Saving fuel on CX9

Hold the INFO button down to reset several of the counters.

How do you reset the average mileage display?

You can reset anything "AVG" on the trip computer by holding down the INFO button, as Tenfore said; but rest assured, it will only reset THAT item that is currently displayed.

Ran through our first tank on a 2010 CX-9 Touring FWD and came up w/ 20.1 (Fuelly) w/ 50/50 driving. We're working on tank #2 so we'll see how bad it gets with about 70/30. Coming from a CX-7 personal vehicle that got 17mpg. My CX-5 is still getting 26mpg... makes me happy.

Ran through our first tank on a 2010 CX-9 Touring FWD and came up w/ 20.1 (Fuelly) w/ 50/50 driving. We're working on tank #2 so we'll see how bad it gets with about 70/30. Coming from a CX-7 personal vehicle that got 17mpg. My CX-5 is still getting 26mpg... makes me happy.

K, did a fill up and got 16.4 with nearly exclusive city driving. Most of those trips were just a couple miles one way. It's getting closer than my CX-7 ended up getting compared to stated mileage(ended up w/ 17mpg v. 19mpg). My CX-5 gets slightly better than the stated mileage. Wife loves it.

I only have 3-months experience with my 2010 GT and I have filled up 10 times but I have probably driven 500,000+ miles in many different vehicles so I have developed my own style to achieve fuel economy and a high average speed. My overall average is 19.4 MPG (using a neat app called GasLog instead of a dog-eared notebook) and my best was 22.3 MPG over 401 miles. Highway miles are typically 75 MPH with some bursts to 80 and 21 to 22 MPG seems easily achievable - at least here in the midwest where it is not too hilly.

I am conscious of not being a leadfoot (nor a roadblock) when starting from 0 - and getting to a higher gear quickly - which does sacrifice some getaway speed but rapid acceleration and not speed is the fuel mileage killer IMHO. I do look far ahead on the road at traffic lights that are either red or green, traffic, upcoming stops, and other things that will let me coast to a stop (as long as no one is on my bumper) rather than to use heavy braking. On my previous vehicle I would often shift into neutral to coast however I read that our AWD transaxle does not like that so I have stopped doing that.

On the highway I use cruise control as much as possible and drive around the obstacles in the left lane rather than slowing down and then speeding up again. It appears that this engine like warmer outside temps - cruising at 75 mph in 70+ degree weather gave me better mileage (on the INFO screen) than later on in the day when the temperature dropped into the 60s and then the mid 50s. I've briefly seen 24+ MPG on the INFO screen but at 60 MPH and not 75. It seems possible that with a really full tank, which I tend to do, that you initially get an artificially high MPG reading - but it will take a little more time for me to be sure about that.

In the final analysis over acceleration and braking are the big culprits. Braking away all the MPH gained with a heavy foot to come to a complete stop (stop-and-go) will always result in poor mileage. Smoothing that out by modifying your driving style with our heavy vehicle should improve fuel mileage. For some people it may not be worth the effort for a few MPG!

81K+ on my CX9 and I consistently get 18 to 19 in mixed city driving and around 21-22 on hwy doing 75~80mph on regular unleaded. This includes my jack rabbit starts from the stop lights to smoke those pesky V-8's!

I have to wonder if there's a class action law suit in there somewhere. If I remember correctly, Mazda advertises 16-24 MPG (at least for the 2013). It doesn't sound like anyone is getting that. I know someone who owns a Hyundai and gets a $50 check in the mail every year because of a class action lawsuit that some Hyundai owners filed (and won) due to Hyundai overestimating the MPG of that particular model (I think it was the Elantra).

15XX miles, 17.9 mpg in 50/50 split now. I figure that's pretty good for a 2010. I've been hovering around 16 in pure city driving.

2012 GT AWD consistently getting 18 mpg in mixed. Have logged every fill up since purchase on fulley.com
Right above 8000 miles

I remember an Edmunds story from a few years ago that measured efficiency impact of many different factors. The biggest driver of efficiency BY FAR was driving style. Light on the gas when accelerating. Coast when coming up to traffic lights, stop signs, etc.

I remember an Edmunds story from a few years ago that measured efficiency impact of many different factors. The biggest driver of efficiency BY FAR was driving style. Light on the gas when accelerating. Coast when coming up to traffic lights, stop signs, etc.

