SiriusXM not connecting

My Sirius/XM radio will sometimes not connect when I start my 2020 CX-5. I park in a spot that is basically unobstructed upward, so there’s nothing that would block the signal from being received. This only happens occasionally, not always. Anyone else having this problem and can it be fixed?

171A4A54-E5D3-48D5-843D-F3AECE8DBD9E.jpeg

My SiriusXM onyX Plus radio does that. I guess it could be sunspots.

There might be another issue with yours.

How long does it stay like that?

My SiriusXM onyX Plus radio does that. I guess it could be sunspots.

There might be another issue with yours.

How long does it stay like that?
It’ll stay this way unless I turn off the vehicle and restart it. I can still get radio stations and all the other functions of the infotainment system work fine. It’s just the SiriusXM that won’t connect sometimes.

this seems to be related to the entertainment boot sequence and timing. several threads about firmware and SiruiusXM. My guess is that there is a race condition where the entertainment system calls for the antenna power or signal before the system is actually ready for signal input and then blam you got your error message.

just a wild guess.

this seems to be related to the entertainment boot sequence and timing. several threads about firmware and SiruiusXM. My guess is that there is a race condition where the entertainment system calls for the antenna power or signal before the system is actually ready for signal input and then blam you got your error message.

just a wild guess.
Thank you, that’s helpful. Our CX-5 is due for service soon and I plan on mentioning this problem to the Service Department. It’s more of an annoyance than anything, but it should work properly. I don’t have this problem with our other Sirius radio, but it’s in a 2009 Focus.

Thank you, that’s helpful. Our CX-5 is due for service soon and I plan on mentioning this problem to the Service Department. It’s more of an annoyance than anything, but it should work properly. I don’t have this problem with our other Sirius radio, but it’s in a 2009 Focus.
Good luck with that. I've encountered the connect failure about 5 times in 2 years.
Mazda will tell you it's a S/XM problem and S/XM will tell you it's a Mazda problem.

Good luck with that. I've encountered the connect failure about 5 times in 2 years.
Mazda will tell you it's a S/XM problem and S/XM will tell you it's a Mazda problem.
I’m anticipating that. Not sure how they can claim it’s a SiriusXM problem when our other car (and several others that I know of) has never encountered anything like that.

My 2019 I think was finally fixed with the last update a couple of months ago. Knock on wood. The prior update improved it somewhat but was still buggy.
I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.

My 2019 I think was finally fixed with the last update a couple of months ago. Knock on wood. The prior update improved it somewhat but was still buggy.
I hope I haven’t jinxed myself.
Thanks for the reply…is this update something I can do myself or is it the dealer that has to do it?

Thanks for the reply…is this update something I can do myself or is it the dealer that has to do it?
If under warranty and you have time have the dealer do it -- because well why not.

if those conditions are not valid for you then:

and then you will have the joy of reading these types of threads:

My Sirius/XM radio will sometimes not connect when I start my 2020 CX-5. I park in a spot that is basically unobstructed upward, so there’s nothing that would block the signal from being received. This only happens occasionally, not always. Anyone else having this problem and can it be fixed?
I experienced this issue several times within the first few months of owning my 2020 CX-5 GT. When I went for my first oil change I described the problem and they just said it was a SiriusXM issue and to make sure the antenna had an unobstructed view of the sky. I then asked if there were any software/firmware updates for the infotainment system. I believe they referred to it as the CSM. They did update the firmware and I have not had that problem since. So just ask them to update your firmware to the latest and it should resolve this issue.

I experienced this issue several times within the first few months of owning my 2020 CX-5 GT. When I went for my first oil change I described the problem and they just said it was a SiriusXM issue and to make sure the antenna had an unobstructed view of the sky. I then asked if there were any software/firmware updates for the infotainment system. I believe they referred to it as the CSM. They did update the firmware and I have not had that problem since. So just ask them to update your firmware to the latest and it should resolve this issue.
Thank you, I will. Did they charge you for that process?

Thank you, I will. Did they charge you for that process?
No charge, but I bought a service plan when I bought the car. It might have been covered by that but I’d only had the car for 6 months at that point so it could have been under warranty. Doesn’t hurt to ask. I don’t think it is a complicated process, but it apparently takes about 40 minutes to complete.

No charge, but I bought a service plan when I bought the car. It might have been covered by that but I’d only had the car for 6 months at that point so it could have been under warranty. Doesn’t hurt to ask. I don’t think it is a complicated process, but it apparently takes about 40 minutes to complete.
I think I had version 70 when I had the issue. My car currently has version 74.00.230

Okay, sounds good…thanks again! Ours will be due for its first oil change soon…only has 3,800 miles at this point and we bought it in November 2020. I’ll bring that issue up when I take it in.

This has been an on going problem with SiriusXM/Mazda. I have been through a bunch of updates and cleaning the contacts on the NAV card has helped with this problem. Let's hope 74.00.230 is the fix.

Get your Mazda Connect software updated. The latest version addresses problems with SiriusXM.
(Ver. 74.00.230 and later)
[Mazda6 (US 2019-2021)], [CX-5 (US 2019-2021)], [CX-9 (US 2019-2021)] SiriusXM radio does not work properly. (SiriusXM cannot be selected, only certain channels appear in the list, the sound turns off and/or the center display shows an error message such as “Check SiriusXM Tuner” or “Unable to Connect to SiriusXM Radio”.)

You're still under warranty so just go to the dealer. It takes about 20 min.

Back