Smart Key Problems

master44

Recently I accidently washed and ruined one of my smart keys in the washing machine. I bought a replacement one off of ebay that looked to be an original from some other vehicle as it came with an already cut key.

Anyways long story short, after having the dealer reprogram the replacement key, I notice that with the new key or my old remaining key if I open the door or leave the vehicle after starting the car I get a series of 3 double beeeps and the key light flashes on the dash.

In the past this happened, but the key light flashing would go away a few seconds of being back in the vehicle. Now however the only way to get the flashing to stop is to stop and start the engine. I have tried using the smart key to lock and unlock the doors, waived it all around the front console, but nothing works and the strange thing is my original key exhibits the same behavior.

Even if I start the car with the physical key and then open the door or leave the vehicle the same thing happens. I am at a loss, with the key physically in the ignition I do not see how it could complain that the key is missing??

Called the dealer and they said they would look at it for another $79. Has anyone had this happen? Is there any way to stop the key light from flashing aside from stoping and starting the engine. It is real annoying to drive with a constant flashing.

Thanks

Obviously, what you described is not normal.
The beeps should stop after you get in the cabin.
SmartKey system uses multiple sensors to triangulate your location.
If any one of the sensors has failed, it might not be able to pin point
your location.

Do you carry the CardKey near your cell phone?
I once tried to put my cell phone together with the CardKey,
I was not allowed to lock/unlock the door, but I was able to start the engine.
Wireless interference can be very tricky. Let us eliminate THAT as a factor.

Mostly likely, if not the cell phone, one of the sensors has failed or is failing.
Once dealer has the proper equipment to diagnose the problem.
The said $79 is only for diagnosis. If any problem is found, repair is needed and performed
at the dealer, that $79 is usually waived.
That is the common practice anyway.

Back