The one change I've made over the last 3-4 years in my driving style that has improved my overall fuel economy by about 5% on average is how I approach light controlled intersections. I've always tried to pay attention to what's going 50 car lengths ahead as well as a few car lengths in front of me. If I see a traffic light that will probably turn yellow or red before I reach it, I start coasting at a distance that's four or five times more than the distance I would use to quickly brake to a stop. In an ideal situation, I've slowed to 30 or 35 mph and I'm still 8-10 car lengths from the light when it turns green again. My CX-9 is probably in 4th gear (possibly 3rd if it decides it's a situation where it needs to help me by engine braking) and if it's a 45mph zone I can get back up to 45-50 very easily without causing it to downshift. I live in the foothills of the North Georgia Mountains and it amazes how often I cllimb a few hills going 40-45 and it's in 5th gear and sometimes I can maintain the speed all the way up the hill without it downshifting from 5th. On the same hill, my '07 V6 Explorer would be groaning in 2nd (out of 5) gear and going 10mph slower than when I started up the hill. Torque and appropriate gearing are beautiful things!

Im getting really bad mileage almost criminal. All city driving with easy acceleration, i think im around 6-7mpg. You would think the carwould be telling me something is wrong. Im frustrated to say the least.

Wow, something must be wrong or your usage is very far from normal. Do you do a lot of idling? Do you let the car warm up by idling in the morning or do you start up and start driving? How are you measuring fuel economy?

Wow, something must be wrong or your usage is very far from normal. Do you do a lot of idling? Do you let the car warm up by idling in the morning or do you start up and start driving? How are you measuring fuel economy?

Well, the problem is. My job is only 4km(little over 2 miles). It is all stop signs and lights and i never get out of 4th maybe 5th gear. It is basically the worst case scenario. However i got the car back in July i was getting around 218 miles per tank. This tank i can almost watch the gauge go down, and it looks like im on course for maybe 120-130 miles, which is ridiculous. Geez i wonder what winter will look like consider the worst is yet to come, maybe 2mpg???

Im gonna fill the tank till the nozzles clicks once. See how much it took and then when i fill up again, ill divide the mileage versus the gallons it takes. This last fillup i cheated a bit as i didn't fill it all the way, however i still know the mileage is definitely down from the 10mpg i was getting.

You didn't mention if you let the car warm up by letting it idle before beginning your commute. How many gallons does it typically take to fill your tank?

This time i put 14.9 gallons in, however it wasn't topped off and i probably could have put in another 2-3 gallons. Ill know next tank when i fill it to the top and then see after a full tank. I do not let it idle before i drive it. I coast to the stop signs and lights.

It was 80 bucks worth at 14.9 gallons. It is 1.42 a liter and one gallon is 3.78 liters. I know full fillup is closer to 100 bucks a tank.

If an engine is designed for 87, using 91 fuel decreases MPG.
The energy content in 91 fuel is less than that of 87 per volume.

I looked up the forum for an answer to this. Your answer, which seems to be an informed one, resonates with my real life experience. I found that 91 octane yields an average of 14L/100KM ( I am a Canadian :> ) and 87 Octane yields about 12.3L/100Km, which is better .
I drive very light footedly and tend to brake the least possible.
Anyone with experience , please share,

Last edited:
This time i put 14.9 gallons in, however it wasn't topped off and i probably could have put in another 2-3 gallons. Ill know next tank when i fill it to the top and then see after a full tank. I do not let it idle before i drive it. I coast to the stop signs and lights.

It was 80 bucks worth at 14.9 gallons. It is 1.42 a liter and one gallon is 3.78 liters. I know full fillup is closer to 100 bucks a tank.

I Think I'm suffering the same issue.. I get below 10 mpg's...I took the car to a shop, and the mechanic took the car for several tests to confirm if the sensors that send gas to the engine where giving correct readings, the MAF sensor was giving low volatge readings, so he had it cleaned..but it did no improved..he kept checking the sensors, and he got some strange readings for the O2 sensors..I'm giving it a shot and I'll have them replaced (56 dls on ebay for a pair), and see if this improved my milleage..god...it sucks...when I fill up a tank I barely squeeze 180 miles per tank on city driving..even my old explorer 1997 had better mpg's

I mean no dis-respect, but you are wasting your time, in my opinion. 180 miles per tank on city driving is about normal. This motor gets 22mpg at 60mph on a flat and level surface with fully inflated tires. Interstate 70mph your gonna get about 19 or 20, and stop and go traffic around town heading to walmart you will get about 10 - 15. Thats just how it is. I have tried using 89 octane, put in a k&n filter (lets not have that arguement now), took my oem hitch off, and overinflated the tires, and all of that basically did nothing for fuel economy.

Its just a horrible gas sucker.

Please excuse my English.

I have a 2008 3.7 + LPG BRC. The LPG tank hover around 230 miles, about 24L/100 consumption, gasoline 95 consumption 18L/100 - I'll find out what's wrong.

mate has the same car and approached the LPG 340 miles. 50/50

Latest posts

Back