Sadly, traded in the P5 today...

winston3x

Bought my first one in 08 with 65k and 8 months later totaled by a falling tree. Scrambled with an insurance check and rental car and found another 4hrs away. Left the lot and realized oh s***, I just bought a car with no side airbags or anti-lock brakes. I proceeded to drive it for 120,000 more miles over the next 8 years with the only incidents caused by failures of the smallest parts (eff you sticky thermostat!!!), and a bad re-manufactured water pump. Replaced a starter a month ago and it was still driving so strong with original cold AC and ATX. But, it was still a 14 year old car with 183,xxx. So, I'm now an owner of a '12 Subaru Impreza hatchback, which feels and looks like the P5 evolved. But it does not drive the same, close but not the same. This is a great forum, thanks to everyone for the info over the years.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.JPG
    IMG_1924.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Lame! Just kidding hope you good luck on the subaru forums and on regular maintenance on the vehicle as I have read the block engines are a pita to work on.

You're dead to me. ;) Glad you got another hatchback and a good one at that.

If it was a manual is a given you more than you got in trade. That's a good lookin P5!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Congrats and condolences...

You'll be joining a great group on NASIOC.

Man that pic made me sad... Never want that look over my shoulder while walking away to be my last.

It's always hard to give them up. I let my first truck go last week after 6 years.

I wish I was a millionaire so I didn't have to sell stuff.

Man that pic made me sad... Never want that look over my shoulder while walking away to be my last.

Yep, it was tough. After test driving many cars and living with the Impreza for a few weeks now; Nothing drives as good as the P5. I wish Mazda had not put that smiley face on the 2nd gen Mazda3s or it would have been a no-brainier. The 3rd gen S Mazda3 are a step in the right direction but they were out of my price range, and the 5 door still looks a little chunky an bubbly, like an after thought to the sedan, which looks great.

On a positive note, I was sure with the mileage they would ship it off to auction. But they kept it and listed it on their lot. http://www.raisor.com/Used-2002-Mazda-Protege5-Lafayette-IN/vd/36486186. So if you know anyone close to Lafayette IN... With a timing job and new plugs and coils, this one has another 100k in it.

Yup. I've got 234k. Broken motor and no expertise to fix. Too much to pay someone else so selling. I've test drove cars for 2 yrs. nothing comes close. Corners like a vette, but my price. The sad end of an era. All u P5 ers, drive em till u can't. Nothing else out there like it now. :(

Back