Stripping Paint from Valve Cover

azeli73

Contributor
:
2002 Protege 5 Turbo
I'm in the middle of a rebuild right now. Engine is out and I'm wainting on my block. I want to remove the wrinkle paint that I applied to my valve cover but I'm not sure what I could use to safely remove it. Anyone know the best method?

aircraft remover.

put that on, wait 30min, hose it all off.

the only thing is, it's very toxic, so, when you go to use it, wear full body clothing (don't leave any skin exposed, it's a skin irritant). When you go to spray it off, stand back a good 10feet or so, and don't inhale the fumes. Wear a dust mask at the minnimum. Now... all these precautions are really for people that are around the stuff as a job, so it's not like you're going to get deathly ill if you accidently breathe in some..or if you accidently get some on you (although, it hurts like hell if you get some on you, so wash it off asap). You might need some brass (*not plastic) or some other type of metal small brush to work the remover into the paint(though if your process is anything like mine the stuff really just needs to be "glooped" on there and let sit for a couple minuites before it's ready to come off, the brushing is for stuff like car paint, and... aircraft paint.)

Last edited:
if you do a little search,on POLISHED VALVE COVER,you should find the how-to,there is a tread about it,you need to sand it,with different grain sandpaper,a bit of work,but worth it....or you also have the option of getting it sandblasted,wich would give you the choice of painting it the color you need

patmaz said:
if you do a little search,on POLISHED VALVE COVER,you should find the how-to,there is a tread about it,you need to sand it,with different grain sandpaper,a bit of work,but worth it....or you also have the option of getting it sandblasted,wich would give you the choice of painting it the color you need
well.. if his valve cover is already in decent shape, then he dosen't need to sand it(unless he want's that polished look of course). Aircraft remover dissolves the paint so it can be wiped/washed off.

sephiroth said:
well.. if his valve cover is already in decent shape, then he dosen't need to sand it(unless he want's that polished look of course). Aircraft remover dissolves the paint so it can be wiped/washed off.

i agree a 100% with that,by the way,where do you guys get that aircraft remover?it seems to be a good product,i d like to try it....(glare)

Hope poison control wasn't involved (ughdance)

Black_Protege_5 said:
Aircraft remover is awesome. But it doesn't taste very good. Make sure your mouth is closed and nothing gets in.

you can get it almost anywhere a store has an automotive section.
walmart, pepboys, napa, advanced/autozone.

I think it's like $5 for a gallon sized can (which will last a while)

o. Mouth went numb for a little but I didn't swallow any.

You can get it at any auto store. I get mine from Pepboys.
defentaly do not swallow any, otherwise poision controll will be needed. (nailbyt)

Last edited:
Back