Still tire shopping for my 2021 CX-5, staying with stock size. Suggestions?

Was interested in Falken Wildpeak AT's, but I fear they would be noisy.
Anyway, I live in Arkansas where we get a lot of rain, maybe a 1 time snow (couple years ago we had over a foot of it), maybe some freezing rain and sleet.
Kind of unpredictable weather, as any of you familiar with Arkansas may know.

We have enjoyed our General Altimax RT43 on several vehicles. (They are discontinued now and replaced by RT45)

We have Continental crosscontact LX25's on our 19 CX5 diesel and they do everything very well except hydroplaning resistance in heavy rain .

Those are the two I have personal experience with on cx5

Was interested in Falken Wildpeak AT's, but I fear they would be noisy.
Anyway, I live in Arkansas where we get a lot of rain, maybe a 1 time snow (couple years ago we had over a foot of it), maybe some freezing rain and sleet.
Kind of unpredictable weather, as any of you familiar with Arkansas may know.
if you are looking at AT tires then you should be satisfied with Michelin CrossClimate2. Good for all weather, snow too. My next on the list if you dont like the price of Michelin would be Pirelli Scorpion Plus 3 AS.

btw Costco still has 150 off promo on Michelins till end of tomorrow.

We have enjoyed our General Altimax RT43 on several vehicles. (They are discontinued now and replaced by RT45)

We have Continental crosscontact LX25's on our 19 CX5 diesel and they do everything very well except hydroplaning resistance in heavy rain .

Those are the two I have personal experience with on cx5
I can attest to the Altimax RT45 being good in the northeast. The only time I noticed them slip for me was on ice. They are good in rain too (we don't usually deal with much hydroplaning up here though). To me, the RT45 feels like it was made for the CX-5. OP's climate and use case might call for a different tire, but I think the RT45 or the Continentals would be a good option for most climates that don't deal with much ice or off-roading.

if you are looking at AT tires then you should be satisfied with Michelin CrossClimate2. Good for all weather, snow too. My next on the list if you dont like the price of Michelin would be Pirelli Scorpion Plus 3 AS.

btw Costco still has 150 off promo on Michelins till end of tomorrow.
I know the CrossClimates are directional, so they can only be rotated front to back.
Anyone know if they wear faster than tires that can be cross rotated?

I was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's, due to premature wear and looked at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad in fact, that he returned them to COSTCO. Now....I run separate winter tires on their own rims as we have at least 4 months of winter where I live. If you have only the occasional snow the Michelin CC2's might be the tire for you as it is a true 4 season tire. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.

I was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's, due to premature wear and looked at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad in fact, that he returned them to COSTCO. Now....I run separate winter tires on their own rims as we have at least 4 months of winter where I live. If you have only the occasional snow the Michelin CC2's might be the tire for you as it is a true 4 season tire. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.
Got mine(Pirelli's) last fall and if they continue to perform and hold up well they'll be at the top of the list come replacement time. Seems to me that tire shopping can be a PITA and a crapshoot so it's nice to find something you are really happy with and would purchase again.

We live in NW Arkansas and we put the continental crosscontact on my wifes 21 cx-5 and have been really happy with them thus far. We changed them out at around 20k miles and just went over 50k on the odometer. The originals that came on it were so bad in the rain, and in general, that i think most tires would have seemed like luxury tires. A little more info if interested, we sometimes do some spirited driving in her car. We got the JB4 tuner from burger, and those tires grip pretty well. We rotate regularly and have noticed very little wear on them.

+1 for the General Altimax RT43 (now RT45 apparently). My RT43's have about 37000 miles on them and they have been excellent. Originally, I had seen comments about adding just a few PSI over factory recommendations to improve handling. Mine have been kept at 37-38psi the whole time and everything's perfect.

+1 for the General Altimax RT43 (now RT45 apparently). My RT43's have about 37000 miles on them and they have been excellent. Originally, I had seen comments about adding just a few PSI over factory recommendations to improve handling. Mine have been kept at 37-38psi the whole time and everything's perfect.
Good to hear those are running well. I was worried about the newer RT45 doing well in the winter due to the harder compound, but they did very well this past winter here in upstate NY. Almost never lost grip and handled well with just a couple of extra PSI like you said.

This is normally my go-to as well. But the Pirelli Scorpion is getting amazing reviews. Somebody else mentioned General Altimax RT, which I think could be a good value play.
once upon a time, michelin may have been the "only one to get" with good tread and super long treadlife, but that was a long time ago. i remember my dad praising michelin in the 80s and 90s. nowadays, there are other brands that have very good tires, and there are also michelin tires that are not that good in certain ways. it's also worth considering the value brands under the big names. bf goodrich is the mid-tier brand under michelin, then there's uniroyal under that (budget brand?). both of those brands also have some decent tires. continental has general and several other brands of tires. until recently, i thought general was a no-name asian knock-off brand, based on its name.

if we look at only the mileage warranty and price -yes. Otherwise its debatable :)
but there are lots of options for everyday use indeed

Michelin Cross Climate 2’s. I’m in Northern Alabama and the weather is pretty similar. Lots of rain (flooding type, poorly drained highway design). Maybe a snowfall or two a year that closes the road up the mountain to home.

Back