Thanks Everyone...

Thank you all for your help, pictures and fun !!! I was not happy with my dealer and have purchased an MDX instead (better dealer experience and price in my area). I still love both cars...they both have their pluses and minuses....combine the two and that would be one sweet ride !!! See you on the open road.

The MDX was my 2nd pick as I actually prefer its exterior styling. The price was just a bit out of budget and we also needed a bit more space.

Congrats on the car.

Thank you all for your help, pictures and fun !!! I was not happy with my dealer and have purchased an MDX instead (better dealer experience and price in my area). I still love both cars...they both have their pluses and minuses....combine the two and that would be one sweet ride !!! See you on the open road.

Yap, the dealer and more importantly the dealer's service department is more important than the car make for a new car purchase. MDX was also my 2nd choice, a fine car, perhaps better towing capability than CX-9.

Thanks again !! Just one last thing to report before I "head out to the highway"... I picked up my 2008 Mdx on Saturday and a very early report for you if you are in the market is that it is one ultra sweet ride. I bought the "base" model which is not even close to base at all !!! (more like home run if you ask me) ...If you don't actually need the extra bus room that the cx-9 offers it should be the one for you. The dealer was able to bring the price into cx-9 gt range so don't believe the article that says it is 10k more - not true at all (that was the one that compared the cx-9 to Mdx and Acadia and I am pretty sure it was Motor Trend - there is a link to it in this forum) Sorry for rambling but I like to give as much info as I can.

The dealer was able to bring the price into cx-9 gt range...

Are you serious?! :bs:
Comparing the top of the line CX-9 GT AWD with Base MDX, the price difference is: $3,700 + tax = approx $4,000.
Add Mazda's 1.9% financing which adds atleast $3k-$4k in interest savings.

Note: I've added the Bose+Sunroof+Autodim mirror (which are standard on MDX). Even with $4000 LESS, the CX-9 offers much more 3rd row room and following features that are NOT available on the Base MDX:
1. 20" rims+tires.
2. Bluetooth hands free operation.
3. 10-Speaker Bose Centerpoint 5.1 Surround Sound system.
4. Xenon HID with auto on/off and MANUAL height adjustment.
5. Advanced Keyless Entry and Start System.
6. Rain Sensing Windshield wipers.

MDX does offer following 2 that are not available on the CX-9:
(a) Maintenance Minder system - easily added to a CX-9 using Scangauge ($200).
(b) 300HP but requires premium fuel.

So, total $7k-$8k difference + add $$$ for these options and you're getting close to the $10k difference.

Here the MDX brochure for your ready reference:
http://www.acura.com/content/FactSheet/MDX_factsheet.pdf

Attachments

• MDX Base vs CX-9 GT.jpg
    MDX Base vs CX-9 GT.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I am extremely serious. Thanks for asking.

I am comparing 2008 cx9 to 2008 Mdx so forget about the cheap financing for a minute. I get HandsfreeLink bluetooth in my "base" Mdx. My tires are much wider than cx9 so forget the 20" also. Mdx has super-handling all-wheel-drive which pulls .85g's...This is worth more than any little options. I did not even get the auto-dimming rearview mirror with homelink in the cx9 I ordered but it's included in my Mdx. I also get 10-way power driver and passenger seats !! Oh yeah and my steering wheel is power tilt/telescoping and automatically moves up when I take the key out so it's easier to get in and out of the car. This is truely a sweet ride.

Anyway, bottom line is the "base" 2008 Mdx I bought was $38k including destination (I actually got a "deal" from the "dealer") and is absolutely comparable to the 2008 cx9 GT which will sell for the most part within 2k of this price depending if the dealer is willing to cut something off the retail price which my Mazda dealer was not willing to do.

I just want all you guys here to know that that article saying 10k more for Mdx is wrong. Why would I lie? I had my 08 cx9 on order for almost half a year and I bought my Mdx with the same money I had - no extra $ - my payment works out the same.

Another little tidbit - my Mazda dealer wanted $225 for mudflaps !!! Everyones dealer experience is very different and I hope this info helps a bit.

Last edited:
Anyway, bottom line is the "base" 2008 Mdx I bought was $38k including destination (I actually got a "deal" from the "dealer") and is absolutely comparable to the 2008 cx9 GT which will sell for the most part within 2k of this price depending if the dealer is willing to cut something off the retail price which my Mazda dealer was not willing to do.

