Should I keep fujita CAI?

buttons

:
Mazdaspeed 6
I have read a number of negative things about fujita intake and never been impressed with its "performance" ive had fuel cut and check engine lights. I never felt any extra power , just sound and throttle response seems to be worse (which is expected with a CAI)

since i dont have access to a reputable tuner shop, im stuck with off the shelf maps, i was thinking i should get a cobb SRI and turbo inlet pipe so i can just run stage 1 93 from a cobb access port and have a reliable tune.

HOWEVER. i am thinking pretty serious about the corksport power intake with turbo inlet since its about 40% cheaper. $230 vs $380.

I would really like some people with corksport intake/turbo inlet and a cobb AP to chime in and give me their opinions.

Last year when i had a cobb access port i was using a beta fujita map. id rather have something thats more widely support, but ultimately i dont want a CAI anymore because i would prefer to have better throttle response then top end power.

idk it sounds like their CAI in particular isnt engineered very well.
Been running my MS CAI (AEM basically) for about 6 months now.

not a hickup of a problem so far. *knocks on wood*

there goes ALL ME MONIES! ordered cobb access port and watching Cobb SRI on ebay, if i lose that auction ill probably just get the corksport intake/turbo inlet combo for $230

Im sick of my mazda being slow, my best time at the track is 14.6@93mph. ill confess i dont launch hard but 93mph is pathetic...

there goes ALL ME MONIES! ordered cobb access port and watching Cobb SRI on ebay, if i lose that auction ill probably just get the corksport intake/turbo inlet combo for $230

Im sick of my mazda being slow, my best time at the track is 14.6@93mph. ill confess i dont launch hard but 93mph is pathetic...

Your MS6 isn't slow. It's you who is slow, lol! Damn 93mph trapspeeds is weak sauce. You need to learn how to drive if anything.

And I have an MS CAI mated with CS TIP. Love both of em and the sound. Sounds very wicked. You can definitely feel the power difference from stock. But then again i have a few more extra mods besides the two ^^ Mentioned above.

I love how everyone at the mazdaspeed forums are defensive about the car, but where is your 13 second time slips? There is like four people that run decent times everyone else is to embarrased to post their actual times. I went last weekend and there were three other speeds there and the fastest was a 14.5@95mph. I did a 14.65@98mph that night. 1.99 60' launch control set to 4000 and flat foot shifting set to 5000. Weighed 3580lbs with me in it.

My Fbodies had no problems running mid 13's bone stock, but to do that in a speed6 you better have a TMIC/FMIC, downpipe, midpipe, catback, intake, and tuned.

I just think its rude to point fingers at me - you don't know me, you werent at the track, so lets see your video's and time slip

I love how everyone at the mazdaspeed forums are defensive about the car, but where is your 13 second time slips? There is like four people that run decent times everyone else is to embarrased to post their actual times. I went last weekend and there were three other speeds there and the fastest was a 14.5@95mph. I did a 14.65@98mph that night. 1.99 60' launch control set to 4000 and flat foot shifting set to 5000. Weighed 3580lbs with me in it.

My Fbodies had no problems running mid 13's bone stock, but to do that in a speed6 you better have a TMIC/FMIC, downpipe, midpipe, catback, intake, and tuned.

I just think its rude to point fingers at me - you don't know me, you werent at the track, so lets see your video's and time slip

Dude, you're not the lone ranger, so don't act like you're the only dude to run a crappy time/speed at the track and blame the car. MANY people are disappointed in their car when it is almost always lack of driver experience/skill to get the best results from the particular car. Your F-bodies(had a few myself) were/are so easy to drive that practically ANYONE that could see over the steering wheel could run within a few tenths of the best posted times.

The problem with the relatively slow Speeds (pun intended!) is still with the driver. It takes quite a bit of practice and specific testing to get the best ET and trap speed from a stock Speed6. The ECU and OEM tune are setup for low-to-mid rpm power and the et/speed suffers if the launch, shift points, shift speed are not all hit perfectly. A completely stock Speed6 "should" run high 13s to low 14s if driven "correctly". There are few drivers that can get it done properly, so don't be too offended...

In general, a Speed6 with a few bolt-ons and a tune can and will run into the high 12s IF driven properly to get it there. The car doesn't like it and likely wouldn't hold up to such abuse repeatedly without significant longevity mods, but it WILL do it at least twice. I've driven my car to a 12.99 and a 12.96 and decided that was all I needed to see. You can take it or leave it, I don't care.

