2017~2024 Start/Stop on CX-5

Just curious. Why do you like it?
I have a 2020 CX5 and it does not have that feature, thank goodness! But it's leased and we just signed for a 2023 (turbo) & dealer didn't mention i-stop when I asked of differences between out 2020 GTR and the '23 Turbo which replaced the Reserve. (we bought a 2023 Hyundai earlier this month and it has the start/stop, also with a button to press to disable it EVERY time you get into the car. I forget to do it as just not something one should be forced to do.) The better idea would be to build the cars with this feature OFF, with driver having to press button to engage it.
I think the guy who said he was glad left out that his doesn't have it...

Last edited:
I have a 2020 CX5 and it does not have that feature, thank God! But it's leased and we just signed for a 2023 & dealer didn't tell me the new one has this horrid feature. (we bought a 2023 Hyundai earlier this month and it has the start/stop, also with a button to press to disable it EVERY time you get into the car. I forget to do it as just not something one should be forced to do.) The better idea would be to build the cars with this feature OFF, with driver having to press button to engage it. What a load of crap this govt is dumping on us.
I think the guy who said he was glad left out that his doesn't have it...
Are you saying the top-trim US 2023 CX-5 now features i-stop? If that’s the case, i-stop or start/stop system feature on CX-5 has nothing to do with the US government, Either DOT or EPA hasn’t mandated this feature to be available to the US market.

All the newer Mazda seem to be getting it, including the CX-30 and my CX-50. I hated it with a PASSION, but I installed a plug&play device that disables it. Hallelujah! Hopefully, either the same module will work on the CX-5 (my one also works on the CX-30), or they'll soon come out with one that does.

My writeup here: Disabling iStop - an installation how-to

Are you saying the top-trim US 2023 CX-5 now features i-stop? If that’s the case, i-stop or start/stop system feature on CX-5 has nothing to do with the US government, Either DOT or EPA hasn’t mandated this feature to be available to the US market.
I was reading the online manual last nite ahead of picking up the car.( I never entered the car on the lot). Will call Dealership today, but hopefully I read a global manual & this feature won't be on the car..Fingers crossed! I revised my orig. commrents.

Last edited:
All the newer Mazda seem to be getting it, including the CX-30 and my CX-50. I hated it with a PASSION, but I installed a plug&play device that disables it. Hallelujah! Hopefully, either the same module will work on the CX-5 (my one also works on the CX-30), or they'll soon come out with one that does.

My writeup here: Disabling iStop - an installation how-to
It’s strange that the only available online 2023 sales brochure from Mazda North American Operations is the CX-50. I couldn’t find any info or specs mentioned i-stop start-stop feature in the sales brochure.

I was reading the online manual last nite ahead of picking up the car.( I never entered the car on the lot). Will call Dealership today, but hopefully I read a global manual & this feature won't be on the car..Fingers crossed! I revised my orig. commrents.
Yeh the official sales brochure for 2023 US CX-5 seems not to be available from MNAO yet. The easiest way to find out if the US 2023 CX-5 features i-stop start / stop system is to check out a 2023 CX-5 in person and look for the “i-stop OFF” button on the switch panel.

8723DFE7-B3AD-4C11-B5FD-3E6138666888.jpeg

Based on my past experience trying to verify the cylinder deactivation feature in 2018, you may have a hard time to verify the existence of this i-stop start / stop system from your Mazda dealer or even from MNAO directly.

Remember Mazda’s i-stop requires a special Q-85 battery which is only available at the Mazda dealers. Someone had mentioned it costs about $400+ USD and re-programming is also required.

This also makes me believe Mazda’s i-stop start / stop system still uses starter in addition to utilize the compression cycle to re-start the engine. The schematic diagram of the i-stop is also showed the starter is a part of Mazda’s i-stop system.

This also makes me believe Mazda’s i-stop start / stop system still uses starter in addition to utilize the compression cycle to re-start the engine. The schematic diagram of the i-stop is also showed the starter is a part of Mazda’s i-stop system.
For my CX-50 it does indeed use the starter (and has the beefed up battery). I could hear the starter turn momentarily every time it restarted. Admittedly, the engine did start virtually instantaneously, but I 'felt' that additional wear every time :)

The re-programming thing I've not heard about. Do you know why/what? I was hoping that in a few years when I have to change the battery, I could use a simple one since I've disabled the iStop.

For my CX-50 it does indeed use the starter (and has the beefed up battery). I could hear the starter turn momentarily every time it restarted. Admittedly, the engine did start virtually instantaneously, but I 'felt' that additional wear every time :)
Thanks for the clarification as some believe Mazda’s i-stop doesn’t use starter to re-start the engine.

Mazda doesn't use the starter to restart the engine. It uses compression to get it going.
It's faster, and it doesn't shorten the life of the starter. Better system.
I rented a Chevy Cruze when I was in Vegas in 2019, and it had start stop (using the starter).
There was no disable switch. It was awful.
I learned quickly though. If I came to a stop, I would have one foot on the brake and the other foot on the gas, just to prevent it from shutting off.
Never would I knowingly buy a car that has this feature.

The re-programming thing I've not heard about. Do you know why/what? I was hoping that in a few years when I have to change the battery, I could use a simple one since I've disabled the iStop.
Yes when you replace the Q-85 battery it requires reprogramming or registering the battery (ID?) by the Mazda dealer.

As far as I know, if you own a Mazda with i-Stop or i-Eloop, you need to use Q85 battery, which costs 3x more and needs to reprogram it. Some owners were brave enough to DIY. Some went thru without drama, but others saw ERRORs on the dash.

BTW, dealers near me wanted $500 for a Q85 battery replacement of my '16 Mazda6 GT with i-Eloop. I negotiated it down to $0 (with dealer's special cash fund) since I own 3 Mazdas (and sold one before them). My service advisor called his big boss to get approval. I gave him a satisfaction rating of 10 afterwards. Why not.

Warning signs after battery replacement

I know some late BMW vehicles also need reprogramming or registering the new battery with BMW computer by BMW dealer.

Back