Sport gear mode on 2016 Cx5

Car will have more than 14xx miles on it.

Yeah, and I don't think it's smart to beat on a new vehicle that gets heavy use in traffic for 10 to 20 minutes going 2 miles. I have a 2 mile one way commute to work. Last 2 years, I've average 8300 miles a year. I drive fleet cars more than I drive my own vehicles, and some days I don't bring my car home because of fleet vehicle. I debated CX5 and an E39 M5(basically same price once M5 has been serviced properly). I got the CX5 because of better usage, and I couldn't find an M5 to my liking. I'll probably get something sporty in a couple of years.

Used it this morning merging on the highway, knowing it's always a PITA with all the traffic. Damn I love this mode. Such a difference. And a fun one at that.

I did some testing with the SPORT MODE. It definetely changes the gas pedal input, throttle body and fuel curve.

When it normal mode in 3rd gear at approx MPH, gas pedal about 1/4 depressed and the same RPM, the vehicle was slowly accelerating. Then when in SPORT mode and 3rd gear and the same MPH, gas pedal identical at 1/4 depressed and the same RPM, the vehicle accelerated rapidly. It was weird on how drastically it changed while keeping the same 3rd gear and in the same RPM range.

So the SPORT mode changes the gas pedal sensitivity and modifies the fuel curve and throttle position. I also believe it either unlocks or locks the torque converter differently than it would in normal mode. The engine wakes up while maintaining the same gear position in the trans and the same RPM on the tach.

In SPORT mode the engine behaves totally different.

What's everyone's opinion on using Sport sporadically or long-term usage, will this tax the engine or cause any issues in the long run? I tend to flip it on every so often or sometimes use it for maybe a short highway drive. Other than the mpg hit I wonder if it's not something to use a ton as it holds the gears so long and the rpm's seem to stay high as well. Granted going into manual mode combined with Sport seems to make better use of it.

I had a 2014 M3 GT and had a blast using Sport mode with paddle shifting....sooooo much fun!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

So, does the Sport mode only work in D on Auto mode?

Does the Sport mode work in M mode when manually shifting gears through the Auto? ie. is there a difference in Manual mode of the Auto when activating the Sport switch?

I really wish Mazda would offer a proper 3-pedal solution to the sporty driving question in the 2.5L trim levels for this vehicle.

I really wish Mazda would offer a proper 3-pedal solution to the sporty driving question in the 2.5L trim levels for this vehicle.

Do you mean the paddle shifters?

I installed the OEM ones on my CX5 and they work great!

So, does the Sport mode only work in D on Auto mode?

Does the Sport mode work in M mode when manually shifting gears through the Auto? ie. is there a difference in Manual mode of the Auto when activating the Sport switch?

It works in manual mode also but instead of the computer shifting, it's up to you to shift.

It sounds normal to me. In simple, I have noticed that going into sport mode does 2 things:
1: Downshifts the car so you are at a higher RPM (could be by multiple gears?). You can go into manual mode at the same time to control this yourself too.
2: Makes the gas pedal a little more sensitive/ responsive (to see this, go into manual, drive a bit in one gear, then go to sport mode while still in manual so that you stay in that same gear. You should notice some difference)

If you have not gone into manual mode and are just in sport, then yes, you are probably in a lower gear, thus have a higher RPM. If you go into manual mode, then you can override this. I have noticed when I switch to manual mode, the car also downshifts by one, so potentially if you were in 6 on the highway, you could end up at 4 just by going to sport and manual, until you change gears

It works in manual mode also but instead of the computer shifting, it's up to you to shift.

Sounds good! Good thing about the Skyactiv transmission in M mode is that it holds its gear and won't change unless you do so regardless of the Sport switch.

Nope. I mean a manual transmission. I would have loved to have one. More economy (maybe), and more control.

Actually the manual trans on Mazda3's gets WORSE gas mileage than the automatic. You can't out-shift and out-think an auto trans. Manual transmissions are of the dinosaur era and will go extinct.

Last edited:
Actually the manual trans on Mazda3's gets WORSE gas mileage than the automatic. You can't out-shift and out-think an auto trans. Manual transmissions are of the dinosaur ear and will go extinct.

Unfortunately, I think you are correct about the era of the manual in most vehicles. That said, I refuse to buy a sports car without one.

You know it changes several parameters when you keep the gas pedal pushed the same and suddenly flip the switch to sport. The engine will respond to that.

The sport mode button will force the engine into a different map which keeps the rpm higher for more usable power when you depress the gas pedal. When Your cruising at highway speeds with the sport mode activated it will not shift to the next highest gear, it keeps your RPM high so that if you want to pull out and pass or something, the engine doesn't have to down shift first, your already in the lower gear. Great for aggressive driving, not so great for mpg.
Yep... normal. Sport Mode worked that way on my 2014 Mazda3 and still works that way (holding RPMs near the peak torque point of 3600 RPM) on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Also, as I recall from the 3 (where I used it more often) it will not let you engage Sport Mode unless you're stopped or going in a straight line and will disengage Sport Mode if you set the cruise control.

Sport Mode can be used with the manual mode on the gearshift where you can force an upshift, but that begs the question why you just wouldn't use manual mode in the first place.

Overall, i'll take this Sport Mode that actually changes something over one that doesn't change anything perceptible. Sport Mode and the kickdown switch on the bottom of the gas pedal can come in handy every once in awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I usually put my CX-3 into Sport mode and switch it off when the engine hits around 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. (Otherwise it'll keep winding out too high before it shifts automatically.) And when I'm slowing for a turn or stop, I flick it back into Sport. Those extra steps are a nuisance, but at least they make Sport mode more enjoyable.

I usually put my CX-3 into Sport mode and switch it off when the engine hits around 3000 RPM in 3rd gear. (Otherwise it'll keep winding out too high before it shifts automatically.) And when I'm slowing for a turn or stop, I flick it back into Sport. Those extra steps are a nuisance, but at least they make Sport mode more enjoyable.

Uhh, I don't think that's what Mazda engineers had in mind when they developed the feature.

Back