2013~2016 Thinking of doing the driver side mirror TSB repair

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Ever since we bought our 2014 back in 2016, the vibrating driver side mirror on the highway has been driving me nuts. I can't stand how the mirror image is so blurry compared to the inside rear view or passenger side mirror. So I'm seriously considering doing the TSB repair soon.

Our car has BSM, but not heated mirrors. So that should be part number KDY6-69-180. When I search online, that part number from dealers is over $500!! But when I look on eBay, there appear to be new-in-box mirror units of that part number for just over $100. Are those legit? I can do $100 or a little more, but over $500 will be a seriously hard pill to swallow.

This is the TSB I'm looking at. Car was built Jan 2013, so I should only need to replace the mirror itself. The mirror reinforcement bar I'm guessing is already in there. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10097809-2532.pdf

I had the driver side mirror replaced by the dealer shortly after purchase in 2014. IIRC, they ordered in a complete mirror assembly and the list price was at least $500 or something ridiculous for a piece of plastic. Luckily I did not have the "vibrating hood" problem that Mazda was addressing at that time also.

I had the driver side mirror replaced by the dealer shortly after purchase in 2014. IIRC, they ordered in a complete mirror assembly and the list price was at least $500 or something ridiculous for a piece of plastic. Luckily I did not have the "vibrating hood" problem that Mazda was addressing at that time also.
Did they replace the entire mirror to the one with the newer turn signal style? I believe they're used on the 2015-2016.5 models. Or did they just do the housing?

Ever since we bought our 2014 back in 2016, the vibrating driver side mirror on the highway has been driving me nuts. I can't stand how the mirror image is so blurry compared to the inside rear view or passenger side mirror. So I'm seriously considering doing the TSB repair soon.

Our car has BSM, but not heated mirrors. So that should be part number KDY6-69-180. When I search online, that part number from dealers is over $500!! But when I look on eBay, there appear to be new-in-box mirror units of that part number for just over $100. Are those legit? I can do $100 or a little more, but over $500 will be a seriously hard pill to swallow.

This is the TSB I'm looking at. Car was built Jan 2013, so I should only need to replace the mirror itself. The mirror reinforcement bar I'm guessing is already in there. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10097809-2532.pdf
Do you really want to pay $274.35 MSRP for KDY0-59-050 (reinforcement assy.) just to fix the vibration issue on the driver side mirror?

Not to mention KDY6-69-180 (driver-side power outer mirror) which has a high price tag for $764.40 MSRP! (Does the mirror housing needs to be painted too? (more $$$?))

The TSB is the revised version (red paragraph is the added procedures and parts) which added the mirror housing itself to be a part of vibration fix in addition to reinforcement kit. I don’t understand why the whole mirror housing need to be replaced to stop the mirror vibration, but apparently the reinforcement kit had failed to fix the issue at the first try by Mazda.

If you still want to spend hundreds and time to fix the vibration, make sure to verify if the TSB has been applied to your 2014 CX-5 Touring, either go through dealer’s service system, or take the door panel off to see if the reinforcement kit has been installed. Of course you should check the Mazda OEM parts supplier partsouq.com at UAE the price may surprise you like the oil control valve.

I believe those mirrors on eBay selling for much lower price are not genuine Mazda OEM parts.

Did they replace the entire mirror to the one with the newer turn signal style? I believe they're used on the 2015-2016.5 models. Or did they just do the housing?
Per the repair order they replaced driver side door mirror per TSB 09-026/14. "Updated part available". KDY6-69-180 @ $689.45. They also did the updated lower control arm bushings at the same time. The replacement matched the passenger side so it did not have the updated turn signal.

Do you really want to pay $274.35 MSRP for KDY0-59-050 (reinforcement assy.) just to fix the vibration issue on the driver side mirror?

Not to mention KDY6-69-180 (driver-side power outer mirror) which has a high price tag for $764.40 MSRP! (Does the mirror housing needs to be painted too? (more $$$?))

