Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Seriously. It's amazing how spoiled we have become. There was a time when all there was available was a one size fits all totally flat bench seat with a back that only went up below the shoulders, no head rest. Now we complain if there isn't 14 ways of adjustment and ventilation.

In 10 years we'll be complaining if the car doesn't come with massaging seats.

Yes, it's amazing. I totally agree.

Seriously. It's amazing how spoiled we have become. There was a time when all there was available was a one size fits all totally flat bench seat with a back that only went up below the shoulders, no head rest. Now we complain if there isn't 14 ways of adjustment and ventilation.
In 10 years we'll be complaining if the car doesn't come with massaging seats.
Yes, it's amazing. I totally agree.
You're missing the point here. If new CX-9 sells for $20,000+, nobody is going to complain if there isn't 14 ways of adjustment and ventilation on the seat. But we're complaining about for a $45,000+ CUV that the driver seat offers only 6 ways of power adjustment! Try to find ANY other vehicle with this price range offers such a few driver seat adjustments! In fact, by doing this, it's Mazda's loss as many shorter drivers will have a hard time to find a safe and comfortable position to drive this new CX-9 and have to get something else! The fact that previous-gen CX-9 does have usual 8 ways of power adjustment which makes it inexcusable for Mazda who cuts corners in such a way for its most expensive and luxurious vehicle in its lineup. It eventually will hurt Mazda itself, not potential car buyers or competitors!

You're missing the point here. If new CX-9 sells for $20,000+, nobody is going to complain if there isn't 14 ways of adjustment and ventilation on the seat. But we're complaining about for a $45,000+ CUV that the driver seat offers only 6 ways of power adjustment! Try to find ANY other vehicle with this price range offers such a few driver seat adjustments! In fact, by doing this, it's Mazda's loss as many shorter drivers will have a hard time to find a safe and comfortable position to drive this new CX-9 and have to get something else! The fact that previous-gen CX-9 does have usual 8 ways of power adjustment which makes it inexcusable for Mazda who cuts corners in such a way for its most expensive and luxurious vehicle in its lineup. It eventually will hurt Mazda itself, not potential car buyers or competitors!

It is a fair criticism. Technically though, it is an 8 way with the lumbar. Minimally, Mazda should've done a 10 way. It's only going to cost them more to have to re-engineer the seat if they do it for a refresh than if they did it from the start. Honestly, I don't think they will.

My point was just more in general of what we expect of cars these days. I mainly say that because everyone also complains about how expensive cars keep getting. Look at the massive improvements made each decade while car prices basically don't increase much beyond inflation.

You cannot have it all. I compare prices between Mazda CX9, Nissan Pathfinder & Honda Pilot and Mazda wins in price, design, handling and performance. Yes, you don't have remote start, you don't have front park sensors, etc. But the price is ok, I think. Can you please explain me wich adjustment is missing in the CX9 turbo?. I visit the dealer today and sit and get a comfortable position without any issue. I read a lot on forums about the issue with the seat but don't understand well. (headshake

It is a fair criticism. Technically though, it is an 8 way with the lumbar. Minimally, Mazda should've done a 10 way. It's only going to cost them more to have to re-engineer the seat if they do it for a refresh than if they did it from the start. Honestly, I don't think they will.
Here are the Mazda way to describe power seat from different models:

2016 Mazda6 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat
2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring:
8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar adjustment and memory settings

2016.5 CX-5 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar support
2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring:
8-way power driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support

2015 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power-adjustable drivers seat with power-adjustable lumbar support
2015 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Drivers power seat memory

2016 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Driver's seat memory

All 8-way power driver's seats, except 2016 CX-9's offer power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, front height adjustment of seat bottom, seat recline, and additional lumbar support adjustment. The 8-way power driver's seat in 2016 CX-9 which lacks front height adjustment of seat bottom, is exactly like 6-way power driver's seat found in CX-5 Touring and Mazda6 Touring but with additional power lumbar support! For 2016 CX-9, Mazda should say "6-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support", or it's simply a case of false advertising.

