Stupid Things You've Done Modifying/Maintaining Your Ride

I have mastered the "feel" of a bolt that is going to break... unless it is a rediculasly weak bolt that gives no feedback before it breaks.

second one: stripped that stupid littil allen bolt when trying to remove the nut on the stock sway bar links. wound up having to bust the link off to expose the bolt including the littil pivoit ball. then sawed that fucker off to replace the link with my own (homemade) shaft and aurora ball joints.

not sure if this counts but im on my forth pass side control arm. and stripped the main sub frame bolt that holds it on twice. (didnt return the tap this last time)

more to come...

Oh wow, Mine was last night -_-. I was spending a day out of town in Youngstown. Well, before i was speeding going about 60. But once night hit, I was going 50, Didnt signal a lane change and got pulled over (bang) . Apparently I "slammed on my breaks so I had to slam on mine" the cop said. Well, Somehow i got a VERY nice cop and he let me go. I was so grateful. That was wreckless operation. Which means I would lose my liscense till i was 18 and My car would of been towed! Then my parents would have to drive an hour away to come get me. Thank god I still have my Banana Boat :) Lesson learned here.

Put on my intake manifold yesterday and after the install i started the car and had no brakes. Pedal was hard as hell. After minutes of frustration i realized that the brake booster line was backwards so the check valve wouldn't let any vacume through. Oops. all fixed and running good now though.

aMaff said:
Instead of unplugging the connector for the Air Meter in the Miata, I unscrewed it from the meter (a common mistake) and pulled out the actual electronic connectors... I had to get a ride an hour back to the nearest pull a part place and buy one there then drive an hour back.
What kind of Boondock hellhole town were you in that it was an hour's drive to the pull-a-part?

As for the connector, couldn't you find a Miata owner who knew his ass from his air meter to help you out?

when changing from my summer shoes for the stell rims w/blizzaks i dropped one of my summer rims and tires to the ground and scratched the frakkk out of it and bent the dang rim!!!

speed5hornet said:
when changing from my summer shoes for the stell rims w/blizzaks i dropped one of my summer rims and tires to the ground and scratched the frakkk out of it and bent the dang rim!!!
wtf kind of wheels do you have that bent from dropping them!? I can understand scratching, but bent? Must be made of the same material as the FS-DE rods ;)
Foolish said:
What kind of Boondock hellhole town were you in that it was an hour's drive to the pull-a-part?
Some s*** hole called athens ;)
Foolish said:
As for the connector, couldn't you find a Miata owner who knew his ass from his air meter to help you out?
At the time, I only had one available. And....he's a compromise at best ;) lol

Last edited:
Illusion said:
Oh wow, Mine was last night -_-. I was spending a day out of town in Youngstown. Well, before i was speeding going about 60. But once night hit, I was going 50, Didnt signal a lane change and got pulled over (bang) . Apparently I "slammed on my breaks so I had to slam on mine" the cop said. Well, Somehow i got a VERY nice cop and he let me go. I was so grateful. That was wreckless operation. Which means I would lose my liscense till i was 18 and My car would of been towed! Then my parents would have to drive an hour away to come get me. Thank god I still have my Banana Boat :) Lesson learned here.

cool story, but i'm not sure how this belongs in this thread??(shrug)

bazooka joe said:
cool story, but i'm not sure how this belongs in this thread??(shrug)

Don't you get it? He was doing the "increase the numbers displayed on the odometer" mod, there are several how-to's over in this section.

I was trying to figure out the dam low-beam clips on the headlight and how they work to replace my bulb, so for a closer look with light, I put my work light on my fuse box thinking I could see better and forgot my work light is crappy and gets hot, after about 30secs WTF is that smell OH s*** the plastic is melted on the fuse box... DUCK tape and off to the junk yard the next day got a new fuse box cover

I once thought I could make a N/A Protege fast....Then I spent too much money and realized it would never happen...Then I stripped some bolt that seem to be made of butter, then my motor mount turned to jello and I switched them out and rattled my dash apart...Then I gave up and looked for a new solution to my problems...and started to ride my bike more..

got a ticket and had an accident in my mom's car which comes to 3 points and just got a ticket for rolling a stop sign... that's my fourth point and is going to get my license suspended for 3 months... i've got to hurry up and convince my parents to sign the car over into my name so they can't get mad at me and sell it, cuz i know thatz wut they'd want to do

That's what they should do...hahaha...suspended license for California rollin a stop sign....That's sad....******* Communists....

PimpSmurf said:
got a ticket and had an accident in my mom's car which comes to 3 points and just got a ticket for rolling a stop sign... that's my fourth point and is going to get my license suspended for 3 months... i've got to hurry up and convince my parents to sign the car over into my name so they can't get mad at me and sell it, cuz i know thatz wut they'd want to do

murda79 said:
I overtightened the battery tie down nut causing the threaded piece on the strut mount area to break.

I did the same. How did you fix that? I ended up drilling the strut bar bracket to put another bolt in there. (burn)

Action Jackson said:
17. Using rear license plate bolts that were too long. They dug into the paint and body of the rear hatch.

Mine came with longer screws from the dealer. Once I removed the license plate frame...BAMB! Dug into the hatch. First week I owned the car!

I have since got some PROPER JDM bolts!

i reinstalled my midpipe, but as i was doing it i realized i forgot to put my washer in place so i unbolted it again and put the washers back in tightened it and... wtf whats that gasket doing there.... FAWK! i forgot to put it in. unbolt and places gasket in tighten nuts etc, and... wtf what are those washers doing there! so yea after a few ubolting, tightening, and numerous curse words, i finally got it back together properly...

Back