Rx-7 FC Questions

ZoomZoomH said:

No prob, sweetie.

I have never been one to get onto people like that. Heh...though there was at one time a person on this forum who caused me to really have to bite my tongue *cough*Asianho*cough* , but I didn't let her st00pid comments get to me. :D

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

okay. not trying to be a know it all, but an ex and I did own an 84 GSL-SE. It had a 13b, and all wheel disc brakes. Not too sure what else the GSL-SE had that was different.

could be. i don't know everything

My 20b fd friend confirmed it. He's been driving RX-7s for 20+ years.

In 84, Mazda put out a limited edition GSL-SE package with the 13B and all wheel disc brakes. The same package carried over to the 85 year model.

your friends got a really nice detailed page of his car. plus i like to log onto it every once in awhile and listen to the clip of the Reknown 787B.

wow...I had no idea you knew who I was on the rx7club forum or derrick. funny how many people lurk...heh...not that it's a bad thing, especially considering that forum...:D

yeah a t3/4 with a tuned haltech would be nice...but for those on a budget...an S5 turbo with a tuned S-AFC will do. big numbers are great...but if you're concerned with streetability, it turns into a whole different story. and then theres cost...a new haltech e11 alone will run you a grand. a new SAFC is perfect...considering that the stock fuel system can support 250hp...with an SAFC and fat injectors, you can go pretty far.

see this thread for info:
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=154217

big power is GREAT...i plan on a GIANT streetport with a big single (T04B anyone?)...just to see how much power i can make. but as a daily driver? i dont think so.

the FC does have a rats nest...of course its nowhere near as complicated as the FD vac system, but it still is a giant pain in the ass.

yeah the rx7club isnt too nice to n00bs...if you go there make sure you do your homework before you ask a question. teamfc3s.org on the other hand, is a lot more friendly.

every day i look at FBs, i want one...a carb'd 12A with a b-port...the "blop-blop-blop" of the engine makes me drool.

i wish i could host some vids of some CRAZY rotary powered vehicles...they're so sweet.

and now....the rats nest.

Attachments

• dcp_0826.jpg
    dcp_0826.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 135
When I did the vacuum hose job on an fd, we counted about 90 of those little hoses....:eek: and what was very frustrating is that my help (owner of the car) broke two of those crispy solenoids....they cost him 300 bux too...

Yea... Thanks guys.. YOUR RIGHT those Rx-7 forum people are ass holes... well anyways you guys are cool. I dunno what I'm gonna get I just want a really fast cheep car and I was thinkin the FC. Because the MP3 just aint cuttin it. But next year my dad is getting the new RX-8 I cant wait for him to get it. Corksport already has the Mazdaspeed body kit for it. I love that car... Mmmm that cars so hot it makes my teeth sweat. Well yea. I went to barns and noble and got some book on rebuilding the FC and I'm gonna read up on it. I just want a really fast car here is what I was thinking of...
-FC with big ass turbo
-'92 civic hatch with GSRengine
-Eclipse GSX, sell Mp3
-Old school WRX with GC8 and CWest kit

My brother next month is dumping like 7gs in his integra and doing full C-west type R kit... AND LSR... Fully built and re sleeved and a 75 shot of nos... I cant have my little brother handing my ass to me in a race now.. You know how it is.

here's a little bit of inside knowledge. rotary's are not cheep but can be fast, and that statement about fast and cheep is somewhat of an oxymoron. do yourself a favor and go nice,not rice.

don't be doing engine swaps and all that s***. too much involved. yes i know most engines out of teg's and civics just drop in but still, who wants to deal with that? the badasssss WRX's like the old 2.5 style we didn't even get over here in the states so i don't know if those were what you ment or not but you ain't gonna find of of those. you also named an eclipse GSX. very suitable contender. the X is for the AWD version as apposed to the FWD T so you'll be better off with that because traction can be a b**** in those cars. those can be made pretty damn quick with your basic bolt ons for a reletivly low price. then when you start to get into the fun stuff like bigger turbo's such as a 16g or 20g you'll really be impressed. or if your really up for some power go for a super 20g or some other big BB turbo. all these turbo's are really not that expensive as compared to the rotary alternitives.

