Starting after 15 years

spencert

:
1987 RX7 Turbo II
Sorry if this exists elsewhere. I searched by several topics before posting here but didn't see any related threads.

Anyway, I have an 87 RX7 Turbo II and I am going to try to re-start it this coming weekend after having it in (controlled temperature) storage for 15 years. It ran completely fine when I put it up.

What should I be concerned with before firing it up?
I am a little worried about the rotor seals(teflon I think?), but also wanted to see if anyone else had done this and what I need to do to keep from damaging the engine. I am planning on flushing the gas tank, radiator, oil, etc. It is a manual, so do I need to do anything with the transmission or rear end? Anything else?

you should remove the spark plugs and add a tea spoon of oil to each spark plug hole then rotate the engine a 1/4 turn by hand with a 19 or 21 mm socket on the end of the crank. add another tea spoon again, rotate the motor again untill you've completed a revoltion. rotate the motor by hand again. then disconnect the fuel pump relay and crank the motor for 15-30 seconds then the motor should be ready to start.

My brother in law has a rx7 that's been stored for years that he's passively trying to sell. I've often thought of buying it and getting it running but I'm not sure about how much work it would be. It's been sitting for 10+ years I'm not exactly sure.

Back