Guide Soft reset Mazda infotainment system

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT
My display did not turn on this morning, checked all the fuses (all good), seems like the radio didn't shutdown properly.

Found this online and it fixed the issue (sort of like a CTRL-ALT-DEL function), thought I would share and help someone if they encounter the same issue

You have to hold all 3 buttons down simultaneously for 10 seconds minimum.

attachment.php

Attachments

• reboot.jpg
    reboot.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 12,838
I read here that you really only need to hold mute + nav [back not req'd] for 10 sec.
Don't know if it's correct-- haven't had to try it.

It's sad that I have this memorized. I use it once every other month or so when the screen goes blank, or the backup camera doesn't come on.

It's sad that I have this memorized. I use it once every other month or so when the screen goes blank, or the backup camera doesn't come on.

Yeah, me too.. But I'm glad Mazda at least provided an easy fix like this and save a trip to the dealer and not get ripped off.

More for those interested.
However, proceed at your own risk... :)

(1) Soft reset: NAV+MUTE for 10 secs
(2) CPU Tool: MUSIC+BACK, Do it again to cancel
(3) Engineering mode: MUSIC+FAVORITE+MUTE (enter codes to get info)

In the worst case, shut down, and restart.

More for those interested.
However, proceed at your own risk... :)

(1) Soft reset: NAV+MUTE for 10 secs
(2) CPU Tool: MUSIC+BACK, Do it again to cancel
(3) Engineering mode: MUSIC+FAVORITE+MUTE (enter codes to get info)

In the worst case, shut down, and restart.

What do CPU Tool and Engineering mode do? Can you refer to more info?

my display did not turn on this morning, checked all the fuses (all good), seems like the radio didn't shutdown properly
found this online and it fixed the issue (sort of like a CTRL-ALT-DEL function),
thought I would share and help someone if they encounter the same issue

have to hold all 3 buttons down simultaneously for 10 seconds minimum

attachment.php
Thank you so much. It worked right away. I am so happy that’s all it took.

Just found out about this fix today. This not only affected the radio but power going to my front & rear dashcams that are powered via the cigarette lighter port. At first, I thought my dashcam was defective after having it for over a year. But yesterday when I was leaving work and turned on my '18 CX-5 Sport, for the first time, the radio screen was blank even though music was playing through my smartphone via USB. Does anyone know what the dealer charges, more/less, to update the infotainment software?? Thanks to @blackcx5 for the fix.

I always have to Google it because I can never remember it. 4 or 5 times in 7 years, I mean... not like I'm using it much...and my head unit is hacked.
And I'll probably forget its here next time and Google it. :D

I hate the way the head unit sticks out of the dash like it does. Not just in Mazda's but other cars as well. Just looks stupid to me and just begs to be ripped out by a thief. I know people will say why did I get the car if I didn't like it sticking out like it does. But at the time I needed a car since my '17 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk was totaled in a rear-end collision and insurance wouldn't pay the $17K to get it fixed. I was starting a new job within a week and the rental was due back to Enterprise. The rental was a '22 Toyota RAV4 and it also has the infotainment system center mounted like the Mazda. Hoping to get rid of the CX-5 soon and get another Trailhawk. Handles winter months better, too. Till then I'll just suck it up.

Back