The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

That would be a brilliant discovery. That stuff is incredibly expensive from what I've seen.

from what i've seen the tape has nothing to do with the sound deadening, just to make it look pretty.

I think the Dynamat insulation is more dense than the HVAC stuff. The HVAC stuff seems more airid. Like when Burger King makes a fresh Whopper (HAVC) then they smoosh it down into the wrapper (Dynamat). I can't think of a better analogy right now... But there are a couple cats who have used the HVAC sticky insulation in their cars for 1/4 the price of Dynamat and got good results. I think the Dynamat deadens the sound better since it's more dense though. But it's expensive.

Speaking of products I work with, we have a bunch of 1/4" thick, clear, scrap acrylic if anyone needs any for projects like sub boxes or displays or anything. If you want some, let me know the dimensions you need and I'll cut it down at work and bring it home and you can pick it up. The biggest sheets we have are 2' x 5.5' (yes, that's feet, not inches). And by "scrap" I mean, the quality is still like new, no blemishes or scratches and the paper covering is still on both sides. We just can't use it at work and it's been sitting aorund for years.

IMG_20110104_160517.jpg

Last edited:
how thick is it?
I think the Dynamat insulation is more dense than the HVAC stuff. The HVAC stuff seems more airid. Like when Burger King makes a fresh Whopper (HAVC) then they smoosh it down into the wrapper (Dynamat). I can't think of a better analogy right now... But there are a couple cats who have used the HVAC sticky insulation in their cars for 1/4 the price of Dynamat and got good results. I think the Dynamat deadens the sound better since it's more dense though. But it's expensive.

Speaking of products I work with, we have a bunch of clear scrap acrylic if anyone needs any for projects like sub boxes or displays or anything. If you want some, let me know the dimensions you need and I'll cut it down at work and bring it home and you can pick it up. The biggest sheets we have are 2' x 5.5' (yes, that's feet, not inches).

IMG_20110104_160517.jpg

Build an approx 135 gallon Acrylic fishtank FTW! At least, that's what I would do if I had the time and/or skill...

think i could get a few whole sheets of that acrylic? bout to build a box for my buddy, and this would come in handy for sure!!! fish tank......good idea..wouldnt mind doin one of those either!!

I would not mind having some of that acrylic. It would make some nice display cases for my die-cast collection (200+cars). I will need to get some dimensions though.

Build an approx 135 gallon Acrylic fishtank FTW! At least, that's what I would do if I had the time and/or skill...
1/4" material would never hold that much pressure. I had a 100 gallon that was 1/2" glass. Remember water is 8 lbs./gallon you do the math that is a bunch of weight/pressure.

1/4" material would never hold that much pressure. I had a 100 gallon that was 1/2" glass. Remember water is 8 lbs./gallon you do the math that is a bunch of weight/pressure.

Hah, I never thought of that. Some quick checking suggested no more than 13 inches tall of a tank using 1/4" acrylic. So that means 10-20 gallons, tops...

jri4, I saw you car Saturday after the gun show in Medina. I think it was parked at GFS, we went to the Corral across the street.

Happy hour is almost over. Time for a shower and some quality pillow time. Bunny? Come to jesus talk?

Bunny? Come to jesus talk?

Yep, big ole bunny rabbit. He's about 8-9 lbs and 16 inches or so. He'd make a good samich. yum yum. I guess to a bunny 3 am is time to bounce all over the cage and wake me up. I'm not a happy person at that time of the night. so, we had a talk and he got the squirt bottle.

Back