Snow tires on 16" rims?

projectmx

Has anyone put 16" rims and snow tires on their 2011 CX-7? I want to go with a slightly skinnier and taller tire for winter tires plus 16" seems to be a much better price. Tire rack suggests the size but for some reason doesn't link to it only 17 or 18 so i'm confused

More details, i.e. what do you have on there now, what are you trying to do and what are you wanting?

Peace! :)

the car is completely stock it has 17" stock rims I just wanted to go down to 16" steelies and put on winter tires so that I can do slightly skinnier tires which is usually the best option for snow tires

Sure, but....

You sure can, but let's do the math here...

A. By the time you buy some 16" steel rims (Used I assume) and ensure they match the bolt pattern, and are in good shape, i.e no dents, bad rust, etc, etc. etc. ...

B. Locate, buy, have mounted and balanced some 16" "Skinny" and taller (I assume snow tires, not all season tires) on those lovely looking steel rims...

C. Gotta get some hub caps from wally world, as no one would promote the existence of a gorgeous CX-7 running around anywhere on earth on plain steel rims... that's just plain ugly. ;)

D. ...and now they are on your CX-7,.. I can speak from 32 years of driving experience, no tire will match the proper driving speed, driving habits, luck and simple TREAD DEPTH when it comes to snow. I've had expensive SNOW TIRES on a 4X4 SUV (In 4X4 mode) and slid off the road. There is ONLY two factors in snow driving... talent / experience and tread depth. Above that comes chains, studded tires, etc. etc.

E. With all the above math, my $.02 worth of advice is.... keep your 17" rims, go buy some snow tires, have them mounted and balanced, when 18 March rolls around, take them off and save them for December 19th next year. (Dates vary by region you live in).

PRO: No need to store both RIMS and TIRES in the garage, but that's your call.

CON: You will have to pay to have them mounted and balanced twice a year.

PRO: you'll save miles on both sets of tires.

CON: No guarantee ANY tire or rim is going to help you get around in the snow.

PRO: You can report back to us here and tell us what IF ANY difference it makes.

CON: Time and time is money.

PRO: If you're a DO IT YOURSELF guy / gal, you can put on the snow tires in your own garage as you like, and vice versa as you like (take em off whenever you want).

Good luck!!

A: easy to find 16" steel rims, just don't know if they fit B: if I buy the rims then I simply buy tires I already found at a local tire chain and have them install them c: no way on hubcaps, good steelies look just fine in the winter on any car, in fact here in Canada and in Michigan where i'm from originally that is a very common site all winter d: I have only been driving close to 20 years now but I can see a clear difference in how snow tires handle compared to "all season" and it does make a difference. as so a skinnier tire in snow than a wider tire e: it is the same cost or less to have the tire on a separate rim since I have large air compressor and all the tools I need to swap tires back and forth on both my 3 and my wifes cx-7 so that saves about $50/year on both cars since I am not paying someone else to pull tires off rims and swap them out. I swap the whole wheel myself and with lifetime balance and rotations on the tires that part is free once I have the tires/rims on the car. Pros: Less damage to stock rims due to salt and other winter issues, better handling in winter, I do not have to pay someone to swap out tires saving me about $50 a year per car, I still save miles on bother tires, tires/rims combo takes up just as much space as just tires Con: spend about 15-30 minutes swapping out tires

you canucks get a lot more snow & colder temperatures than us 'southerners' (ohio). Snow tires do grip better than all seasons when temperatures are consistently below 30 degrees. If you like your stock wheels, then you can buy some cheaper winter (beater) wheels. I don't really care for my stockers so they're my winter beater wheels & my rx8 wheels are my summer wheels. It's also very nice to have a full size spare if something ever happens to the tires. I run All Seasons for my winter wheels, but our winter temps don't really dip below 20 degrees very often or for very long.

For people that aren't as far North as you, I'd look for an All Season with better Rain/Snow ratings.

According to tirerack you'll need wheels that fall into this category:

Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.55" OR 5.51"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:225/75-16

I can speak from 32 years of driving experience, no tire will match the proper driving speed, driving habits, luck and simple TREAD DEPTH when it comes to snow. I've had expensive SNOW TIRES on a 4X4 SUV (In 4X4 mode) and slid off the road. There is ONLY two factors in snow driving... talent / experience and tread depth. Above that comes chains, studded tires, etc. etc.

I do agree with pretty much everything you said. If you have the money/funds go for it. I bought lifetime balance & rotations from a local Firestone Complete Auto Care while my buddy was working there, & got one hell of discount. Bascially if you use it 3 times, it's paid for itself, which it already has.

Last edited:
A: easy to find 16" steel rims, just don't know if they fit B: if I buy the rims then I simply buy tires I already found at a local tire chain and have them install them c: no way on hubcaps, good steelies look just fine in the winter on any car, in fact here in Canada and in Michigan where i'm from originally that is a very common site all winter d: I have only been driving close to 20 years now but I can see a clear difference in how snow tires handle compared to "all season" and it does make a difference. as so a skinnier tire in snow than a wider tire e: it is the same cost or less to have the tire on a separate rim since I have large air compressor and all the tools I need to swap tires back and forth on both my 3 and my wifes cx-7 so that saves about $50/year on both cars since I am not paying someone else to pull tires off rims and swap them out. I swap the whole wheel myself and with lifetime balance and rotations on the tires that part is free once I have the tires/rims on the car. Pros: Less damage to stock rims due to salt and other winter issues, better handling in winter, I do not have to pay someone to swap out tires saving me about $50 a year per car, I still save miles on bother tires, tires/rims combo takes up just as much space as just tires Con: spend about 15-30 minutes swapping out tires

So glad you answered your own question in all honesty, I think you just needed a little assistance in working through and doing some of the math / pros and cons. Sounds like a great plan to me and now knowing you ARE a do it yourself kind of guy, it makes all the sence in the world to follow through, I look forward to seeing some pictures. :)

According to tirerack you'll need wheels that fall into this category:

Offset: 40mm
Backspacing: 5.55" OR 5.51"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114
Rec. Tire Size:225/75-16

...and on that thought, my next advice was what lildisco posted, some recommendations. And I can agree with what he/she posted.

I do agree with pretty much everything you said. If you have the money/funds go for it. I bought lifetime balance & rotations from a local Firestone Complete Auto Care while my buddy was working there, & got one hell of discount. Bascially if you use it 3 times, it's paid for itself, which it already has.

Yup, no amount of tires / tread / size / etc. will make up for common sense, safe driving, experience, and luck.

Lifetime balance and rotation?!?!?! May I ask what that cost? I just moved to Guam, and I think they have a Firestone here, sounds interesting.

*Damn, no firestone on Guam. :( Oh well, plan on moving back to Japan in a few years anyhow.

I paid $60 for lifetime balance & rotation & $140 for lifetime alignments.

I paid $60 for lifetime balance & rotation & $140 for lifetime alignments.

Oh wow, that's cheap, thanks for the info, is we move back state side, I'm getting that!

Especially on the alignment, that can cost hundreds a single deal.

sorry it took awhile, I had to find the paper work on it. It was a few years ago. Also, my buddy was the service writer so I got the discount. I guess make friends with someone that works there to get a discount, lol

Back