Snow and Ice Performance

Maz700

:
Mazda 6
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum (hi) and wanted to find out how the 2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring does in snow and ice, especially in hilly areas. What experiences have you all had?

Live in MA, the car definitely needs snow tires. I just got mine in September and used the ALL Seasons this winter since the tread was new. If the hill had a decent grade and you stopped mid hill you might as well turn around. The traction control (if your not familiar with it) is counter productive when going up a hill if the tires start breaking free, they keep taking the torque off the tires until they stop spinning and eventually you run out of speed to get over the hill. My dealer warned me about this and I turn it off if this situation arises.

Thanks for that, I've heard about turning traction control off on other cars when you get to snowy inclines too.

Last edited:
I'm saving up for snow tires. My 6 needs them without question. With the right combination of snow and ice I occasionally felt like I didn't have enough control of the car at any speed. Stability control works very well, my old car (an '02 Envoy) didn't have it.

Braking was better than my old SUV, if only because the 6 is lighter and has better ABS.

I live in the great state of Iowa and we had the snowiest record in recent years last winter. Never had any issues driving to/from work of 60 miles one way with factory junk Dunlop tires. Actually got around decent. Unless you drive in deep snow a lot-the factory or all-season's should be fine. I was actually surprised how well it got around. it's more of a convenience to get going a little faster rather than spinning so much.

can't say they are as bad, but definitely will need snow tires if you live in a hilly or a heavy snowy area. I managed several snow storms and icy roads in Illinois with some hickups here and there with my decent driving skills.

Back