CX-5 Turbo is the best AWD SUV for the money

To me the CX-5 turbo seems like a no brainer if you are looking for a fun sporty SUV that can carry around your family and 2 dogs. And has AWD for bad weather. And is reliable as well. And goes 0-60 in 6.5 sec.

For ballpark $40k new nothing can touch it.

The Kona N is fast and fun but the N model doesn’t have AWD - it’s not family friendly in the back seat. Plus I’m leery of the long term reliability factor on these.

Maybe the Audi A4 Allroad. But those are $50k new. Plus the reliability factor.

Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Nissan all have CVT’s on the small SUV’s as far as I know.

This reminds me of a “discussion” I had over a year ago on a CX forum, can’t remember which maybe this one. Anyway, the forum’s self-appointed expert on all things automotive (especially Mazdas) asked why anyone would buy a turbo without AWD. I decided to wind him up and answered him by saying that a FWD turbo works as well and better in most cases. As expected he took the bait and ranted his superior knowledge blah blah blah. We all had a good laugh at his expense.

Regardless of the above, I agree completely with the OP here, it is a top choice.

wish mine was a little faster. Other than paint quality and lack of wireless car play I am pretty happy with my 2023.

I just have myself and my Shihpoo as passangers in our new 2023 CX-5 with Premium Plus trim and the naturally aspirated engine. I have no need nor desire for the turbo vision, having had one of those things go out some time back. Most likely that was an issue of another age, but why deal with yet another thing such as the turbo, especially when I do not need it, even here a mile high in altitude. I see no need to go from 0-60 in 6.5 seconds either on this my ninth new car. I will say I am enjoying the automobile, even though it was a purchase of neccessity after my Hyundai Tucson and its' oil burning engine gave up the ghost.

To me the CX-5 turbo seems like a no brainer if you are looking for a fun sporty SUV that can carry around your family and 2 dogs. And has AWD for bad weather. And is reliable as well. And goes 0-60 in 6.5 sec.

For ballpark $40k new nothing can touch it.

The Kona N is fast and fun but the N model doesn’t have AWD - it’s not family friendly in the back seat. Plus I’m leery of the long term reliability factor on these.

Maybe the Audi A4 Allroad. But those are $50k new. Plus the reliability factor.

Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Nissan all have CVT’s on the small SUV’s as far as I know.
i don't have the turbo, but still think only maybe a luxury SUV would really be better within the compact SUV/CUV class and similar. The Toyota RAV4 non-hybrid (2.5 litre N/A) has an 8 speed auto. That one looks good on paper, but I hear they don't drive as well as one might expect, and the interior is cheap looking and probably feeling. I had a 2016 Subaru Forester XT before my CX-5, and the CVT definitely softened the power transmission to an extent, albeit not as bad as most enthusiasts would picture, especially when you put it into S# (sport sharp) mode. The Subaru interiors aren't close to as nice as the newer Mazda interiors, but they are getting better and definitely no where as bad as they were in the 90s and 2000s.

I primarily drive our CX-9 and my wife drives the CX-5. I started with a 2014 CX-5 and forgot how great of a vehicle the CX-5 is. Just the right size with plenty of power and great handling. Whatever Mazda does going forward, they can't stray too far from what the CX-5 is. That car is as much the "soul of Mazda" as the Miata.

That’s why I bought mine. For this price point there is nothing else out there that can touch it. There are other somewhat “hidden” features you get with the turbo as well, such as better brakes and what not. Other than the paint, I can’t find much else to gripe about.

Yeah, the red paint looks nice but gets chipped too easily. As long as I don’t go around inspecting the paint, I’m usually fine. Washing the car is scarier than with other cars since it seems like the paint will just come off with the sprayer, but it usually doesn’t (knock on wood).

For the money I couldn't find a better option without going preowned. Audis reliability has gotten better but way over the 38K Turbo CX5. I had a 2017 Forester XT and the CVT was the downside of that car. Not the reason why I sold it (I shouldn't have lol). I'm a Subie guy and those platforms are just way more fun to play with in the aftermarket. If the current Forrester had the turbo, thats what i would have bought as Subaru have redialed there CVTs since 2017.
The CX5 wins hands down though in interior quality and styling.

For the money I couldn't find a better option without going preowned. Audis reliability has gotten better but way over the 38K Turbo CX5. I had a 2017 Forester XT and the CVT was the downside of that car. Not the reason why I sold it (I shouldn't have lol). I'm a Subie guy and those platforms are just way more fun to play with in the aftermarket. If the current Forrester had the turbo, thats what i would have bought as Subaru have redialed there CVTs since 2017.
what's a bit odd about my '16 forester xt was that it didn't handle nearly as well as the cx-5. could've been partly the tires or age of the car (though the cx-5 had higher mileage than the forester did when i traded it in), but the handling didn't match the sportiness and quickness of the car. usually not a problem, but at times disappointing. putting it into S# mode on a straightaway was always fun, of course.

Totally agree, Mazda is a better driving car. If you aren't of the mindset to mod or tinker with your car, then the CX5 all day would be my choice, for styling, quality interior and handling.
With the combination of tune-ability, a superior AWD system for some off-road fun and an endless aftermarket, a Forester Turbo would have been my choice had it existed in 2023.
For some reason Subaru picked the outback and not the forester to put that engine in. Shame since from everything I've read on the WRX forums, the FA24 is super easy to get more HP from.

We just got rid of a 2018 Audi Q5 that was a huge disappointment. We bought a 2023 CX-5 CE NA and couldn't be happier.

If Audi has improved their quality, I would hate to see what it was before. Just cruise the Audi forums and see the list of issues. We saved the receipts from the engine mount and turbo replacement in case there is a class action settlement. They already have one for the water pump. Other candidates are broken rear coil springs, control arm bushings, and thermostat housings all failing at relatively low mileage.

Last edited:
For me I wish our 2023 Turbo and all models went back to the touchscreen. On our old 2016 Gt I enabled it.
yes it would be nice to have both. sometimes the dial is ok but others touch would be nice. I think the touch would much easier for the passenger to use vs the dial.

For me I wish our 2023 Turbo and all models went back to the touchscreen. On our old 2016 Gt I enabled it.
I enabled it on our 2019 via the Mazda AIO tweaks package. Of course, I can't upgrade the radio software anymore (or I'd lose it), but that's no big loss.

On our CX-50, touch is enabled for AndroidAuto/Carplay, but not for the Mazda screens. Go figure.

yes it would be nice to have both. sometimes the dial is ok but others touch would be nice. I think the touch would much easier for the passenger to use vs the dial.
After 5 years with my Mazda, I really like the commander knob, or dialer, or whatever it's called.
I use it even sitting still and the touch screen enabled.
As posted in another thread, I just purchased a Kia Stinger, and it doesn't have a control knob.
The touch screen is always active and you have to use that to make any changes. I really wish it had the commander control knob.
I hate taking my eyes off the road trying to manipulate or input something into the touch screen. It's a real distraction and dangerous. Mazda got it right with the controller on the centre console.

my '17 cx-5 lets you use the touchscreen when sitting still. i usually just use the dial anyway though, now that i'm mostly used to it.

Back