2017~2024 Sport Mode Switch Location

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I wish the Sport Mode switch on my 2020 Signature was in a better location. The times I want to use it I'm about to hit the accelerator to pass another vehicle and I don't want to have to look down at the shift panel to find it or fiddle around to feel it while I keep my eyes on the road. I suppose the latter is what most users learn to do but I sure wish it were on the steering wheel instead. Granted there may just be no room for it there.

Tapping the paddle shifter twice. Generally, at most speeds, sport mode on my Signature is running 2 gears lower then normal mode. But I'm with you, tapping the sport mode toggle gives a quicker downshift than mashing the pedal

I have a CX-9 but I share the same thoughts about the location of the Sport button. Would be nice if it was on the steering wheel or on the shift knob.

It's annoying but it is isolated enough that I can find it without looking after a bit of searching. I bet with a minute or two of practice anyone could find it without any issues, it would be just like touching your nose without looking.

Yes I agree that should be so. I can find the volume dial easily but still have to feel around a bit for that switch. It's annoying if you want to use it for passing on a two lane road as you often have to make a quick decision and don't have spare seconds to search for it. Maybe with time and practise as you say.

If you mash the pedal to the floor to pass, what does using sport mode actually do? From my experience, it just holds the lower gears longer while driving around. The shift points don't change when you floor it.

I find it very easy to locate since it's directly to the left of the shifter when in Drive. I'm also not sure why anyone would think activating a Sport button is the appropriate method to initiate acceleration for a pass. If you are desiring faster acceleration response, you should already be in Sport mode as you are approaching the car to pass and evaluating the ability to safely pass. As pointed out, shifting down a gear or two in preparation for the pass is another simple method for quicker response. Additionally, if the very slight lag between pressing the accelerator and achieving acceleration is impacting your ability to pass, then it seems likely that it is an ill advised pass from a safety standpoint.

It would just be a general improvement for me. Instead of having to look down or feel around to toggle the switch, it would be easier to toggle it with my thumb on the steering wheel.

Also, given that the current location of the Sport switch is surrounded by piano black, relocating the switch to the steering wheel means that there is less reason to touch the piano black around the shifter, which means less scratching in that area.

I'm curious as to what other vehicles those of you wanting this relocation have driven. The location is pretty much the standard location for such a switch across most brands. Chances are every single control would be "easier" if it was on the steering wheel and we didn't need to move our hands to operate them. But it would be very crowded if they were all moved there. Yes, but "this one makes sense to be there" because I want it there.... can be said about different controls by different drivers, hence why the industry has adopted some standard locations that are mostly adhered to.

I'm curious as to what other vehicles those of you wanting this relocation have driven. The location is pretty much the standard location for such a switch across most brands. Chances are every single control would be "easier" if it was on the steering wheel and we didn't need to move our hands to operate them. But it would be very crowded if they were all moved there. Yes, but "this one makes sense to be there" because I want it there.... can be said about different controls by different drivers, hence why the industry has adopted some standard locations that are mostly adhered to.

I'm sure there is a reason for where they decided to place the Sport button. Regardless of this, like @Pitter, I would prefer if it were on the steering wheel. It doesn't matter what other cars I've driven, or where the "normal" place for that switch is. If I could move it somewhere else, the steering wheel is where I'd put it. I personally wouldn't call it a design flaw, its just personal preference.

I rarely ever use the voice controls on the left side of the steering wheel, so I'd move those to the console and put the Sport switch there instead.

I'm sure there is a reason for where they decided to place the Sport button. Regardless of this, like @Pitter, I would prefer if it were on the steering wheel. It doesn't matter what other cars I've driven, or where the "normal" place for that switch is. If I could move it somewhere else, the steering wheel is where I'd put it. I personally wouldn't call it a design flaw, its just personal preference.

I rarely ever use the voice controls on the left side of the steering wheel, so I'd move those to the console and put the Sport switch there instead.
Likewise, I said I'm curious about the other cars. Glad you clarified that your own individual thoughts are valid to share, but that my personal curiosity about comparison points "doesn't matter"

I don't think some of you really know what the purpose of the mode is. It's meant to be used while driving around where you want to hold a gear. It's not meant to be used for quickly passing someone. If you timed yourself going from 40 - 60, you would see no improvement between using sport mode and leaving it in normal mode.

Likewise, I said I'm curious about the other cars. Glad you clarified that your own individual thoughts are valid to share, but that my personal curiosity about comparison points "doesn't matter"

I don't think I said that at all. You said you were curious to know what other cars I've driven. I said that I thought it didn't matter what I've driven in the past. I was only speaking for myself. If I don't want to answer your question, I don't have to. I did not imply that your personal curiosity doesn't matter, I simply didn't want to answer the question.

