rx-8

BadAsheP5

Contributor
:
red 02 p5
all i can say is WoW
that car is amazing
mazda really put a lot of thought into this car
i drove one yesterday and pending the outcome of my poor poor p5 and how insurance will be may be getting one
those two third doors on each side are the best i really just cant believe how much room is in that car
my father, my husband, the salesman and myself were all in the car at the same time and there was plenty of room
the salesman told me to drive it like i stole it .... ha ha ha
and that is what i did ...lol
the short throw shifts were awesome, the power was crazy and the handling was outstanding
i really cant say that there was anything that i didnt like about it ........ DAMN !!

I test drove a RX-8 today too. It was okay, but I wouldn't buy it if I was looking for power. The car felt a tad bit heavy on launch. I think the S2K that I test drove a few months ago had more pull to it.

Overall though, the RX-8 was comfortable and very pretty to look at. The tires did give in on a few corners I pressured it through. The interior was quiet and the controls were all within reach. The headlights (HID) were.... okay, I wasn't impressed with the tiny HIDs.... too bad the high beams were not HID also :D .

For the price I think the RX-8 is very difficult to beat.... oh, at first I didn't like the navigation system, but after test driving the Touring package it looked pretty sharp with all the other fancy lights on the dashboard. :)

One thing I don't like about the RX-8 though... the wheels are ugly and that seems to be only option wheels you can choose from unless you down-size it to a 16 inch.

The back seat is pretty nice (it's not a bench seat like the TT or a truck), but definitely not for anyone over 6 feet unless you have 4 feet driver/passenger sitting in the front. :D

Oh yeah, the cornering is pretty good even though the tires slipped a bit during one or two of hard cornering. The dealer showed us the sensor light (forgot what he called it) that comes on when you twisted left and right really hard while going around 50 mph... LOL

Last edited:
FC3s Boy said:
Hell ya I love that car

there was a silver one in the parking lot tonight at Walgreen's. I just drove up to it, stared at it and just sat there admiring it. I see the damn thing every time I go to the dealer, but damn, its still a striking car.

I drove one pretty extensively as well, that car is frikkin great.

The thing about RX-8's is that, atleast with me, they still have that "wow" element to them. Some cars have it when they first come out, but when they get popular enough, it goes away (ex. The Hummer H2). But I don't think I see that going away with the RX. The 7 DEFINITLY still has it, and I think the 8 will too.

The 7 is still great! But has anyone actually purchased an 8 and modded it? IE, given it decent fueling curves?

There's mods coming out for the 8 to get it to where it should be AND more, even NA.

http://www.rx8club.com

I'm sure you all know of that place already though ;)

We just put a muffler on our rx8 and we are going to tear down the motor and give it a little port job in search of some more power.

My current Driveway.

The 8 Rules. Mine is still stock, but HKS and Rotary Extreme bits will be coming via UPS soon. Then even more zoom zoom :)

/members/skuzbucket/dsc00707.jpg

I got to drive one the other day for the first time. all I can say, besides being impressed, is how smoothly an rx-8 runs out of gas. The dealers gas guy hadn't been doing his job, so the car was running on fumes. started 2 differents 8's up, both will fuel light on. sales guy is like "we should be ok" head off to a short loop before the interstate. I'm going slow to get a feel for the shifting, and he's like open it up, so i did. ~65 around a 200yd radius curve, tires stuck nicely, but alot of body roll. got to the straight uphill part and it started to slow down. then it dawned on me we were out of gas. interesting notes: when the engine stops, so does the gauge lights (you can't see the tach, etc at all) and it WILL NOT TURN. the steering wasn't locked, I just couldn't turn the wheel.
all things considered, it was fun. still up in the air though on whether I trade my P5 for one next year.

skuzbucket said:
My current Driveway.

The 8 Rules. Mine is still stock, but HKS and Rotary Extreme bits will be coming via UPS soon. Then even more zoom zoom :)

/members/skuzbucket/dsc00707.jpg

So jealous.

yes, i think someone of my height (5'10") would be the maximum RX-8 can hold and still make the rear seat behind driver usable to carry humans :D

The rx-8s are cool looking but your not getting enough for your money. Theres a guy that works with me who I continue to beat. And im talkin two car lenghts. I thought it was just him so I went to a dealer and test drove one. The cars ok but it reminds me of a honda. 1st gear is crap, 2nd is better, then when you finally get to third then it kicks in. Buy that time all you see is my taillights. Get a Evo for the same price

Yeah,the 8 would be my next car but I've got 3 major issues w/ it.

Insurance(through the roof)
Gas Milage(horrible)
Lack of Torque(nuff said)\

So I guess the only RX-8 that I'm going to own is the HPI body for the TC3.

Last edited:
Dragon Wagon said:
Yeah,the 8 would be my next car but I've got 3 major issues w/ it.

Insurance(through the roof)
Gas Milage(horrible)
Lack of Torque(nuff said)\

So I guess the only RX-8 that I'm going to own is the HPI body for the TC3.
Insurance - 61/mo for me - cheaper the my p5
Gas Mileage - So??? it is a rotary sports car. They are not know for their mileage ever. It didn't slow down my decision.
Torque - Why do you need torque when you can rev it to 9K. It may not jump off the line like a WRX, but it will blow it away in a road course with the right driver

(burnout)

Back