I just want all you guys here to know that that article saying 10k more for Mdx is wrong. Why would I lie? I had my 08 cx9 on order for almost half a year and I bought my Mdx with the same money I had - no extra $ - my payment works out the same.
You're right, the difference in MSRP from my CX-9 GT AWD and a similarily equipped MDX is ONLY $6,720. I looked at and drove the MDX and frankly, I don't understand why you would want to fork over that much more money when a very similarily equipped CX-9 costs so much less. I guess I just don't get it. The MDX is a great car, but I can buy a lot of mileage for almost 7 Grand!

I also narrowed down my CUV to these two models. I guess they are competing head to head out there!

I immediately fell in love with both when I drove them, but in the end picked up the 08 GT CX-9 loaded. I also realized I was approaching MDX price territory and made that VERY clear to my Mazda sales person while we were negotiating. :)

The Acura is probably more refined overall, but smaller, and 3rd row seat is not as accessible, nor is that area as big. Also the Acura is noticeably "quicker" when you drive it, certainly quicker off a start.

However that front grill! Oh my...what a waste...I know looks are subjective, but imo they got inspired by the Transformers movie coming out and decided to Megatron that thing! What were they thinking!?

Anyway, VERY close call for me at least...really really liked both.

One reason I went with Mazda also was because I like to "build" my cars to my needs. For instance, I wanted power lift gate on the Acura, but I had to buy the entertainment package to get it! Unless you get your jollies watching that door go up and down automatically, I have no idea why it was included in this package. Should be part of tech, imo.

Both great vehicles though, for sure. If I just had one kid, probably would have gone the other way.

the "base" 2008 Mdx I bought was $38k including destination (I actually got a "deal" from the "dealer") and is absolutely comparable to the 2008 cx9 GT which will sell for the most part within 2k of this price

People are buying 2008 CX-9s at or near invoice lately, if you check other boards, so the difference is much larger than $2k. If you were dying to have a CX-9, you could have checked different dealers, but I have a feeling you had a preference for the MDX (i.e. your comments about SH-AWD and wider tires)

The MDX is a nice vehicle, I considered one when they came out last year, since it comes standard with tons of stuff. However for the things I really wanted, I would have been forced into the $45k range, and that's just too much. The 2009 Pilot will likely directly compete with the CX-9 in terms of price (and might take sales away from the MDX, for that matter).

I have a feeling you had a preference for the MDX (i.e. your comments about SH-AWD and wider tires)

You must be a psychiatrist or you are just great at figuring out people without even seeing them.... You are for the most part correct because deep down inside I do prefer Acura because it is my 5th car from that company...Although I was more than willing to give Mazda a go especially from the feedback and info on this forum I was not going to beg the dealer near me for a deal. There must have been a little fate at play here because after the Mazda dealer got real nasty with me and low-balled my trade when the car arrived, I called back the Acura dealer to see if they still had any 2007 blowouts left - they did not but 2 dealers said they would give me a 2008 for the same price as the 2007...I was pretty shocked and very happy.

Last edited:
You must be a psychiatrist or you are just great at figuring out people without even seeing them

Nah, my insights were based from being active in various car forums over the years. For example, here is a common scenario I see often: on a board that discusses car X, someone will inevitably come along saying that he really liked car X, but bought car Y instead. When pressed further by the community, that person will list of the faults of car X (which of course further encourages flaming) and start being defensive about purchasing car Y, and start listing all the good things about car Y. In nastier forums, an all-out flaming will ensue (which can be fun to read, actually ;) )

Hence my comment that you likely had a preference for the MDX all along: you listed so many "faults" with the CX-9 that it's gotta make you wonder if it ever had a chance.

The MDX is very nice, though. If my budget was about $5k higher, it would be in my top 3! I think you made the right choice for your needs.

Hence my comment that you likely had a preference for the MDX all along: you listed so many "faults" with the CX-9 that it's gotta make you wonder if it ever had a chance.

The Mazda was my definite choice when the dealer was ok with me and I used to talk about all the pluses the Mazda had over the Mdx. If space in the back is not the only factor this is a very hard decision between these 2 cars. I had to list all those things because they are real comparison items....someone will say "my wheels are bigger than yours" or something and it doesn't matter because the wheel is only bigger in diameter and not the width which is actually more important. Great chatting with you Jabba !!

Latest posts

Back