"I ain't as good as I once was, but once I'm as good as I ever was...."

Commenting on Forzda's post... I pushed out a 12.99 @104.7 this spring. The times are achievable, but it takes a lot of practice. The difficulty with practice is that practicing this kind of stuff wears things out QUICK! Nothing is free so you have to be prepared when you break something as well.

You pay to play. I've always said that, and it seems that people who are deadset on these great achievments expect to find it in a box on SU.

I'm not pointing fingers at you bro. I'm just saying you need to learn how to drive your car man! No offense towards you....

The MS6 is capable of breaking 13.5-13.6, it just takes driver skill. It's been done before, but can every1 do it? NO. You will see good drivers run 13.7-13.9 and mediocre drivers 14.0-14.3" anything beyond that, it's all driver error.

Dude, you're not the lone ranger, so don't act like you're the only dude to run a crappy time/speed at the track and blame the car. MANY people are disappointed in their car when it is almost always lack of driver experience/skill to get the best results from the particular car. Your F-bodies(had a few myself) were/are so easy to drive that practically ANYONE that could see over the steering wheel could run within a few tenths of the best posted times.

The problem with the relatively slow Speeds (pun intended!) is still with the driver. It takes quite a bit of practice and specific testing to get the best ET and trap speed from a stock Speed6. The ECU and OEM tune are setup for low-to-mid rpm power and the et/speed suffers if the launch, shift points, shift speed are not all hit perfectly. A completely stock Speed6 "should" run high 13s to low 14s if driven "correctly". There are few drivers that can get it done properly, so don't be too offended...

In general, a Speed6 with a few bolt-ons and a tune can and will run into the high 12s IF driven properly to get it there. The car doesn't like it and likely wouldn't hold up to such abuse repeatedly without significant longevity mods, but it WILL do it at least twice. I've driven my car to a 12.99 and a 12.96 and decided that was all I needed to see. You can take it or leave it, I don't care.

"I ain't as good as I once was, but once I'm as good as I ever was...."

(rofl)
I almost fell out of my chair

Commenting on Forzda's post... I pushed out a 12.99 @104.7 this spring. The times are achievable, but it takes a lot of practice. The difficulty with practice is that practicing this kind of stuff wears things out QUICK! Nothing is free so you have to be prepared when you break something as well.

You pay to play. I've always said that, and it seems that people who are deadset on these great achievments expect to find it in a box on SU.

Nice time. If you don't mind me asking, what were you're mod's when you ran 12.99?

But to get back on topic, TS: keep you're Fujita CAI and Get a CS or PG TIP, you will love the sound(godown)

Thanks for the constructive posts, i just find it really rude when the majority stomp on people for posting on the subject when I have serious doubts they have done better. I do find it painful to post excuses for my poor times.

But, here goes...I have been struggling with my short throw shifter plate, i think I finally have it adjusted where it no longer grinds 2nd or 3rd gear. Most of my slow passes were either a bad launch and or missing one of my gears.

I got an ok launch, i didnt grind any gears never took my foot off the gas and ran a best of 14.65@97.97mph. I do regret that i did not try any other shift points. I assumed with a cobb AP I make peak power at 5700rpms so to maximize this i was shifting at 6,000rpms.

If i could do it over again id shift at 5600rpms. There was another speed 6 at the track that ran a best of 14.5@95 (only mods were CAI/STS) and he walked me on the highway so I tend to think there is more to it then my driving... his car also weighed 80lbs more to boot. There was also a speed 3 there with a cobb ap and he was running mid 15's most of the night, but did manage one 14.5@101.9mph

Later this month when my ETS TMIC shows up ,ill make a few more passes at the track. At this point im done modding the car power wise. i think its time for an ACT 6 puck clutch. If i launch the car over 4200 rpms, the clutch slips bad -- i believe its limiting my possible 60' which kills my E.T.

Edit: i already took the fujita off and installed the corksport intake/turbo inlet pipe. Both my wife and I miss the sound of the turbo spooling but i love the throttle response I have now.

I'm not pointing fingers at you bro. I'm just saying you need to learn how to drive your car man! No offense towards you....

The MS6 is capable of breaking 13.5-13.6, it just takes driver skill. It's been done before, but can every1 do it? NO. You will see good drivers run 13.7-13.9 and mediocre drivers 14.0-14.3" anything beyond that, it's all driver error.

