So I did something stupid...

ColoradoDriver

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD - 135k miles
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
Since the Lounge has more people viewing, figured it might be a better place to post this.

Anyway, I live in a condo complex with detached garages. Mine is at the end and to get a straight on into the garage I have to pull through an area where sometime people park, otherwise it's like trying to get into it sideways.

Well thought I had enough clearance with the garage with how I was pulling in when someone was parked in the area I use to get straight on into garage. I was wrong.

Back passenger door got scraped up a bit on the edge of the door. Back wheel trim is pulled off and won't snap back in.

Question is how would I go about fixing the door? Scratches don't seem too deep as far as I can see it looks like mostly the clear coat with a few spots that look to have gone deeper? The door is pushed in a bit, not much. Is there an easy way to pop it back out? The trim around the wheel I am guessing is easy to replace.

Color is black.

I don't really know about this kinda stuff, so I could be wrong about how deep the scratches are. Hopefully the pic helps.

Thanks.

Hopefully it shows up on these pictures.

da8d5a96fb466148ed9c11d3bcb5ea02.jpg

79a6c30e36c76ef2b9d1d994496ba3e1.jpg

Well start with a bathroom plunger to pull the dent out. Seriously. Works pretty well on the right type of dent. I can't really see a dent in the pics...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well start with a bathroom plunger to pull the dent out. Seriously. Works pretty well on the right type of dent. I can't really see a dent in the pics...

Yeah, its just pushed in a bit, not much so it's hard to tell in the pic.

I never thought about a plunger. Mine has a flange, so probably need to get one without that and give it a shot.

Seconded on the plunger. As for the scratches, some type of compound and polish, and then a good wax job. For black cars, I've always used nothing but Pinnacle products.

Second on polishing compound. I hit my right mirror on a big diamond construction site sticking out of the sidewalk, at 35mph, so hard the mirror folded in, left a big orange scar on the white paint. Took 10 minutes rubbing with the cheap Turtle wax I still have on the shelf from years ago, couldn't find the scratch anymore. But I did put Scotchgard film on it since then, just to be on the safe side :)

Also, got a pretty deep black scratch on my driver door, definitely from a car parked next to me in the parking lot, the black paint was probably from its mirror. Same Turtle wax, 5 minute of rubbing, no sign. So try that first.

If you don't have a plunger, those plastic suction cups (medium/big one) holding up the basket/shower head in your bathroom can help with pulling, too.

Second on polishing compound. I hit my right mirror on a big diamond construction site sticking out of the sidewalk, at 35mph, so hard the mirror folded in, left a big orange scar on the white paint. Took 10 minutes rubbing with the cheap Turtle wax I still have on the shelf from years ago, couldn't find the scratch anymore. But I did put Scotchgard film on it since then, just to be on the safe side :)

Also, got a pretty deep black scratch on my driver door, definitely from a car parked next to me in the parking lot, the black paint was probably from its mirror. Same Turtle wax, 5 minute of rubbing, no sign. So try that first.

If you don't have a plunger, those plastic suction cups (medium/big one) holding up the basket/shower head in your bathroom can help with pulling, too.

Thanks! I'm going to head over to the store to pick up a plunger and some polishing compound.

Drove Round for 2 months with a dent in my Saab. Female gear Head friend of mine was like : don't you have a plunger? Never thought of that! It totally worked. My plunger has the flange, too.

Whatever you do, dont call insurance. You dont want an accident on your carfax report when you go to sell.

Whatever you do, dont call insurance. You dont want an accident on your carfax report when you go to sell.

Hmm...good point lol! Edit: Though I was rear-ended 2 years ago by some jackass kid in a truck with bald tires and a wet road, so chances are there's already an accident on record (I don't know how that works).

I am going to try to fix it myself though.

Drove Round for 2 months with a dent in my Saab. Female gear Head friend of mine was like : don't you have a plunger? Never thought of that! It totally worked. My plunger has the flange, too.

Ah ok, will try that plunger then.

Last edited:
Since you already have access to the backside of the fender well, you can try light taps with a rubber mallet too along with the plunger and suction cups. Good luck, unfortunately, I think most of us have been in this situation before...lol

Since you already have access to the backside of the fender well, you can try light taps with a rubber mallet too along with the plunger and suction cups. Good luck, unfortunately, I think most of us have been in this situation before...lol

Didn't even think of that. I think the slight dent is in the door part though. Worst case, maybe I can take off the inside door panel and have access too tap it with a mallet too?

Ouch!

Are you married? If so, what did your wife have to say about your 'customization'? Or maybe she didn't say a word and just gave you 'the look'?

Didn't even think of that. I think the slight dent is in the door part though. Worst case, maybe I can take off the inside door panel and have access too tap it with a mallet too?
You can always try tapping with a mallet but this's actually not as easy as you thought to make the dented sheet metal recover back to original shape. I'd try to find a dent doctor guy to do this part then you do the rest by yourself.

I used a dent wizard company and they did a fantastic job. The tools they use project a laser grid on the surface of the car, then they slowly pull out the dent until the lines of the laser grid are all straight. I couldn't find any traces of the dent when they were done. It cost about $60. Check with your local body shop for paint less dent repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a dent wizard company and they did a fantastic job. The tools they use project a laser grid on the surface of the car, then they slowly pull out the dent until the lines of the laser grid are all straight. I couldn't find any traces of the dent when they were done. It cost about $60. Check with your local body shop for paint less dent repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will do thanks. Trying the plunger thing today and will do that if it doesn't work.

You can always try tapping with a mallet but this's actually not as easy as you thought to make the dented sheet metal recover back to original shape. I'd try to find a dent doctor guy to do this part then you do the rest by yourself.
Will look at doing that if I can't fix it.

Back