2009 model so I can start anew. I got the Matrix used (48k miles).

Also, can anyone get me the measurement between the rear wheels inside the back? See how a couple of dog kennels will fit.

Thanks for any info,

Sorry to hear about the mold problems on the Matrix, I have never heard or read any mold complaints for the Mazda5. Is it a common problem on the Matrix?

There are some commercial remedies available to kill the mold in your system. Also I am curious if maybe your condensation drain for your Matrix A/C might be kinked, blocked or clogged?

Thanks, from what I read on the Matrix Owners group, it does not seem to be a problem; I think I just got unlucky. I've tried just about everything. I checked to make sure the A/C drain was not plugged and sprayed Lysol then later a EPA approved mold killer. Also, tried A/C evaporator cleaners. I figured out how to take out the blower fan and found mold had been growing on the fan blades. With it out I was also able to reach in the duct work and rub down the insides to clean the mold. It slowly comes back so my guess is there moisture getting in there somewhere. I've even ran water over the intake vents, windshield, and sunroof, but never saw any water intrusion. I am the point now of giving up. This last episode of bronchitis put me in the hospital for two days.

Mold is nothing to mess around with, especially if you are sensitive to it.

It sounds like you have tried all of your available options.

I wonder then if your car insurance covers mold damage?

My fear would be the next owner of the Matrix developing health issues as well.

Fortunately, most people are not allergic to mold. I cleaned the car pretty good. Don't know if my insurance would have covered it, I doubt it. I did finally trade the Matrix in on a 2009 Mazda 5, crystal white, Grand Touring. I test drove a silver Sport 5-speed MT and the white Grand Touring. I decided to get the GT because of the added options, fog lights, moonroof, leather seats, etc, even though I prefer MT. Too bad Mazda does not have the 5-speed manual in all the models.

Glad to hear! Enjoy your new 5!

It should be much more enjoyable to drive than the Matrix. (smash)

It is too bad that you are not able to get the M/T option on every trim level.

I guess we should just be happy that they still offer a manual tranny at all now.

good call on getting a 5. I love ours. I am IICRC certified in mold remediation for homes, and I can tell you you did the right thing by ditching that toybox. I know of one person who was clinically blind from mold, and every 6months or so he has to get needles put into his eyes to remove excess fluids from what the mold did. its definantly not stuff to mess with!

Back