The Best "CUV" I've seen

metalfab

:
2014 Ford Edge AWD LTD
We are camping this long weekend in Canada and once again the CX-5 is packed. Pretty much all flat terrian driving so no problem there.

Our neighbor came in to the site with a small Mercedes ML430. Same size, by looking at it as the CX-5. Only this "CUV" has a 4.3L V8 and can tow 5000lbs. That's what I'm taking about! Towing a tent trailer or 3000lbs hardshell would be no problem. Now, I'm not comparing it the the CX-5. I did ask the cost, he said he bought it used and there have been zero issues. I'll bet its expensive new and sure, gas will be higher but you have to pay to play.

I did not think about buying used (been there, got burned twice) and had no idea the Mercedes had a V8 in that size of vehicle. I just don't even consider brands like that as they aren't affordable to us. I still have Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab dancing in my head, as that would be perfect.

Yeah...I'm confused by this post. You are comparing apples to oranges. By your own admission you need to "pay to play". Obviously if you are willing to pay significantly more upfront and with maintenance costs, you can do better than the CX5. You can ALWAYS upgrade...if you have the cash.

Not really applicable comparison.

ML is considerably bigger and heavier and therefore all 3 gens had/have V8 offerings. I owned a 2nd gen 3.5L V6 ML, it was very big and weighed 4900 pounds.

Last edited:
Not here making a point, just commenting on the fact that Mazda needs at least a 6 cyl in the CX-5. The CX-5 is just shy of being a better vehicle by being able to tow a larger weight. The ability to tow, say, 3500lbs would be fine. Most tent trailers that sleep 4 weigh 1500lbs and up. Factor in gear and the weight of everyone you might be around 2500-2800lbs. If an 8cyl can fit in the ML 430 a 3.0 or 3.4 V6 can easily fit in the CX-5. I'm parked side by side to the ML 430 right now and its engine bay is no larger than the CX-5's. Both vehicles are very close to the same size overall.

If you are looking at towing with something similar to this class you should probably look at a Ford Escape. I was cross shopping an Acura RDX but even though it has a V6 it was only rated at 1500 lbs. The wheelbase and weight of this vehicle would give me pause to tow anything in the 3K+ pound range regardless of motor.

Personally, I have no use for towing and would much rather have better fuel economy. For reference, ML430 gets you a horrid 19MPG on the highway.
If towing is important to you, you probably got the wrong vehicle. You may be interested in the Equinox or Cherokee (assuming you want a CUV). Or, perhaps you want a larger [CS]UV like a 4Runner/Explorer/Durango.

BTW, the ML was called "dismally unreliable", so I'd say your "best" claim is unfounded.

Last edited:
Vehicles that tow 3500# are next step up, then 5000# class.
If you go up one notch up to 3500# you are looking at 17/25 mpg in a gas vehicle at best.
The 5000# class is even worse.

Considering the cost of bigger tow vehicle or RV,
a good quality large tent (Sierra Designs, North Face) looks pretty attractive.
Frankly, I've never understood RV camping. IMO, its not camping if you are not in a tent.
Maybe a roof storage container would be your best bet?

Last edited:
Not here making a point, just commenting on the fact that Mazda needs at least a 6 cyl in the CX-5. The CX-5 is just shy of being a better vehicle by being able to tow a larger weight. The ability to tow, say, 3500lbs would be fine. Most tent trailers that sleep 4 weigh 1500lbs and up. Factor in gear and the weight of everyone you might be around 2500-2800lbs. If an 8cyl can fit in the ML 430 a 3.0 or 3.4 V6 can easily fit in the CX-5. I'm parked side by side to the ML 430 right now and its engine bay is no larger than the CX-5's. Both vehicles are very close to the same size overall.

ML

Wheelbase: 114.8 in (2,916 mm)
Length: 4,820 mm (189.8 in)
Width: 1,950 mm (76.8 in)
Height: 1,860 mm (73.3 in)
Curb weight 2,150 kg (4,740 lb)

CX-5

Wheelbase : 2,700 mm (106.3 in)
Length: 4,540 mm (178.7 in)
Width: 1,840 mm (72.4 in)
Height: 1,670 mm (65.7 in)
Curb weight: 1,455–1,555 kg (3,208–3,428 lb)

Quite a difference in every measurable way. Even visually...

My cousin has a 2013 ML350. It simply eclipses the CX-5 in every dimension.

Last edited:
Agreed, the only domestic vehicle I'd look at would be a truck with a quad or crew cab. Even then, the Tacoma looks like the best solution. As soon as it can be done financially, I'll be making the trade up.

Might want to study the ergonomics and efficiency of the Tacoma. It has harsh ride and bouncy, and mpg is low for its size. Consider the very efficient Ford F150 with 3.5L engine. F150 is bigger, better ride, and better mpg. FYI, that every efficient Ford 3.5L engine is also put in the Mazda CX-9 that can tow 3500# too.

Last edited:
Vehicles that tow 3500# are next step up, then 5000# class.
If you go up one notch up to 3500# you are looking at 17/25 mpg in a gas vehicle at best.
The 5000# class is even worse.

Considering the cost of bigger tow vehicle or RV,
a good quality large tent (Sierra Designs, North Face) looks pretty attractive.
Frankly, I've never understood RV camping. IMO, its not camping if you are not in a tent.

We have a great tent, made by Mtn Equipment Co-op. Its 11 years old and has withstood a few hairy rain/wind storms.

I had a 12 RAM 1500 with HEMI that got about 19MPG the reason I got rid of that is history. I might fabricate a custom encloser for the rear hitch that can also accept a rear bike hitch on the top. Been thinking about this for a couple of months now. Just haven't had the time to make one.

To add,

If I went to a full size truck again I'd get a V8. Lots of claims from the Ford Eco 3.5L but as I mentioned I got 19MPG in 60/40 city/hwy from a 5.7L 390HP / 405 ft lbs torque engine.

Personally, I have no use for towing and would much rather have better fuel economy. For reference, ML430 gets you a horrid 19MPG on the highway.
If towing is important to you, you probably got the wrong vehicle.

Exactly, like 98% of CX-5 owners that never intend to tow. Mazda did the homework, and they offer the CX-9 too.

Mecan is nice, assuming the Q5 is reasonable reliable then Mecan should be. But tbd.

Cayenne reliability history, like the crappy Toureg is not good.

Flame me guys...IMO... I just don't see the reliability with many of the European CUV & SUVs ... Maybe something like the G class will see 200K miles without too many issues?

2014-G-CLASS-SUV-GALLERY-001-GOE-D.jpg

I do have a neighbor with a 2001 that he claims has been bulletproof.

Hey, if it was up to me I throw on a 70lb backpack, walk to the bush and camp out. :-D Can't do that as easily with a family of 4. Since about 2 years old my parents took me to all sorts of camping trips, now at 44 with family and the long driving I like to do a small 2500lb hardshell would be perfect. I can stop anywhere, get in the trailer, have lunch and/or break. Setup camp in a minute, tear down in the same. Not worry about packing a wet tent to the next site, and on and on. For me now, camping is being with family, and friends.

Last edited:
Back