quick story, i saw a kid with a newer Eclipse GST start to chase down an older Iroc with a 383 stroker kit coming onto a nice long stretch of highway. the kid smoked his tires all the way through 1st gear then a little in 2nd and then it was all over. he left that camero looking like he was standing still. great highway racer but your not going to get alot of play with the big turbo on there going street to street, but once you do you'll be whoopin up on most of the ricers who think they're hot s*** round town.

so honestly man, the rotary engine is very picky and finicky and can't just have stuff like power adders thrown onto it with out the accompanying mods such as fuel and ecu stuff. if you don't have another vehicle you can drive when the TII is down for the count till it can be fixed your going to be in trouble. it will have its issues no doubt. so if your not one to be patient and understanding of these things you'll buy the car, have the first thing go wrong with it and be selling it by the end of the first month. maybe a turbo rotary isn't the best choice for you.:confused:

twiztedjeckel said:
do yourself a favor and go nice,not rice.
heh...I like that.

he's got the right idea. However, I have several eclipse friends and one thing about them (1st or 2nd gen) is the clutch problems. my boss has a 1st gen GSX (the awd turbo bad mamma jamma). Problem is that it weighs over TWO TONS! and when something goes wrong with the drivetrain, the parts are enormously expensive. As far as the clutches for 2nd gens go, they go thru them like crazy, especially if you race em. I have a regular customer who replaces his clutch every 3- 6 months. The real problem lies with the spline, and you can have the spline replaced, but it's costly/time consuming and you will have to do it regularly too.

I think rotaries are fantastic and worth the effort (MY OPINION ONLY). A clean TII 7 would be a great car. remember, the 2nd gens are the heaviest of the 7s.

A WRX would prolly be the most hassle free. Check out the Imprezas too.

Good luck to ya, whatever u choose. :)

you've got to be shitting me!!!!!! an eclipse or talon weighs over 4,000lbs? i don't even think those fat bastard 3KGT VR-4's. not calling you a liar but this i've got to check into.

also if you go with a DSM. look for the Talon TSI's instead of the Eclipse GSX's. same car but the talon can be had for a couple thousand less usually.

My friend drives a stock GSX damn... I got my ass handed to me. He also took out a civic hatch '02 with GSR and headers and stuff. Damn... Yea I dunno I'm talkin to the guys a performance autoworx on getting a good project car. Honda's are cheep... But i dunno the GC8 the guys said something like there is 500 of them imported here and like motorex can get them over here.

yeah and when Motorex finds you and ships you a car make sure its got a clean title or however that works and make sure you have the car checked out before you take final delivery. they've been known to sell cars that have been in accidents with messed up frames and whatnot.

ever see how that pretty boy Paul Walker got an R-34 Skyline after the gay and the curious came out? he got it from Motorex and returned it not to long afterwords because of this very reason. not very good business if you ask me.

stick with something simple. if your just getting into this you'll end up over your head in no time flat along with credit card bills coming out your ass

yes they did. i saw it in the trailer for 2 fast 2 furious. last time i saw it was that kickass blue color.

idiots. wonder if the price of the evo will be driven up like poopras were after the first one came out

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

okay. not trying to be a know it all, but an ex and I did own an 84 GSL-SE. It had a 13b, and all wheel disc brakes. Not too sure what else the GSL-SE had that was different.

ok, I'll step in here as I figure I might have at least soem knowledge on the subject... (he he...)

The gsl-se was produced in 84 and 85, and bothe were basically identile with an exception of the 85 haveing a taller 5th gear.

They all came with 4 wheel disk brakes, vented in the front, LSD, 13b fuel injected engine rated at 135hp/133ftlbs from teh factory. They all came pretty much flat loaded with sunroof, power everything, etc etc etc.. About the only option were a glass roof, Power steering and I beleive a very few of them came witout leather.

These cars can outrun any of the non-turbo 2nd gens in a heartbeat. (most of them don't know that, but its fun to show them) The advantage is the lower weight 1st gen body. (2300-2600 depending on the car)

Ok, on to 2nd gens...

If you're looking for a turboII to build up, keep your eyes open for an 89-91 model, as they had more power outta the box. They generally cost more, but not all of the owners know they shoudl so deals can be found.

Back