Maybe some MS6 are capable of that, i dont feel that mine in its current condition is. I am not trying to act like im the best driver in the world but the way my mazda is setup it feels fool-proof. Launch control and flat foot shifting take a lot of the hard work out of driving quick and consistant.

I would welcome anyone local to make a pass at martin or stanton and prove me wrong. I dont come here to these forums to cry or build an ego. i come here to learn from others experience and post any information that might help others. Instead i tend to get a bunch of insults, one guy told me i was an embarrassment to the mazda community and never come back. It just infuriates me that some people have the audicity to say stuff like that especially when they havent done any better themselves.

My fastest timeslip is a 12.7 from an 03 nissan sentra se-r spec v. Bolt ons + 75 shot nitrous. My next fastest was a 12.8@110mph from a 00 trans am (big cam, bolt ons, 3500 stall, 4.10gears, etc etc) - which had more in it but i was having tuning issues, kept bouncing off the rev limiter between shifts. Ive been going to the drag strip for 10 years, im not pro -- but i tend to think im decent. Ive always been able to extract the magazine reported times from my cars except this time.

..... Ive always been able to extract the magazine reported times from my cars except this time.

Ok, so it seems you do have the chops necessary to get down the strip. All said, you may indeed have something going on with your car. I recommend you run a few data logs and post them up for review. A few of us can possibly pick out any problems within the data.

Just my .02 I bought my MS6 with a Fujita CAI installed and a turbo Xs bov, I have not had any issues at all with the Fujita CAI and love the sound and power vs stock. I have my PG TIP on order now so I cant wait to see how that increases the performance and sounds of the CAI and BOV. Recently I have been thinknig about the CAI intake location and intend on building a aluminum box for the intake to sit in to keep it out of the way of water and anything else that may come through the wheelwell. Still in the design phases of it though. But thats my only beef about the fujita and thats really an issue with any CAI that goes that far down into the front bumper.

Just my .02 I bought my MS6 with a Fujita CAI installed and a turbo Xs bov, I have not had any issues at all with the Fujita CAI and love the sound and power vs stock. I have my PG TIP on order now so I cant wait to see how that increases the performance and sounds of the CAI and BOV. Recently I have been thinknig about the CAI intake location and intend on building a aluminum box for the intake to sit in to keep it out of the way of water and anything else that may come through the wheelwell. Still in the design phases of it though. But thats my only beef about the fujita and thats really an issue with any CAI that goes that far down into the front bumper.

Get a hydro shield, I have a similar set up. The TIP won't sound much diff but turbo will spool quicker for better response.

Im a bit paranoid when it comes to hydro locking a motor I did it when i was a kid. The hydro sheilds are nice but unless the company will pay for my blown motor if it fails I think Ill construct something a bit more safe. I plan on just making a small box sheild to block anything from coming from the bottom and the side against the wheelwell. I may use the hydro sheild as well though. jdw1 do you have any videos on youtube of your setup?

Im a bit paranoid when it comes to hydro locking a motor I did it when i was a kid. The hydro sheilds are nice but unless the company will pay for my blown motor if it fails I think Ill construct something a bit more safe. I plan on just making a small box sheild to block anything from coming from the bottom and the side against the wheelwell. I may use the hydro sheild as well though. jdw1 do you have any videos on youtube of your setup?

I bought the Injen one off SU, the flow seemed fine, be sure not to construct something that will prohibit air flow and negate the CAI set up. I'm still careful in heavy rain but I haven't had any issues w/what I have. I don't have a good camera but do plan on borrowing one at some point to add pics of the car and set up, I haven't had it long but so far I'm loving it. Not too many other options out there w/that kind of power capeabilities that can still get up to 25 mpg.

Last edited:
Im actually considering remaking the front fog light inserts out of fiberglass and then making it a RAM air type funel on the right side insert and bringing air directly to a custom box where the filter will be dropped into. Of course i will have a in line filter in the funel to catch debri, and some holes so that water can drain, Ill also having it angling down towards the front so water will not have the tendency to puddle in the intake funel. Im very excited about the project. Ill post pics once I get some supplies. I use to work on cars all the time back in the day when I was a teen, and as I have gotten older I have become to busy to work on them any more, and now Im starting to make time again. All though Im not that old I am that busy lol. (drinks)Cant wait to have a lot of fun with this MS6 :)

Back