Should I have gone with the 35%???

Most car models and makes have tinted windshields on top. The Mazda's don't have the lame tint on the front. It used to be that you could add tint (as long as it is not on top of factory tint) on the windshield and as long as it didn't go below the marking on the windshield. Did that change too? Lastly, I am surprised that the sunroof doesn't have tint from factory. :bs:

MisterT

hmm...i could have sworn i saw a maxima with tinted front windows and windshield this afternoon...must just be my imagination...

Wow, tint laws in the states suck!!! I don't understand why the laws are so light there, when the sun is hotter than it is here in Canada(eh). The laws here are 35% on front passenger windows, and 20% in the back. On my Midnight Blue P5, I had 20% all aorund)minus windscreen). Now with the 'Tight'anium MSP it's 35% mirror tint, just to play it safe, but it looks darker than my 20% did. My freind has limo tint(2%) all around, and has yet to get pulled over(it's crazy, you can't see out the windows when it's dark). Anyways. alteast you have the tint right, but the 35% would look a bit better, but atleast it's not clear glass your runnin'.

I had the same situation as you do while doing the front window tint... I have two friends getting tickets for tinting on the front and no front plate while his car is meter parking...

Now I have 45 at front / 20 on the rear...
It looks like nothing when parked outside, but obviously tinted in shaded parking lot... Wish I got 35 front, but....

I am always unlucky getting pulled, but havent get pulled because of windows tinting... but numerous times on no front plate, even the officer in my area recognize me signing off fix-it...

fc174f78.jpg

Here is 45 F/20 R, way better than getting pulled and fix the windows

jonnydoe48 said:
california is any % back windows/back glass, none in front windows/windshield

It's 35% . Nothing on the front windows. You can have a stip up to 7(no sure about the number) inches on the winshield.

anyone one know that the hell the tint laws are in illinois?? or where i can go to find them? 5% is Niiiice :)

alexlitov said:

It's 35% . Nothing on the front windows. You can have a stip up to 7(no sure about the number) inches on the winshield.

Almost, guys, I researched this when I got my tint on my P5 before. No limit to tint on rear window/rear doors. Front doors is limited to 70%, which is pretty much like not having tint when you have it installed with 5% on rear doors windows like I did. For my Mazdaspeed I am doing 5% rear doors,window and 35% up front and will risk the ticket.

Windshield / Front Side Windows / Rear Side Windows / Rear-Back Window / Year Passed

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.

Thats a totally f---ed up law... luckily I will never be driving to Cali!

Anyone from the Fredericksburg VA area know of a good shop for tint that isnt going to rape me on pricing?? And while we are on the topic, what are the VA tint laws?

In Florida EVERYONE did tint (gee, wonder why... duh), but around here I never see any shops.

t3ase said:
Windshield / Front Side Windows / Rear Side Windows / Rear-Back Window / Year Passed

California
NO / NO / ANY / ANY* / 1987 ?

Note : If the rear-back window is tinted, left and right rear-view mirrors are required.

Medical exemption allows for tint or other shading material is allowed on the front side doors if it allows at least 35% of the light to go through, readily is removable and cannot be used at night.

Enforcement Note : Out-of-State cars driven in California are required to be in compliance with the CA Tint law.

Straight from the California Vehicle code:

Front Windows:
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

Windshield:

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

In otherwords california

Windshield / Front Windows / Rear Doors / Rear Back Window

YES / 70 / ANY / ANY

yay for cars said:
why would the sunroof have tint? isnt the whole reason for a sunroof to let sun into the car?

Most car manufacturers have tint on theirs so if you want the window on tilt you can do so without getting blinded by the sun (even with a pair of shades on). And of course there is the option of opening it all the way if you want the full sun in to the car and at least you have some breeze. It gets hot here on the East Coast. :cool:

Another thing, is most manufacturers have autodim inside mirrors so you don't get blinded by SUVs and trucks (namely Fords are bright as hell) when driving behind you. I guess that is why that singer wear's his sunglasses at night:D

MisterT

Last edited:
i have 5% all around back and 20% on driver and pass door and 5% on 1/3 of my wind sheild. i loved florida but when i moved to maryland it sucks up here.i couldn't pass the auto inspection to get my tags. so i paid the guy off to pass me.....i work in washington d.c. and the law there is no tint so i get mad looks from everyone and the mom when i drive in dc

the tint guy told me that th pro5 has the same tint laws as a suv.they consider it a cargo vehicle cause of the back hatch that means you can go dark as you want in the back

CHICO, that sucks, that guy completely screwed you, although I don't know why. How can a tint guy not know the tint laws in his own state? Would there be a reason why he would push the 50% on you?

weird

If you guys are still interested, Sport Compact Car has a 50 state guide in the October edition of tint laws.

i was in california this past summer for three weeks straight and didn't have any problems with the cops. i have no front liscence plate and have 35% tint all the way around. my car was registered in california... anyway, now that i have had 35% on for about 9 months, i wish i would have gone 20% all around. arizona sucks in terms of heat. but yeah, in my experience, i have not had any problems with cops pulling me over with my "illegal" tint, even in california where the cops are pretty anal, especially in socal.

Back