So I went to test drive a speed3...

Fourth81

Okay, so apparently I didn't know that you can't test drive speed3's, yet for some reason you're able to test drive a Mazda3 to get a feel for the handling, and a speed6 to get a feel for the power. Its like I had to break up the speed3 experience in two cars. I don't think I'd be able to buy a car that the dealership won't let me drive...

Did anyone else run into this? Or did everyone just purchase the car right off the lot without test driving it?

i know some guys have gotten the keys tossed to them for a test drive. but most have not gotten to test drive it period. or maybe they would get to if you put a non refundable deposit down on it. and all that dealer bs.

i know when i went and looked at one, the salesman said i couldnt test drive it without putting a deposit on it first.

i know some guys have gotten the keys tossed to them for a test drive.

That would be me. I stopped by Kings Mazda in Cincinnati to check out an MS3 and my salesman actually encouraged me to drive it- no strings attached. Care to guess where I bought my MS3?
OTOH, I've heard Jake Sweeney Mazda in Cinci and Oxmoor Mazda in Louisville were requiring a deposit or a buyers order for a test drive. I do know that Oxmoor slaps a $3K ADM sticker on MS3s.
There are several good dealers out there; sometimes you just have to look for them...

Okay, so apparently I didn't know that you can't test drive speed3's, yet for some reason you're able to test drive a Mazda3 to get a feel for the handling, and a speed6 to get a feel for the power. Its like I had to break up the speed3 experience in two cars. I don't think I'd be able to buy a car that the dealership won't let me drive...

Did anyone else run into this? Or did everyone just purchase the car right off the lot without test driving it?

I got to test drive one. The sales rep took it off the lot and when I got behind the wheel he kept trying to get me to to go faster and faster. What sort of ghetto dealershit trys to sell you a car and won't let you test drive it? That would be like getting married without (upbum) before.

I walked in the door after setting up an appointment on the internet and was practically rushed out the door to test drive mine within 15 minutes. Some dealerships are just weird like that....

The two dealerships I went to wouldn't let me test drive one unless I was sure I wanted to buy that specific car I'm test driving. When I inquired why, both of them explained that because it's an enthusiast's car and people don't want any miles on them. They both claimed people refused to buy ones with more then 30 miles on the odometer. I think it was the truth and they weren't BS'ing me. When I found one I wanted, they let me test drive it with no money down.

Honestly I am glad they do this, as I am anal enough to want to know exactly how my car has been driven before I get it. I want to break it in the way I want to (even if it doesn't make a difference).

Also, don't judge the feeling of power based on a speed6, I test drove one before I drove the speed3 and honestly (no offense MS6'ers) I wasn't impressed by it. The power band felt very odd, and there wasn't an insane feeling of torque. Psychological or not, it makes a big difference.

That is crazy, I never heard of that before. I went to a dealership here in Omaha and I told them that I wanted to test drive one. They threw me the keys!

Good Luck!

2 things

1. I didnt like the way the speed6 felt.

2. I wasnt allowed test drive the speed3 when i was ready to trade in the msp, without them running a credit check first, I told the salesmen I'll go to another dealership you can kiss my ass.

It's not unexpected, especially if you are young. They don't want kids coming in just for a joy ride. Show them that you are interested in the car past a test drive and they should loosen up.

I would have turned around and left. There is no way in hell that I am going to buy a car without driving it first.

(eekfu) to that dealership

I tried test driving one, but the asked me to put an offer down first. I wasnt ready so I told them that I dont want to test it today. No deposit required, you just need to be sure you want that car =]

i walked in and the asked to drive one and the guy threw me the keys and walked away i had to chase him down to ask him to apraise my car and i came back like 25 mins later and hes like back so soon? and im 22 and i was in my work clothes but i did end up buy the same car i drove so

That would be me. I stopped by Kings Mazda in Cincinnati to check out an MS3 and my salesman actually encouraged me to drive it- no strings attached. Care to guess where I bought my MS3?
OTOH, I've heard Jake Sweeney Mazda in Cinci and Oxmoor Mazda in Louisville were requiring a deposit or a buyers order for a test drive. I do know that Oxmoor slaps a $3K ADM sticker on MS3s.
There are several good dealers out there; sometimes you just have to look for them...

I bought my MS3 from Kings also.
After I asked to test drive the sport, they filled the car up with gas, the salesman got out and handed me the keys.
Refreshing not to be 'babysat' by a salesperson for a test drive

haha...when i got mine it was on a sunday and there was one guy there...he took some info on me and threw me the keys and said take it home! i bought it the next day but thought that was pretty cool...i think it all depends on the dealer.

It didn't bother me that the salesman was with me. He drives like I do, and the one I test drove, I didn't buy. So what if we flogged it a little. I ended up getting the one sitting in the showroom.

the test drive is about the only thing positive I can say about my dealership -- the salesman litterally RAN to get the keys

I even warned him that I would test it harder than I planned to use it. He said he wouldn't expect anything else

I'm 23 and I was in baggy jeans and a ripped t-shirt (also happen to have excellent credit, but he didn't know that at the time)

I requested a dealer quote online on mazdausa.com, and 15 minutes later I had a phone call from Rosenthal in Arlington saying "when can you come test drive the speed3?'

any dealer that doesn't do test drives on this car is nuts, I honestly wasn't planning on buying the car that day until the sales guy said "ok, go ahead and open it up" and I hit about 80 mph (in a 45) by the time I even looked at the speedo.

Wow these are crazy stories. Everyone at my dealership was great to me. I'm no high roller, beleive me, but maybe it helped that I traded in an 02 IS300...

Back