Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

For more insult to injury, the now release 6500 XT for $200 is worse that the $200 RX 570 released 5 years ago.

Question, does your CPU overheat at all with just the stock cooler on it? Not sure which CPU you are running, but I built a few i7-4790k systems back in the day and they would thermal throttle like a mofo on that thing. I would honestly be shocked if it was adequate
Purrs like a kitten, never have I ever had a heat issue.
I am not a big water cooler ...fan :D
Fans still work in this day and age. Plus it helps that I have 5 case fans.
2 up top, 2 front, 1 back.

Processor is a 6th gen Skylake.

Purrs like a kitten, never have I ever had a heat issue.
I am not a big water cooler ...fan :D
Fans still work in this day and age. Plus it helps that I have 5 case fans.
2 up top, 2 front, 1 back.

Processor is a 6th gen Skylake.
I wasn't going to recommend water cooling. :p

Cool, well if it works it works. I have 6 fans in my case right now, but in the new config will be a total of 9. That said they will all be low RPM. 3 will be intakes and the other 6 will be on the two 360mm radiators. Intakes I'll probably run a bit higher RPM than the rad fans. Case doesn't take a rear fan, otherwise that would be 10.

Still deciding how I want the intake/exhaust flow.

Don't laugh, but I still think the single greatest racing game ever made was Mario Kart 64!

To this day, that game is still absolutely a blast to play!
I did used to play that with our kids! It was hilariously fun but not nearly as realistic as Forza Horizons on an OLED TV.;)

My new radiators arrived Friday.

20220121_235007.jpg

Got an order for clear coolant in as well. Mayhem's X1 is my go to but out of stock everywhere. ModMyMods makes a coolant called Mod Water which is a reformulation of Mayhems XT-1, so it's good. It's also made in the US, so I put in an order for that.

That leaves the following:
  • 9 x 120mm fans
  • Tubing
  • Fittings
  • Flow meter/temperature sensor
  • Optional: new PSU
I also need to get an inline filter and some quick disconnects and some cheap flexible tube for the loop cleaning/prep. Radiators and some blocks are extremely dirty when new. Radiators especially. You do not want to run those without cleaning them first. I have a Mayhems Pro Blitz Kit for that.

Edit: I also bought a second Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB so that I now have a total of 5TB of SSD storage. One of my goals with this build was to have no spinning drives at all as part of the effort for silence optimization. I fully anticipate needing another 2TB SATA SSD in the future, but for now this is fine. After looking at everything, saw no reason/need for gen 4 m.2 nvme drives.

Last edited:
And this is why I prefer fans. My god, that's a lot of setup just to cool! Wow!

So you mount the radiators to the case, right?

And this is why I prefer fans. My god, that's a lot of setup just to cool! Wow!

So you mount the radiators to the case, right?
Yeah but fans are loud. I hate fans. My PC is silent even with 9 fans.

Yes, the thicker radiator will mount on the top side of the case, with the thinner radiator mounting to the bottom. There are no 5.25" bays or anything like that in the front of my case, so plenty of room.

Anyway, its more a hobby than it is anything practical. I enjoy having a silent mid-high end PC, occasional OC sessions, and just the fun of designing a theme with the water-cooling.

My PC has dome great amd is quiet, save the 1080ti, which can get loud, using water cooled cpu. Built in 2017. Still slaying on max settings.
Anyone who snagged a 1080 Ti on the cheap before this whole debacle started are really the winners right now in my book. Card was and is still fantastic performance. Maybe about the same as a 3060 Ti these days, but the 1080 Ti wins in my book vs that just by nature of the 352-bit memory interface so that it's 11GB isn't actually bottlenecked like a 3060 would be.

My 2070 is just about to hit $500 on eBay. I paid $400 for it in Dec 2019.
I almost feel bad. Almost.
I am anti scalper. I refuse to pay more then retail. I didn't. But the used market isn't scalping and if people are willing to pay these prices on USED stuff? I don't feel I am taking advantage.

My 2070 is just about to hit $500 on eBay. I paid $400 for it in Dec 2019.
I almost feel bad. Almost.
I am anti scalper. I refuse to pay more then retail. I didn't. But the used market isn't scalping and if people are willing to pay these prices on USED stuff? I don't feel I am taking advantage.
I don't know what you mean by "used market isn't scalping" because that's definitely not true.

As for selling based on what the current market is, well no one can fault you for that, but scalpers among other things are what put the market there.

Coolant arrived today. I kinda like it comes in bottles shaped like oil bottles. Now you could just get some distilled water and add some biocidal and inhibitor additives, but I usually just opt for a clear premix these days and call it a day.

Basically the Mayhems guys taught ModMyMods how to make XT-1, so that's what this is. Made in the USA.

20220127_140834.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! Those are cute!
No way I am dicking around with all that when I finish my upgrades. I'm going to go with a Noctua fan setup.
Noctua baby!

Ha! Those are cute!
No way I am dicking around with all that when I finish my upgrades. I'm going to go with a Noctua fan setup.
Noctua baby!
LOL!

Noctua heatsinks are fantastic man. Like, the NH-D15 will absolutely outperform pretty much any of those AIO coolers on the market.

Just make sure it has clearance with your RAM.

Decided to go ahead and continue the build. Looking at Mobo's now. Got $200 in Bestbuy credit from my credit card perks. There's a mobo.
Looking for an LGA1200 for an 11th gen that supports PCIe 4 for the video card.

Cyberpunk 2077 on sale on Steam right now for $30. This game has always interested my but I waited as I do these days. Never buy day 1 anymore.
Wow. It is gorgeous. Played about 2 hours so far and it is just beautiful.

Decided to go ahead and continue the build. Looking at Mobo's now. Got $200 in Bestbuy credit from my credit card perks. There's a mobo.
Looking for an LGA1200 for an 11th gen that supports PCIe 4 for the video card.

Cyberpunk 2077 on sale on Steam right now for $30. This game has always interested my but I waited as I do these days. Never buy day 1 anymore.
Wow. It is gorgeous. Played about 2 hours so far and it is just beautiful.
Yeah, that is the first game I plan to play on the new rig when it gets built.

Back