Should I purchase this 2010 2.5L Mazda CX-7?

Hello -

I'm about to pull the trigger on a used Mazda CX-7 and could really use some advice about owning one that's over 100k in mileage.

I had a few disastrous experiences with Volkswagens early on, settled on Hondas ever since, and have been incredibly pleased with their reliability. So I've been a bit scared to switch brands after Honda.

Unfortunately, a lady who ran a red light totaled my Accord last month. I was fully covered by insurance, but even with the payout, have been having an incredibly difficult time finding a used Accord or other Honda within my budget that doesn't have way too many miles for my comfort.

I found a 2010 Mazda CX-7 with 110k miles on it, which is about what my Accord had. I've never had a Mazda and am assuming it's not considered as reliable as Honda, but still pretty decent. It has all the hallmarks of an impeccably maintained car:

- Original owner. Older gentleman who is an accountant and clearly fussy about maintenance (the guy I bought my totaled Accord from also had that profile).

- Full service records. Never been in an accident, stored indoors, oil changed every 3k miles. Carfax is super clean.

- No rips or stains or smells in leather interior.

- New battery and front brakes done last year, Michelin tires put in 10k miles ago, new serpentine belt.

- Zero scratches or dings on the car at all.

I'm having a mobile inspector I trust look at the vehicle tomorrow a.m., after which I will have to pull the trigger if I want it. Price is $8k, a smidge on the high side per KBB private party, but considering everything that was just put into the car and its rare excellent condition, I'm willing to pay it if it points to reliability and spares me headaches. I've seen no other cars in my area/budget that are this well taken care of.

My budget from what insurance gave me is roughly $10k (before DMV taxes). If I do it this way, I'm hoping I can save ~$2k which I could really use right now (couldn't find a Honda I wanted in my area anyway after searching obsessively) and would hopefully have something reliable if impeccably maintained by me until 180-200k miles? Even if it lasts me 5 years at 12k miles per year without catastrophes, I'd be happy.

The only thing that gives me pause is that I know nothing about Mazdas, let alone the CX-7. Does anyone have any advice, opinions, insight on how well these cars do above 100k? I heard the 2.3 turbo engines had tons of known issues, but this is the 2.5 L engine. Thanks so much!

P.S. Photos here:
https://imgur.com/LuUgjgH
https://imgur.com/lrDPc15
https://imgur.com/GmIbtRs

I have a 2010 with 267k. I’ve put maybe $500 in actual repairs in the last 237k and almost 10 years I’ve owned it. Mostly just maintenance related. I changed the OEM brakes at 192k. Valve cover gasket and spark plugs at 197k. Sway bar end link at 225k. There is/was a recall for control arms on the 2010, so those were replaced under the recall. A/C relay somewhere around 150k. A couple window motors and a regulator around 200k. Countless headlight bulbs - just buy LED and figure out how to remove the housing, you’ll thank me later.

Some folks may disagree, but buy the Michelin defender tires in a 225/65/r17. Your speedo will be off 1 or 2 mph at 70, but your wallet will thank you (not initially). I replaced the crappy OEM Bridgestones at 55k and I’m about 15k on my 3rd set of Michelins. I’m averaging 90-100k per set and they are VASTLY quieter than the Ecopias. I haven’t checked in a while, but I think that’s the only tire you can buy in the OEM size.

Note: If you live in a hot climate, your AC will not keep up on a sunny day at idle. I sold these cars new in Florida. They do not cool off until you’re moving or in the shade. I’ve had mine checked twice and it is operating as designed. If you’re handy at all, do a lot of your repairs yourself. It’s a fairly straightforward car to work on. Even the window regulator is a 30 minute job.

Still factory original parts:
Serpentine belt
Wheel bearings
Trans fluid
All HVAC components (except the relay)
Coolant
All “check engine” sensors
All engine gaskets/seals (valve cover was fine, the leak was a spill from an oil change)
Axles/CV boots/tie rods/steering components (except the end link and what was replaced under recall)
My car currently has no leaks, weird shifts, loss of power, never a check engine light and everything works.
It’s been wrecked 3 times. First time was on a test drive at the dealer with 27 miles (fender and front bumper cover)
Second time was a hit to the driver’s side rear wheel at 31k (a month after I bought it). All left rear suspension was replaced.
3rd time I took a Chrysler minivan to the ass end at 45 mph. Totaled the van. Mazda walked away with a loose bumper cover, a few scratches and a very slight dent in the rear hatch. That was 150k ago and I never got it fixed. You can’t even tell unless I point it out.
Best car I’ve ever owned and I hate it. I’m 6’6” and long trip comfort is miserable for me.
Good luck

Back