Rx7 Fuel Injectors? What piggybacks can the p5 run? SRI o2 sensor?

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi board, was speaking to a miata owner about ways to get some more power, he had two recommendations which he said didn't require much wrench work. Replacing the stock Fuel Injectors from that of an rx7 twin turbo, and running a piggyback and advancing the timing by either 4 degrees, or .4 degrees, can't remember all that well. HE said I might be able to run a piggyback from the NC miata, or Mazdaspeed3's, and obviously something specifically designed for the protege's . He said it would be better for me to get the MP3 ecu first then to get the piggy back. Any recommendations on where to get an OEM mp3 ecu? or does it being flashed not make a difference? I'm planning on doing all basic bolt on's before I do the tune though. Headers, SRI, Racing Beat Catback, upgraded fuel system. Also for the Short Ram, I was told that I would lose my first o2 sensor, and then not be able to pass smog, as well as live with a CEL. Is that true, and is there a way to get around that?

The timing change can be accomplished with the MP3 flash. You'll need to run premium fuel to take advantage of it.

SRIs aren't good for much besides noise, a header helps some. Do the nonfouler mod for the second 02, and you can still pass smog if you leave the main cat in place, or install a high flow aftermarket.

I don't see bigger injectors doing much of anything without forced induction.

Do you have a smog buddy down in orange county? I'd definitely drive all the way down for one, all the buddies up here are way too expensive for it to be worth it.

Last edited:
I'm aware the MP3 advances the timing and I NEED to run premium, but I'm talking about creating tunes for E85, and regular race gas, hence why I'm talking bigger injectors. I'm planning on getting a better fuel pump and larger fuel injection line.

Back