That said, since you want to know..
1984 Chevy Celebrity
1991 Honda Accord LX
1999 Honda Accord EX-L
2008 Lexus IS250 AWD
2006 Honda Civic DX
2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I have also driven other vehicles - 2003 Toyota Highlander, 2005 BMW X3, 2018 Chevy Equinox 2.0T, 2018 Nissan Murano, 2019 Infiniti QX60, 2020 Nissan Pathfinder, 2021 Subaru Ascent.

I don't think some of you really know what the purpose of the mode is. It's meant to be used while driving around where you want to hold a gear. It's not meant to be used for quickly passing someone. If you timed yourself going from 40 - 60, you would see no improvement between using sport mode and leaving it in normal mode.

Absolutely true, but there is at least one situation I can think of where the switch is most useful. For me, it's when I'm approaching an onramp for a highway merge. As I approach the onramp, I can toggle the switch, which drops me into a lower gear. I can then proceed through the onramp with minimal braking, then accelerate with slightly more responsiveness to merge into traffic since the car has maintained a lower gear. Sure I could use the shifter to manually downshift instead - it's certainly easier to locate, and it isn't much more effort to use. I just like using the switch. Putting the switch on the steering wheel would simply make it a bit easier for me.

I don't think I said that at all. You said you were curious to know what other cars I've driven. I said that I thought it didn't matter what I've driven in the past. I was only speaking for myself. If I don't want to answer your question, I don't have to. I did not imply that your personal curiosity doesn't matter, I simply didn't want to answer the question.

That said, since you want to know..
1984 Chevy Celebrity
1991 Honda Accord LX
1999 Honda Accord EX-L
2008 Lexus IS250 AWD
2006 Honda Civic DX
2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

I have also driven other vehicles - 2003 Toyota Highlander, 2005 BMW X3, 2018 Chevy Equinox 2.0T, 2018 Nissan Murano, 2019 Infiniti QX60, 2020 Nissan Pathfinder, 2021 Subaru Ascent.
Thanks for sharing what you didn't have to or want to. It provides quite a bit more context around experience with multiple driving modes and control location.

Absolutely true, but there is at least one situation I can think of where the switch is most useful. For me, it's when I'm approaching an onramp for a highway merge. As I approach the onramp, I can toggle the switch, which drops me into a lower gear. I can then proceed through the onramp with minimal braking, then accelerate with slightly more responsiveness to merge into traffic since the car has maintained a lower gear. Sure I could use the shifter to manually downshift instead - it's certainly easier to locate, and it isn't much more effort to use. I just like using the switch. Putting the switch on the steering wheel would simply make it a bit easier for me.
I guess Mazda sort of did address this with the addition of paddle shifters (on some trims) to more recent model year CX-5s. This does allow changing to a lower gear for such an instance and reverting back to fully automatic, without changing drive mode.

Haven't driven a vehicle with a "sport mode" switch before. My IHC S-120 4x4 didn't have one.

This. Its essentially an O/D override. I've seen numerous references to fuel map changes, throttle response, shift points etc. (not necessarily on this forum). I find it unlikely that its anything other than what Sig is describing above.

Given that, I owned about 5 or so late 90s Eclipse GSX models, one of which was an automatic. The O/D override was located right on the shifter and was very easy to find. I suppose they wouldnt put the sport switch on the CX5 shifter as there would be concern for people accidentally activating it leading to lower MPGs when cruising down the highway in 4th gear.

This. Its essentially an O/D override. I've seen numerous references to fuel map changes, throttle response, shift points etc. (not necessarily on this forum). I find it unlikely that its anything other than what Sig is describing above.

Given that, I owned about 5 or so late 90s Eclipse GSX models, one of which was an automatic. The O/D override was located right on the shifter and was very easy to find. I suppose they wouldnt put the sport switch on the CX5 shifter as there would be concern for people accidentally activating it leading to lower MPGs when cruising down the highway in 4th gear.
It's not at all an overdrive override, which simply locks a transmission out of overdrive (generally top gear). And it's not exactly what Sig described either as being intended to simply hold a gear.

What it does it is adjust the transmission shift logic and throttle response, which results in the transmission remaining in gears longer before upshifting, and providing a quicker response to throttle inputs. This overall will make the car more responsive, and it will accelerate quicker as it will already be in a lower gear versus having to first downshift for maximum acceleration. Fuel map does not change, and ultimate acceleration once in the same gear at full throttle will be the same.

What it does it is adjust the transmission shift logic and throttle response, which results in the transmission remaining in gears longer before upshifting, and providing a quicker response to throttle inputs. This overall will make the car more responsive, and it will accelerate quicker as it will already be in a lower gear versus having to first downshift for maximum acceleration. Fuel map does not change, and ultimate acceleration once in the same gear at full throttle will be the same.

The above that is bolded is only true when not simply mashing the "pedal to the metal". This is what the OP was referring to when he asked the question. He's looking to pass someone quickly. Having sport mode enabled will not get him around the vehicle any faster.

Back