Strange thing at Mazda dealer: Tire rotation

Also braking is done primarily by the front and not rear.
When the front brakes better than the rear the rear may become your front.
Having better front tires was a taboo in pre-ABS times, I'm actually not sure if that's still the case now, if you have trust in car electronics then you're good.

Tires with higher tread should be in the front for fwd and even AWD due to fwd biased.

That's for people prioritizing acceleration vs braking :)
In general braking should be more important

that always brings up controversy...many experts say the best tires should be on the back of a fwd due to not losing control during braking etc....

This.

When you nose-dive a vehicle (especially a FWD one) under hard braking, the rear end becomes extremely light. If you're braking hard and turning simultaneously (say, to avoid an animal that just ran in the road), the rear tires need all the help they can get to keep the rear end from coming around on you. More tread in the rear may just make the difference between keeping grip and breaking loose.

Don't want to turn this into hot/cold oil level thread. Let's just say if you're losing traction accelerating or braking or turning in the front, rear or left or right, then your car is just unsafe to drive and your tires need to be changed. If you like front better tires, good for you. If you like better rear tires, good for you too. Just do what you feel is the safer option.

If the tires had been rotated properly at the proper intervals, there would be no tires worn more than the others, they would all be evenly worn.

If the tires had been rotated properly at the proper intervals, there would be no tires worn more than the others, they would all be evenly worn.
not if there is an alignment problem or bad strut or just a bad tire...I have seen individual tires do some weird things over my 50+ years of driving. I always rotate my own tires between 3-5000 miles depending on the type of tire and vehicle they are on.

Oh, alignment is another "Strange thing at Mazda dealer"
Month ago they insisted on aligning my wheels at 15k. Went to tire shop this week and alignment was all green. And they didn't charge for checking, which restored my faith in humanity.

Also braking is done primarily by the front and not rear.
Actually, almost all 4 wheel disc cars today have the rear brakes wear out faster than the fronts. Yes, the fronts are larger and still do more of the braking than the rears, but modern cars have a rear brake bias built into them now. This is to reduce/prevent nosediving when hitting the brakes.
If you took a poll on here asking which brakes wore down first, it would be the rears by a landslide.

Actually, almost all 4 wheel disc cars today have the rear brakes wear out faster than the fronts. Yes, the fronts are larger and still do more of the braking than the rears, but modern cars have a rear brake bias built into them now. This is to reduce/prevent nosediving when hitting the brakes.

This is true, however the most common reason is because of traction control. Modern traction control systems will drag either the left or right rear caliper to help get the car back in line if it detects yaw angle greater than steering angle. It's also used in conjunction with automatic steering for Lane Keep Assist.

Actually, almost all 4 wheel disc cars today have the rear brakes wear out faster than the fronts
Yeah, I was weirded out when the rear brakes on our 2014 CX-5 wore down to the metal ( :( ) while the front ones - which were the ones I usually checked - were still fine. Had never seen that on any previous car. Our 2019 CX-5 only has 32K miles on it yet, but at a recent oil change the tech reported the pad depths, and sure enough, the fronts were thicker than the rears.

Our 2019 CX-5 only has 32K miles on it yet, but at a recent oil change the tech reported the pad depths, and sure enough, the fronts were thicker than the rears.
Are you saying you didn't have to change brake pads in 32k mi?
My 2021 rear pads started to squeal at 15k, that's an unrealistic difference in mileage

My 2021 rear pads started to squeal at 15k, that's an unrealistic difference in mileage
Sorry, I mistyped that, the car has 42K miles (not 32K). Per the tech report, front pads have 8mm, rears have 6mm. No squeal.

I have around 35k miles on my original brake pads, and they still have plenty of meat left. I just eyeballed em when I rotated the wheels this past summer and they looked fine.

Back