So What ATF to use now?

:
2006 Mazda 6 - auto
Hi,

The spec sheets for Mobil 1, Castrol & Valvoline no longer list Mazda M-V compatibility. Wonder why that changed?

I emailed Valvoline, they say use their MaxLife ATF (but not Mazda isn't listed in spec sheet).

I don't want to use Mazda M-V since we had to get our new transmission replaced under warranty after 20k miles. I assume it was Mazda M-V since it was new from the factory.

Seems like only Red Line, Amsol, Royal Purple, Wolf's head make compatible fluids now. Wolf's head is cheapest, but appears to be small company. I'm leaning toward Red Line - any opinions?

I flushed with Mobil1 when I bought the 5 used last summer. Just did a drain and fill with Amsoil this week. Redline, Amsoil, or Royal Purple ... can't go wrong with either of the three IMO. I've never heard of Wolfs Head though.

Don't take my experience as endorsement, but I've drained/refilled with Maxlife DEX/MERC for the past 15k miles or so, and will probably continue. I called Valvoline 'tech support' to confirm compatibility and they said it was, but you can choose to believe or not. Funny thing to me is that Maxlife ATF specs for Netherlands lists compatibility, but no mention for Maxlife DEX/MERC, are they different? I'm not calling another country to find out. The VI is higher (better) for the DEX/MERC, so that's why I chose to use it.

My local dealer wants $14 qt. for FNR5 ATF.

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF does list M-V compatibility. Does look good on paper too, but still $6-7 qt. around here, so I chose the lesser (on paper) fluid with frequent drain/refills.

Also, since the maintenance schedule in the OM doesn't list any direction for fluid changing, the burden of proof is on the dealer if there's ever have a transmission issue - not that I'll share my ATF changing interval or flavor with them anyways.

Don't take my experience as endorsement, but I've drained/refilled with Maxlife DEX/MERC for the past 15k miles or so, and will probably continue. I called Valvoline 'tech support' to confirm compatibility and they said it was, but you can choose to believe or not. Funny thing to me is that Maxlife ATF specs for Netherlands lists compatibility, but no mention for Maxlife DEX/MERC, are they different? I'm not calling another country to find out. The VI is higher (better) for the DEX/MERC, so that's why I chose to use it.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the Netherlands & US Valvoline ATF are different - the specs are slightly different (the VI for the US version is higher). I emailed the US valvoline tech support - they said to use Maxlife - however I don't see any warranty on the Valvoline website.

By the way, Mercon V is not the same as M-V, so I don't see Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF as being suitable, it may be suitable in the same way the Valvoline Maxlife is?

How many total miles do you have on your Mazda 5? I have about 60k, but had the transmission replaced @20k or so under warranty - that's when I decided to do more ATF changes.

I'm aware about the Mercon V and M-V difference, that was the whole point of my explanation. I linked to all the data sheets for these ATF's; Castrol and Netherlands Maxlife both list Mazda M-V compatibility.

We are at about 32k miles.

ive switched to the castrol multi import atf. i drained the original mazda fluid at 50k, and it was black like oil. i got all that out and now just do a 3 qt "spill and fill" every 5k when i change the oil. The castrol is a nice red color when i drain it out and seems to be holding up well. Shift quality is unchanged. It is about $6 a qt at autozone.

Last edited:
ive switched to the castrol multi import atf. i drained the original mazda fluid at 50k, and it was black like oil. i got all that out and now just do a 3 qt "spill and fill" every 5k when i change the oil. The castrol is a nice red color when i drain it out and seems to be holding up well. Shift quality is unchanged. It is about $6 a qt at autozone.

Thanks for the info - I checked the data sheet again - looks like they added Mazda M-V back as being compatible, or maybe I just missed it (flcrusing pointed this out). This oil is only about $5.50 at OSH of all places - probably going to go with this since you've had a good experience.

How long have you been running the castrol for? It's sort of hard for me to check the ATF level, I can't really figure out what level its at. Do you just drain and put in 3 quarts?

Last edited:
2-1/2 to 3 qts is what I add, then check it periodically for the next week or so. I check the engine oil every couple weeks anyways. If you want to be precise, drain it into a measured container and add that exact amount back. ATF level is best checked after a decent drive and the engine still running.

Is every 5k a little excessive for ATF replacement? I hear after 50K every 15-18k is suitable from local transmission rebuilders.

There's a difference between a drain and fill and a full flush. A full flush every 30K. Drain and fill every 6-9k miles is about right for this tranny considering it turns BLACK after 30K miles.

Is every 5k a little excessive for ATF replacement? I hear after 50K every 15-18k is suitable from local transmission rebuilders.
I do it because the car only sees about 10k miles a year. So to add a few more dollars to do it twice a year is worth it to me. I am under there doing the oil. so its no big deal to undo one more bolt to drain the atf. After i drain the atf, i measure what came out and its usually almost exactly 3 qts.
And ive only been using the castrol fluid for about 10k so i cant really comment on the long term tranny effects if there are any. It hasnt blown up yet! haha

Last edited:
Back