Searching for a Black Plastic CX-5 Trim part number

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GS
Today an ice buildup in the back of the front left wheel well took off a piece of trim when it broke loose. We get that kind of buildup every winter here, and I’ve been wondering how this plastic car would hold up to it. Not so well.

Anyway, I’ve been searching a parts fiche for this piece of trim, and I can’t find it anywhere. I wondered if someone would know what it’s called or have a part number for it. It is the farthest forward piece of black plastic trim just below and in front of the drivers door. Or it is the farthest back and lowest piece of trim in the fender well. It forms a cover for the rear outside corner of the fender well, and is held on by two plastic clips. It is sort of triangular in a way, because it covers that corner and blends in to the black trim below the drivers door.

I should probably keep a few of them around as this will probably happen every winter. If anyone can point me to the right part, or a better place to find it online, I’d appreciate it.

Solution
That kind of sounds like the black wheel opening trim piece that gets removed & reinstalled when installing the front mud guards. If that's what it is, yes I broke the one on my driver side & had to get a new one. My dealer actually had it in stock. For whatever reason the driver & passenger side pieces are mirror images of each other but the driver side costs almost $5 more.

Driver side KB7W-51-W80B $16.32
Passenger side KB7W-51-W70B $11.58

I just googled those parts online & see them for way less but with shipping it may be a wash. I bought mine from the dealer because I needed it right then & was able to have it in 15 minutes.

The installation instructions for the front mud guards shows how that piece gets removed &...
That kind of sounds like the black wheel opening trim piece that gets removed & reinstalled when installing the front mud guards. If that's what it is, yes I broke the one on my driver side & had to get a new one. My dealer actually had it in stock. For whatever reason the driver & passenger side pieces are mirror images of each other but the driver side costs almost $5 more.

I just googled those parts online & see them for way less but with shipping it may be a wash. I bought mine from the dealer because I needed it right then & was able to have it in 15 minutes.

The installation instructions for the front mud guards shows how that piece gets removed & reinstalled.

Attachments

• KB7W-V3-450.pdf
    654.6 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution

The installation instructions for the front mud guards shows how that piece gets removed & reinstalled.
Thank you. That’s it. I just couldn’t find it on a parts fiche. I see where they have it now, but I never would have recognized it. I’d like to find a better fiche with better images, but it seems like this is what Mazda puts out. I find parts for my BMW motorcycles, and even my X5 when I had it, all the time, but the images are so much clearer than these.

im finding this car to have some real weaknesses in the winter weather we have. Not in starting or handling the snow, it drives great and I love it. But the body parts are so fragile. I’ve broken two pieces already just from normal driving. There is no way to avoid getting those ice buildups at the back and front of the wheel wells here. It just happens while you drive, and it doesn’t come off until a warmer day, and often breaks off in a big chunk. Our Subarus had tough rubbery pieces there, this X5 has those little molding pieces that are barely attached. Still love the car, but it is pretty fragile. I’m going to order a few of these to keep in stock for repairs.

anyway, thanks for the information!

Upvote 0
Ha! I know how to remove it! Just drive in snow for for a few hours and let it build up under there, then go over any small hump that will break the whole thing off. Stop, go back to ice chunk and recover the broken part. 😂

Upvote 0
I installed OEM mud flaps on day 1 of getting my CX-5. Lots of snow/crud buildup here in Minnesota in winter. I've never had any problems with the trim pieces, the mud flaps take all the abuse, and they are still just fine today.

Upvote 0
I installed OEM mud flaps on day 1 of getting my CX-5. Lots of snow/crud buildup here in Minnesota in winter. I've never had any problems with the trim pieces, the mud flaps take all the abuse, and they are still just fine today.
You know, another thing I've noticed about the CX 5 in winter weather is that because of the design of the lower door trim, the door tends to get encased in ice at the bottom. They put the rubber seal on the body, and a curved piece of plastic on the bottom of the doors that seals agains the rubber seal. Normally there is a rubber seal on the door that closes against the body of the car. That curved piece of plastic gets encased in ice making it hard to pull the door open some mornings.

I also notice that when I get into the car with snow on my boots, I always have tapped my boot against the side of the car below the door to knock most of it off. On the CX 5, you end up rapping your heal against the door seal instead of metal or other trim material. I expect this will wear the seals faster. On the other hand, the normal set up causes the seal to freeze to the door frame at times, so I'm not sure which is the better design.

I think all of this was done to make the car quiet, and it is, but it's not good in winter climates. I ordered some front mud guards, and presumable they will help this situation also.

I love this car, but I am finding what I feel are some significant design flaws as related to winter driving.

Upvote 0
I'm resurrecting this thread because again this winter the drivers side lower molding broke off after gathering ice at the back of the wheel-well. I didn't even bother putting front mud flaps on for the third time because they get torn off every winter. So, the lower molding just ripped off anyway with a huge piece of ice. Where we live, every car on the road builds up that kind of ice in certain conditions.

I have never had a problem with any other vehicle losing parts when the ice inevitably breaks off. There is no way to prevent the buildup when it is very cold, but the strong Colorado sun is causing the snow on the road to melt anyway. Today our high was 4 degrees, but the road was covered with slush. As soon as that slush leaves the road and hits your car it freezes and builds up.

My question is, now that we are a couple of years farther down the road, is there any alternative mud flap that anyone has found that will withstand normal use of the car in winter?

Upvote 0
Back