Skyactiv Remote Turbo Build

I'm not an expert either, but I would probably use a relay, with a fuse in line.
Do you think that, is a good idea to use a switch? What if, you forget to turn it on?
When all this is done and you go for a service at the dealership, I would like to see the mechanics face, when he sees all your work.

A guy on m3r also suggested an inline piggy back fuse.

, I'm going to use the fuse connector along with that fuse bus bar (I ordered it) to a 15 amp unused ACC fuse in my engine bay. It's the High/Low fuse for the halogen cx-5's. I have HIDS. Also the pump came in.. it's a bit bigger than I though but I believe it will fit where I intended. Going to read up on it but I'd like to put it in the engine bay instead. Most people place it near the turboh. The two gauges and the pump won't draw more than 10 amps.

Expensive but definitely quality
eLyBEF1.jpg

Definetely you should read up on this subject. If something does not work as it should, it can be very expensive mistake.

Last edited:
Have read up on the subject. This has been done for over 30 years (rear mount) it's not new. You can find plenty of vette owners for example rear mounting their 50k+ car, sometimes a supercharge up front and rear mount turbo in back.

Sub!

Do you have an restrictor on your turbo? I am wondering how the pump will do when it pumps oil into the turbo, hopefully not too much pressure that it blows out the seals.

No restrictor initially. Journal bearing turbo. So unless it smokes I won't be needing one. That pump is for oil return only feed pressure comes from the sandwhich plate

I started thinking a little bit. The motor was designed so that there are basically two vents for PCV at all times. One on the valve cover and one on the block. The valve cover does not have a one way valve but just simply runs to the intake pipe and at idle it draws in fresh air. The one on the block has a PCV (one way valve) that runs line to the intake manifold.

The intake manifold is pretty much always going to have vacuum on that line. Even during WOT the valve is open and the manifold is applying vacuum there or relieving crank pressure. I think only reason there is a one way valve is if there is a back fire?

My point is, with the turbo charger when you build boost or go WOT , that valve closes and the only crank pressure relief is the valve cover. Couple concerns come to mind:

-The check valve closing the PCV at the block/crank location leaves only the valve cover to vent. Is that enough for the motor? Other turbo cars that do that are at lease designed to and tested to be enough.
-Also our setup relieves pressure directly from the crank. So closing that at the most important time (when WOT) now forces the pressure to go up through the channels to the valve cover only. Is that wise for our motor?

I could be wrong and your setup will still be ok. But I would say double check the dip stick to ensure it doesnt pop out, that could be a sign that there is crank pressure build up.

Last edited:
Typically on an auto the throttle plate is never actually 100% closed during operation. The other option is a tee to one (or both) with a breather on it. I have a vacuum manifold, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it.. I may just use one tee for the boost gauge (ordered) off the intake mani and stick a breather on one of the other sources (with a tee). The lame part is the ID of these hoses are 10mm so I have to find adapter tees.

Last edited:
got the bend welded. the only other part of the charge pipe what will be welded is a 2.5-.2.0 reducer off the pipe coming from the turbo.
POq8iG7.jpg

Oh also learned about plasma cutting with an electrode and repairing said holes.... Basically a gap in the welding area = plasma cutter. That's why I kept burning the clamps I was trying to weld on the two middle braces! The surface I was welding was curved, and being under the car in an awkward position made it harder.

Testing will tell. At least 50hp would be good for current set up, until I begin to decide what needs to be upgraded or should be swapped for a more expensive version etc.

Do you envision additional upgrades to the fuel delivery system and what not if you feel the remote application is stable and scalable?

Do you envision additional upgrades to the fuel delivery system and what not if you feel the remote application is stable and scalable?
I don't anticipate upgrading the fueling right now. Injectors aren't near max duty cycle as is, but there will be cx-9 injectors if I need them later.

I modified the extra oil pan yesterday because my oil is due for a change, may as well put the new pan on. 5qt still below the oil inlet.
P1dafp4.jpg

Do you have any pics of the underside of the block where the balance shaft is ?

Installed the turbo manifold. I will attatch the boost gauge and bov vacuum line to it, for now I have the port capped. I'm also adding a breather to it.
Yb82ije.jpg

uct9ylY.jpg

Back