The look of Cross bars or just side rails?

IMG_20200607_161918_2.jpg
IMG_20200607_161918.jpg
IMG_20200607_162111_2.jpg
IMG_20200607_162111.jpg

what was the painting method / product(s) used?

in the offroading community there is a saying / quip "chrome don't get you home.." which means adding something flashy with out utility or function is often not going to enhance the vehicle in a manner that makes it more capable. Now the CX-5 most likely will not see the extreme terrain as a true offroading vehicle (and roof parts shouldn't impact operation home).. but it seems apt to mention.

then we see this other thread with failed cross bars...

then again it it YOUR vehicle and YOUR money.. do with them as YOU want :)

Just my opinion, but I don't like the look with the crossbars attached. I would only put them on if I needed to use them. You also run the risk of them generating wind noise.

I personally don't like the way the cross bars look. Are those the OEM ones? I want to put roof rails and cross bars on my CX-5 but this on takes away from the look of the car to be honest.

Almost feel like it makes it look like a subaru.

I've always loved comments in Threads that state to do what you want to be, because it's your car. Fact is, half the threads would be gone, and half the things we do in life we wouldn't ask for other people's opinion. Whether it's our car, our of lawn, or even the clothes we wear, it is basic psychology that many things we do are because of how others will perceive us. I may be wrong, but I doubt that there isn't something in your life that you have spent money on that wasn't because of how it looks to others.

Last edited:
I personally don't like the way the cross bars look. Are those the OEM ones? I want to put roof rails and cross bars on my CX-5 but this on takes away from the look of the car to be honest.

Almost feel like it makes it look like a subaru.
Actually, I like the Subaru. Yes those are OEM. Just unbolt and spray

Actually, I like the Subaru. Yes those are OEM. Just unbolt and spray

To each their own. I'm getting black wheels put on my car soon that people may not like at all but to me I'll love it. If you like it, then that's all that matters.

The reason why I don't like the crossbars is I think it's raised a little too high.

I do like that the roof rails are black rather than silver though.

Honestly, I think I've used my roof rack once in 15 years on my cars. So yes, it is more for appearance sake. Nobody's going to mistake this for a tough SUV, but I do think it complements the utility look of the car. Notice I spelled it compliments and not compliments

I found the crossbars can be a disadvantage in certain strong crosswinds and headwinds. I only install them as needed.

I think they give the car a 'soccer mom' look. Nobody's going to mistake a cx5 for a jeep or land rover just because of the roof rack.

I've always loved comments in Threads that state to do what you want to be, because it's your car. Fact is, half the threads would be gone, and half the things we do in life we wouldn't ask for other people's opinion. Whether it's our car, our of lawn, or even the clothes we wear, it is basic psychology that many things we do are because of how others will perceive us. I may be wrong, but I doubt that there isn't something in your life that you have spent money on that wasn't because of how it looks to others.

"I may be wrong, but I doubt that there isn't something in your life that you have spent money on that wasn't because of how it looks to others."

Yes, you are right and you are wrong.

When I decide to do something in my life, something that means something to me and does not effect others, I do NOT consider what others think of that decision. It's my life, they are my possessions, and if it doesn't effect anyone else, I do what I want.

When I installed my roof rack and crossbars why would I ask myself what others might think of the look? Will these people see the car every day and look down on me because they don't like the look? Why would I care what they think? If they don't like the way it looks then they are free to look the other way.

When you purchased your CX did you base the color on what you like or what you think others may like?

If you base half of your decisions in life on what other's may think. Well, good luck with that.

I don't think the roof rack looks bad but not better either.
Accessories that expand the capacity can be very useful and a lot less expensive than a larger vehicle. For carrying sone things I've found my hitch mounted cargo rack better than the roof rack, but you have to consider parking and backing up, etc.

Never carry a mattress on the roof, it's very dangerous.

Back