Running Rich

el_Don

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES
I know that ours cars come out of the factory a little rich, but lately I've noticed the tailpipe sediment increase a great deal. I checked my spark plugs and they were dry but had a lot of residue on them. I was thinking it could be the MAF sensor or an O2 sensor but I thought I would have a CEL if that were the case. Any ideas?

Also the only way to alter the ECU is to use a piggyback system or re-flash correct?

Thanks!

Last week I unplugged the battery during the process of installing the intake manifold. That did reset everything.

Were you getting the tailpipe sediment before the intake manifold install? Do you drive with your foot in it all the time?

Well I always had some sort of sediment like most cars. I do push the car a little everyday (4500 rpms) but nothing really crazy. Maybe I should look into a wideband. I really don't know if it just me being subjective or if there really is a problem. Other than a wideband, how can I check whether it is running rich or not?

Here's my dyno (shield your eyes from the awesome power output!!!):
09-08-07_dyno011.jpg

It does get pretty rich above 3500 rpms.

Is it getting on your bumper or just on your tailpipe?

Hail the awesome power! (wow)

It's only on the tailpipe, but I'm seriously wondering whether it's just dirt. Unless there's some sign or a CEL I can't go on anything.

I wouldn't worry about it. All Mazdas run rich and get dirty tail pipes it seems. Buy a rotary and you'll see what I mean, lol. But the FS-DE runs pretty rich as well.

For an update, it seems that the "richness" that I thought was actually caused by oil entering the exhaust and not burning. My car has been consuming a pretty good amount of oil. I ran a compression test today and found that all cylinders were at 160 psi. Any idea as to what is causing this? Thanks

get ready for a rebuild....if your lucky its just your valve seals...how many miles are on that engine?

I have 99,745 miles on it. I thought that if I had low compression then it would most likely mean worn piston rings. So with the compression I have right now I'm thinking it is the valve seals. But I'm no mechanic.

One man job, so I couldn't tell you for sure. I just gave enough to get about 5 or 6 cranks and then checked the pressure. I was going by YouTube instructions. Should be ok right?

Sorry to say it but it was similiar with my fp-de but around 140k, though it seems these fs-de on stock internals sem to go sooner. Hopefully its just the valve seals. Get a set for intake and ones specifically for exhaust.

Glad you told me. I generally like to do my own work but I think I'll be taking the car into a mechanic this time. I'll be sure to let them know what to get. I'll be changing out the timing belt and most likely the water pump while I'm at it.

Hey that's what these forums are for. Pass along our personal experiences. Might be right, I might not but its something to keep in mind. Let me know how it goes.

Back