No, it's very easy to have a true 8-way power driver's seat in new 2016 CX-9 simply by re-use all the parts and step-motor from previous-gen CX-9. Mazda simply is trying to save some cost. Penny wise, pound foolish!

You cannot have it all. I compare prices between Mazda CX9, Nissan Pathfinder & Honda Pilot and Mazda wins in price, design, handling and performance. Yes, you don't have remote start, you don't have front park sensors, etc. But the price is ok, I think. Can you please explain me wich adjustment is missing in the CX9 turbo?. I visit the dealer today and sit and get a comfortable position without any issue. I read a lot on forums about the issue with the seat but don't understand well. (headshake

The seat base doesn't have tilt adjustment. Although when raised, it tilts slightly forward in the process. I'm sure a majority of people will be comfortable but odd body types may not.

I have 3 cars, and neither of them have tilt or lumbar adjustment. No telescopic wheels either.

Can you please explain me wich adjustment is missing in the CX9 turbo?
A standard 8-way power driver's seat from Mazda has power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, front height adjustment of seat bottom, and seat recline. But 2016 CX-9's 8-way power driver's seat has no front height adjustment of seat bottom. If you push or pull the front edge of horizontal power seat adjuster, the front of seat bottom won't move up and down, but the whole seat bottom moves.

Also, when you bring the driver's seat up with seat height adjuster, it does not just lift it up vertically but instead causes the back of the bottom cushion to be raised more than the front. If you raise the seat too much as the shorter driver would do, the bottom cushion becomes more flat. This works exactly like 6-way power driver's seat found on the Mazda6 Touring and CX-5 Touring.

Here are the Mazda way to describe power seat from different models:

2016 Mazda6 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat
2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring:
8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar adjustment and memory settings

2016.5 CX-5 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar support
2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring:
8-way power driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support

2015 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power-adjustable drivers seat with power-adjustable lumbar support
2015 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Drivers power seat memory

2016 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Driver's seat memory

All 8-way power driver's seats, except 2016 CX-9's offer power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, front height adjustment of seat bottom, seat recline, and additional lumbar support adjustment. The 8-way power driver's seat in 2016 CX-9 which lacks front height adjustment of seat bottom, is exactly like 6-way power driver's seat found in CX-5 Touring and Mazda6 Touring but with additional power lumbar support! For 2016 CX-9, Mazda should say "6-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support", or it's simply a case of false advertising.

No, it's very easy to have a true 8-way power driver's seat in new 2016 CX-9 simply by re-use all the parts and step-motor from previous-gen CX-9. Mazda simply is trying to save some cost. Penny wise, pound foolish!

Ultimately, it seems Mazda tried to save money in the wrong areas. Real rosewood carved in complex curves - expensive. Most people would rather have the extra seat adjustments and ventilation which is how the competition did it. No real wood (or aluminum). Can't have both for the price. Real wood doesn't have a function beyond beauty. People want functioning features.

Instead of continuously pointing out the problem with the seat adjustments here in the forum, why not channel it directly to Mazda? Don't they have a Facebook page or Twitter account where this apparent shortcoming can be raised and thereby acted upon? It's like we're in a really bad merry-go-round that won't stop. The seat adjustments are fine for most people and will likely buy the CX-9 if they really wanted it. For those that really need that seat bottom adjustment to gain the most comfortable driving position, it would be prudent to look elsewhere.

Now that the weather is getting warmer and I've had to use my VW GLI's A/C, I noticed that it takes a significant amount of time to cool down the vehicle. My CX-9 takes all but a few minutes. Is this due to the GLI's 4-cylinder turbo engine or is it because the CX-9 has a larger HVAC system that works faster? I think I did read that the previous gen CX-9 has 2 HVAC systems, one for the front and another for the rear 2 rows. I guess my point is, how would the new CX-9 HVAC fare in the Summer with a full-load of passengers and their cargo? Has anyone had the opportunity to observe this?

