Sport gear mode on 2016 Cx5

That's because 4th gear is top speed. If you top the car out, it'll be in 4th gear. There is no power to above 4th.

Last edited:
Uhh, I don't think that's what Mazda engineers had in mind when they developed the feature.

That's what having it enables you to do; control your engine speed much better than the automatic could ever predict. Only the driver can decide they want to downshift because of a sharp curve, or they are approaching a large hill and want to stay in the powerband etc.

Yep... normal. Sport Mode worked that way on my 2014 Mazda3 and still works that way (holding RPMs near the peak torque point of 3600 RPM) on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Also, as I recall from the 3 (where I used it more often) it will not let you engage Sport Mode unless you're stopped or going in a straight line and will disengage Sport Mode if you set the cruise control.

Sport Mode can be used with the manual mode on the gearshift where you can force an upshift, but that begs the question why you just wouldn't use manual mode in the first place.

Overall, i'll take this Sport Mode that actually changes something over one that doesn't change anything perceptible. Sport Mode and the kickdown switch on the bottom of the gas pedal can come in handy every once in awhile.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I believe sport mode actually uses a slightly different ecu map. On sport mode cars you can actually have an aftermarket tune for normal and sport for that reason.

Mine has always reved higher on sport mode. It definitely has weird shift points and revs much higher. I tend to not use it because of this.

Mine has always reved higher on sport mode. It definitely has weird shift points and revs much higher. I tend to not use it because of this.

That's the point. It keeps the rpm in the optimal torque range for the most power available at any given time. As you drive, you'll just feel the car really jumpy. The increased throttle response is to thank but also having the most power available thanks to being kept in the best torque range.

I believe sport mode actually uses a slightly different ecu map. On sport mode cars you can actually have an aftermarket tune for normal and sport for that reason.
That is interesting, and it makes sense. Thanks for sharing

Yep... normal. Sport Mode worked that way on my 2014 Mazda3 and still works that way (holding RPMs near the peak torque point of 3600 RPM) on my 2016 CX-5 GT. Also, as I recall from the 3 (where I used it more often) it will not let you engage Sport Mode unless you're stopped or going in a straight line and will disengage Sport Mode if you set the cruise control.

Sport Mode can be used with the manual mode on the gearshift where you can force an upshift, but that begs the question why you just wouldn't use manual mode in the first place.

Overall, i'll take this Sport Mode that actually changes something over one that doesn't change anything perceptible. Sport Mode and the kickdown switch on the bottom of the gas pedal can come in handy every once in awhile.

This was driving me crazy..I have a 2016 CX-9. Peak torque is around 2,000 RPM. When in sports mode and the transmission is in 4 or 5th gear? (probably 4th) between 35-45mph, the RPMs jump to 3,000. This is regardless or weather or not my foot is on the gas pedal or the break pedal. For example, getting off the freeway at 65 mph, foot on the break pedal as I approach the intersection, RPMs are around 2,000 as soon as the car gets in the low to mid 40s mph (downshifting), the RPMs jump all of the sudden to 3,000 until it downshifts again (goes below 35mph)... I think it's stupid, especially since I'm slowing down. Also, driving in the city typically 35-50 mph, it's killer on the gas. The engine stays around 3,000 instead of 2,000 RPMs.

When slowing down, i.e. foot on brake, the fuel is cut off. So, even if it goes to 3000 RPM, it will not increase consumption.
Also, in sport mode responsiveness is preferred over fuel economy. Want the latter? Use normal mode ...

SDL - Peak torque is not equal to peak power. You have to multiply by RPM so Sport mode is giving you about 1/3 more power in the 2000-3000 rpm example you use. Also when off the gas you get a lot more engine braking at 3000 rpm vs. 2000.

I was rather worried when first driving my 2016.5 CX-5 in sport mode on the highway. But after further testing on the surface streets, figured it was designed to stay in a high rev state for better response.

I now always drive manual while using the sport function. This helps by allowing me to control the gears as I drive. I have found 4th to be a great gear for most "low speed" highway driving and 3rd to be a great surface street gear for zipping around.

I was rather worried when first driving my 2016.5 CX-5 in sport mode on the highway. But after further testing on the surface streets, figured it was designed to stay in a high rev state for better response.

I now always drive manual while using the sport function. This helps by allowing me to control the gears as I drive. I have found 4th to be a great gear for most "low speed" highway driving and 3rd to be a great surface street gear for zipping around.

Would rpm are you at in the 4th gear on the highway? Your gas mileage must be awful.

Back