stock turbo?

Dr. D

ok well i am sick of trying to search these forums for an answer so i will ask it now. does anyone happen to know what stock turbos we are using? i am trying to find out who makes it and what model it is..... thank you.

Warner-Hitachi K04

Bigg Tim said:
"For a stock turbo, it has a lot of trick features, including a compressor stage supported by a full-floating, journal-bearing, water-cooled center section. Power balance is supported by a 79 trim 50mm turbine stage with an Inconel shaft-wheel mated to a 16.5mm A/R Niresist iron turbine housing. Maximum turbine speed is over 165,000rpm with a peak exhaust gas temperature in excess of 990 degrees Celsius."

ok thought so but just wanted to be sure... but regardless that is good news b/c those things are bullet proof.

the seals are more of mazda's fault than the turbo itself....once the dealer replaces the turbo they are fine.

do you even know exactly what the problem that ppl are having is??? the k04 is a great little turbo ask anyone thats knows anything about cars.

do you even know exactly what the problem that ppl are having is??? the k04 is a great little turbo ask anyone thats knows anything about cars.

Yea the seals suck so oil is leaking and smoke is flying out of the exhaust as if some small little rat was BBQin in the tailpipe of your car. =) Sorry had to make a dumb joke. People try and claim that it happens only when people get mods done but i have a personal friend that is bone stock and his smoked just like mine and i had minor bolt ons. Anyway point is the turbo sucks and even worse then that our motors cant hold up with ATP turbos. So all in all it comes down to not modding the MS6 and staying bone stock that way mazda cant try and get out of warranty work for a bad ass turbo they decided to go with. EVOX =)

Yea the seals suck so oil is leaking and smoke is flying out of the exhaust as if some small little rat was BBQin in the tailpipe of your car. =) Sorry had to make a dumb joke. People try and claim that it happens only when people get mods done but i have a personal friend that is bone stock and his smoked just like mine and i had minor bolt ons. Anyway point is the turbo sucks and even worse then that our motors cant hold up with ATP turbos. So all in all it comes down to not modding the MS6 and staying bone stock that way mazda cant try and get out of warranty work for a bad ass turbo they decided to go with. EVOX =)

then how come when Mazda replaces the k04 with a k04 the problem goes away? the "People try and claim that it happens only when people get mods done" is only a partially true statement. no one on here has said that you will not see any issues unless you have mods. the likelihood of you seeing issues just increases with aftermarket exhausts that don't burn off some of the excess blow-by. yes, the seals have issues, but once again, its in the setup of the CAR and not the TURBO.

then how come when Mazda replaces the k04 with a k04 the problem goes away? the "People try and claim that it happens only when people get mods done" is only a partially true statement. no one on here has said that you will not see any issues unless you have mods. the likelihood of you seeing issues just increases with aftermarket exhausts that don't burn off some of the excess blow-by. yes, the seals have issues, but once again, its in the setup of the CAR and not the TURBO.

Not true, and if you want to see that go ahead and check out skylinemonsters thread about the issue. Next thing, i can not attest to the replacing a K04 with a k04 because well sadly when i went in they said "no, sorry buddy we cant replace the turbo." So what else should i think besides bad turbo. Sorry that im hurting yalls feelings and stuff i apologize but yes bad turbo indeed.

Not true, and if you want to see that go ahead and check out skylinemonsters thread about the issue. Next thing, i can not attest to the replacing a K04 with a k04 because well sadly when i went in they said "no, sorry buddy we cant replace the turbo." So what else should i think besides bad turbo. Sorry that im hurting yalls feelings and stuff i apologize but yes bad turbo indeed.

try a different dealer. this is a documented issue with Mazda. I do know, however that many are giving people problems with aftermarket parts when they go in, but most people with stock cars will not have an issue getting the turbo replaced, which remedies the situation.

Get your facts straight bro, why do you say that our motors cannot keep up with the ATP GT3071R/76R. obviously you are a noob to boosted cars. I bet you think you slap on a bigger turbo, raise the boost and it should go faster? Boom goes your motor. Amazingly, there ARE people who believe this and blow their motor.

Our cars don't have any form of aftermarket fuel system(injectors, walbro pump) Bigger turbos need more fuel. Then comes the tuning. That is where the big power comes from after you upgrade your fuel system. Specific maps need to be built for each boost level.

380-400whp is achievable w/ the 71R/76R once there is some form of fuel system and a great tune. But again, I don't know how much abuse our blocks can take. For example, the stock VQ block in my 350z will be able to withstand 380-420whp on a stock block boosted w/ a great tune. But w/ a built VQ, up to 750whp is attainable.

Any numbers are achievable and I see that Protege garage came out w/ a built motor for our cars. That is a huge plus.

I suggest comments like these should be kept to yourself.

Last edited:
Get your facts straight bro, why do you say that our motors cannot keep up with the ATP GT3071R/76R. obviously you are a noob to boosted cars. I bet you think you slap on a bigger turbo, raise the boost and it should go faster? Boom goes your motor. Amazingly, there ARE people who believe this and blow their motor.

Our cars don't have any form of aftermarket fuel system(injectors, walbro pump) Bigger turbos need more fuel. Then comes the tuning. That is where the big power comes from after you upgrade your fuel system. Specific maps need to be built for each boost level.

380-400whp is achievable w/ the 71R/76R once there is some form of fuel system and a great tune. But again, I don't know how much abuse our blocks can take. For example, the stock VQ block in my 350z will be able to withstand 380-420whp on a stock block boosted w/ a great tune. But w/ a built VQ, up to 750whp is attainable.

Any numbers are achievable and I see that Protege garage came out w/ a built motor for our cars. That is a huge plus.

I suggest comments like these should be kept to yourself.

Silly lil guy, im almost 100% positive ms6mike through on a bigger turbo had it tuned "safely" ands still blew his motor. Sad day. Research more before you decide to post.

try a different dealer. this is a documented issue with Mazda. I do know, however that many are giving people problems with aftermarket parts when they go in, but most people with stock cars will not have an issue getting the turbo replaced, which remedies the situation.

to late as i already have an ATP turbo now.

Silly lil guy, im almost 100% positive ms6mike through on a bigger turbo had it tuned "safely" ands still blew his motor. Sad day. Research more before you decide to post.

(scratch) you just contradicted yourself. the point being made is that bigger turbos are not necessarily a good thing...and you just proved it with the example of mike blowing his engine...

zach21087 said:
to late as i already have an ATP turbo now.

see your own post...be careful now!

Back