Based on We’re Driving A 2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Which Is Very Expensive, And Very Good, my concerns about the HVAC are warranted:

The air conditioning strangely struggled, yea even failed, to keep up with 80-degree weather, as well, which is hardly the heights of summertime warmth on the Atlantic coast of Canada, let alone in Arizona. The HVAC’s difficulty was severe enough that it’s hard to believe that this could be an affliction common to all new CX-9s and not just a problem unique to our CX-9 test specimen, which met its very first representative of the media in me. But you see now why I was complaining about the lack of cooled/ventilated seats at the $45,215 price point? We’re melting up in here.

As folks take their testdrives at the height of Summer, keep this in mind.

Article is comparing a 1965 Mustang with a 2016. That's much different than what I was getting at. Starting way back then, of course cars have outpaced inflation. Back then, the only "feature" you got was a crappy radio. It was Avery different time. Cars were different things.

I'm talking more in terms of the modern era, the last several model generations of cars. Look at the the price difference of an all new much improved redesign of a model to the previous models price. Likely only a small increase for much improvement.

The new CX-9 doesn't start much higher than the 2015, an 8 year old design. In most respects, it's a far better vehicle. Automakers have to figure out how to keep offering more and more, better and better with only incremental price increases.

JPL, Do you have a credible source to back up your "most people would rather have..." point, or is that just your opinion?
Ultimately, it seems Mazda tried to save money in the wrong areas. Real rosewood carved in complex curves - expensive. Most people would rather have the extra seat adjustments and ventilation which is how the competition did it. No real wood (or aluminum). Can't have both for the price. Real wood doesn't have a function beyond beauty. People want functioning features.

Holy s*** yrwei52, get over the friggin seat already. We've read your comments about 100 times now adnauseum. You're nothing but a spambot on this subject at this point.

Holy s*** yrwei52, get over the friggin seat already. We've read your comments about 100 times now adnauseum. You're nothing but a spambot on this subject at this point.
Sorry if I was trying to answer the question people asked but that offended you! :)

JPL, Do you have a credible source to back up your "most people would rather have..." point, or is that just your opinion?

Just an observation of reading thousands of online posts and reviews. I've been amazed at the countless comments across many sites that immediately dismissed the CX-9 because of a missing feature. Rather than
recognizing it as the brilliant machine that it is, they say "no panoramic roof, no thanks". I've never read a comment about a vehicle in this class that states, "No real wood? Pass".

Are you doubting this at all? Surely you've observed this as well.

Instead of continuously pointing out the problem with the seat adjustments here in the forum, why not channel it directly to Mazda? Don't they have a Facebook page or Twitter account where this apparent shortcoming can be raised and thereby acted upon? It's like we're in a really bad merry-go-round that won't stop. The seat adjustments are fine for most people and will likely buy the CX-9 if they really wanted it. For those that really need that seat bottom adjustment to gain the most comfortable driving position, it would be prudent to look elsewhere.

This is my point. I test drive the CX9 Turbo and it's fine for sure. I had a cx9 2011 since january 2011 until last week and don't notice a single difference. Maybe in my case, I don't need or use that extra adjust.

Just an observation of reading thousands of online posts and reviews. I've been amazed at the countless comments across many sites that immediately dismissed the CX-9 because of a missing feature. Rather than
recognizing it as the brilliant machine that it is, they say "no panoramic roof, no thanks". I've never read a comment about a vehicle in this class that states, "No real wood? Pass".

Are you doubting this at all? Surely you've observed this as well.

I agree. It's a brilliant machine. Last sunday I move it from my old cx9 to the new one for the test drive and I get the wow factor by 3x. I really like it! I can't wait until next week when I receive my new CX9 AWD GT

Yeah, that was posted here yesterday.

Hopefully we can get some more insight on how effective the AC is from owners in the heat of summer. This is a big deal for me. Feeling very cool and comfortable, especially in an expensive new car is one of the most important features. Particularly with leather seating, and with no ventilated seats, that AC better be strong enough.

Could this be an affliction of only having 4 cylinders? Is there a correlation between engine size and AC power?

Latest posts

Back