The TSB is the revised version (red paragraph is the added procedures and parts) which added the mirror housing itself to be a part of vibration fix in addition to reinforcement kit. I don’t understand why the whole mirror housing need to be replaced to stop the mirror vibration, but apparently the reinforcement kit had failed to fix the issue at the first try by Mazda.

If you still want to spend hundreds and time to fix the vibration, make sure to verify if the TSB has been applied to your 2014 CX-5 Touring, either go through dealer’s service system, or take the door panel off to see if the reinforcement kit has been installed. Of course you should check the Mazda OEM parts supplier partsouq.com at UAE the price may surprise you like the oil control valve.

I believe those mirrors on eBay selling for much lower price are not genuine Mazda OEM parts.

My VIN falls in the second category on the TSB, manufactured January 2013, which indicates that my car should have the door bars already.

I'm confused as to why the TSB lists the part number for what appears to be the entire mirror assembly, when it shows transferring mirror glass, turn signal and painted cap over to a new mirror housing. It appears that it shows installing part KD33-69-181K which is the left hand mirror with BSM, without heat. Those sell new for under $175, which I would gladly pay to get rid of the annoying mirror vibrations.

actually I'm wondering now if the mirror housing I see on eBay with the part number for the entire assembly, is actually from someone that had the TSB repair done, and someone took the old mirror housing and threw it in the box that the assembly came in. Meaning that it would actually be the older mirror housing. I think I'll stay away from the eBay stuff that only shows a housing for the part numbers that should be the complete assembly.

My VIN falls in the second category on the TSB, manufactured January 2013, which indicates that my car should have the door bars already.

I'm confused as to why the TSB lists the part number for what appears to be the entire mirror assembly, when it shows transferring mirror glass, turn signal and painted cap over to a new mirror housing. It appears that it shows installing part KD33-69-181K which is the left hand mirror with BSM, without heat. Those sell new for under $175, which I would gladly pay to get rid of the annoying mirror vibrations.
According to both TSB's , 09-002/13 which you posted and 09-026/14 which my repair referred to, both of our VIN numbers specify for total replacement. At least that's my interpretation. Any reinforcement pieces needed should be installed as part of the package. The side impact bar will naturally already have been installed from the factory.

I know the TSB calls for total replacement, but I don't understand why it would show instructions for removing the mirror glass, painted cap and turn signal, and installing the mirror glass, if the technician is replacing the whole mirror. The procedure looks more like it's for replacing only the mirror base, the KD33-69-181K part number in my case. I think I'm going to try replacing that part to see if it fixes the vibration.

⋯ It appears that it shows installing part KD33-69-181K which is the left hand mirror with BSM, without heat.
I thought based on the TSB you posted, the part number for power outer mirror (driver-side) without heater, with BSM is KDY6-69-180?

I thought based on the TSB you posted, the part number for power outer mirror (driver-side) without heater, with BSM is KDY6-69-180?
that's for the entire assembly. Housing, color cap, turn signal, glass and all. KD33-69-181K is the base itself, with the wire harnesses and adjustment motor. No glass or cap or turn signal. That's why I was confused about the TSB instructions if it calls for complete mirror unit replacement.

that's for the entire assembly. Housing, color cap, turn signal, glass and all. KD33-69-181K is the base itself, with the wire harnesses and adjustment motor. No glass or cap or turn signal. That's why I was confused about the TSB instructions if it calls for complete mirror unit replacement.
OK, got it!

Any updates?

Our 2013 driver side mirror shakes too on freeways. I temporarily fixed it using some pipe insulation foam you can buy at the HD. I cut bits and wedged them between mirror edge and the black trim housing....but the foam falls off every time my wife readjusts the power mirror.

Gonna see if I can pull the mirror off and apply some foam behind the mirror to help absorb bumps.

OR

better yet apply foam tape around the edges of the mirror enough to absorb shaking but enough give to allow for power mirror movement..

nope, haven't done anything with it yet. Lucky for me my wife never moves the mirrors when she drives the car. But it's still super annoying at highway speeds.

I have 2 other cars that need parts and attention, so this has been low on my priority list.

Back