Royal Purple, Zepro or Castrol Edge?

I have been putting Mazda Oil and then Zepro with moly into my CX-5 2015 since the beginning for 50k miles. Now I dont see Zepro with moly on Amazon and the regular Zepro price doubled. I barely put 7k miles a year. Should I switch to Castrol Edge or go with the hyped up Royal Purple. I dont see Royal Purple saying it contains Moly on the bottle. What has your experience been long term with MPG when using these oils? I live in Los Angeles warmer climate. Thanks

I have been putting Mazda Oil and then Zepro with moly into my CX-5 2015 since the beginning for 50k miles. Now I dont see Zepro with moly on Amazon and the regular Zepro price doubled. I barely put 7k miles a year. Should I switch to Castrol Edge or go with the hyped up Royal Purple. I dont see Royal Purple saying it contains Moly on the bottle. What has your experience been long term with MPG when using these oils? I live in Los Angeles warmer climate. Thanks
Castrol Edge 0W-20 or any other name-brand oils without moly should be fine to use. If you want moly, you still can get Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and get it from Med Center Mazda with free shipping on $100+ order. If I’m going to switch my Mazda moly 0W-20 oil, I’d try new Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil as it claims the following improvements over GF-6 standard:
  • 30% more protection against engine wear
  • 26-46% reduction in oil consumption for longer life
  • Up to 24% improved fuel economy
  • 90% more resistant to viscosity increases
  • Three to four times more protection against cold startups
  • 91% reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI)
  • 6% cleaner engine
06F063F4-8245-465E-8296-07600A0089EC.jpeg

Castrol Edge 0W-20 or any other name-brand oils without moly should be fine to use. If you want moly, you still can get Mazda moly 0W-20 oil and get it from Med Center Mazda with free shipping on $100+ order. If I’m going to switch my Mazda moly 0W-20 oil, I’d try new Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil as it claims the following improvements over GF-6 standard:
  • 6% cleaner engine
View attachment 296274
24% improved fuel economy compared to what? Vaseline? Certainly not 24% better than other approved oils in your Mazda.

24% improved fuel economy compared to what? Vaseline? Certainly not 24% better than other approved oils in your Mazda.

Totally agree.
I always like the 'up to' part of those statements.
So, if it was -24%, that statement would still be accurate.

You have to ask Idemitsu for details. No matter what there’s improvement over almost every area which should be the fact on GF-6 standard. The best part to me on GF-6 oil is the reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI).

You have to ask Idemitsu for details. No matter what there’s improvement over almost every area which should be the fact on GF-6 standard. The best part to me on GF-6 oil is the reduction in low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI).
But doesn't the car need to be designed to take advantage of that? Are you suggesting that the existing CX-5 design is susceptible to LSPI?

Isn't it akin to using higher octane fuel than what's indicated?

Totally agree.
I always like the 'up to' part of those statements.
So, if it was -24%, that statement would still be accurate.
"up to" means "less than", or more precisely, "at the limits of the most extreme case we can concoct".

But doesn't the car need to be designed to take advantage of that? Are you suggesting that the existing CX-5 design is susceptible to LSPI?

Isn't it akin to using higher octane fuel than what's indicated?
All turbocharged, direct-injected (DI) gasoline engines are susceptible to LSPI. I’d imagine Mazda would program their logic in the PCM to avoid LSPI with the help of knock sensor to scale back timing which will affect engine performance and efficiency.

People like to use moly oil because: "Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI when used at high levels."

Low Speed Pre-ignition - Shedding Light on LSPI

And here is ILSAC GF-6 performance relative to GF-5 and API SN Plus performance:

671BD1A5-B37A-4377-92FA-F9994F2BE41E.png

I forgot to mention GF-6 oil offers better protection on timing chain which has been heavily criticized since we switched to much thiner oil for fuel efficiency purpose. No matter how you look at it, GF-6 oil is superior than older GF-5 oil.

All turbocharged, direct-injected (DI) gasoline engines are susceptible to LSPI. I’d imagine Mazda would program their logic in the PCM to avoid LSPI with the help of knock sensor to scale back timing which will affect engine performance and efficiency.

People like to use moly oil because: "Molybdenum compounds, for example, not only provide frictional benefits, but also have been shown to decrease LSPI when used at high levels."

Low Speed Pre-ignition - Shedding Light on LSPI

And here is ILSAC GF-6 performance relative to GF-5 and API SN Plus performance:

View attachment 296326

I forgot to mention GF-6 oil offers better protection on timing chain which has been heavily criticized since we switched to much thiner oil for fuel efficiency purpose. No matter how you look at it, GF-6 oil is superior than older GF-5 oil.
Okay, but if the CX-5 is programmed to always operated in a safe-zone for all the approved oils, there may be no benefit to using better than specified. It would only help if Mazda's algorithms could sense and adjust. I can see the benefit from an engineering perspective, for a prospective application, but am questioning the benefit for the end user of these particular vehicles.

Okay, but if the CX-5 is programmed to always operated in a safe-zone for all the approved oils, there may be no benefit to using better than specified. It would only help if Mazda's algorithms could sense and adjust. I can see the benefit from an engineering perspective, for a prospective application, but am questioning the benefit for the end user of these particular vehicles.
If the PCM keeps scaling back timing to prevent LSPI when the conditions meet, the performance and efficiency will be suffering. If the GF-6 oil can effectively reduce the LSPI, the timing retards would be significantly reduced due to the knock sensor detecting less knocks caused by LSPI. Yes, GF-6 oil definitely will benefit our SkyActiv-G engines which have direct-injection and / or turbo charger and LSPI is an inherent problem. More timing chain protection is another significant benefit too.

If you have been using Castrol, their oil already meets and exceeds the GF-6 standard according to them. They just have to update their packaging.

Do Castrol motor oils meet GF-6 standards?​

Yes, Castrol’s entire motor oil range meet and exceed the new ILSAC GF-6 standard.

When will the new GF-6 specification appear on packaging?​

The packaging change to the Castrol portfolio will be executed as a rolling transition. We expect that product with updated packaging will begin to appear on shelves by early summer, with the transition completing by fall.

FWIW: I just checked the Costco website and while it does not show the back label of their Kirkland fully synthetic 5-quart 5W-30 jugs, they DO show that back label on the fully synthetic 1-quart 5W-30 jugs and it says the oil meets GF-6A specifications. $29.99 for a two-pack of 5-quart jugs.

Actually, the Kirkland brand synthetic was on sale for $22.00 recently. That's a great deal for full synthetic and especially when you change your oil at every 5K miles like me.

FWIW: I just checked the Costco website and while it does not show the back label of their Kirkland fully synthetic 5-quart 5W-30 jugs, they DO show that back label on the fully synthetic 1-quart 5W-30 jugs and it says the oil meets GF-6A specifications. $29.99 for a two-pack of 5-quart jugs.

Here is the back of the 5-quart jugs (video from March 2020):

updated labeling looks like it is GF-6A:

kirkland282021.png

• 6% cleaner engine
View attachment 296274
I'm surprised they actually give a Noack value. most major brands won't say for 0w-20.
I switched to Amsoil signature series (Noack 8.5, also claims %100 protection against LSPI) a few days ago, I'm up to a quart and a half per 5500 miles with my PP. Hoping I get some improvement for oil mileage. Wish I'd have seen this thread a little earlier, I might have tried this oil instead.
Density @ 15°Cg/cm3ASTM D40520.8438
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°CcStASTM D44544.09
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°CcStASTM D4458.267
Viscosity Index-ASTM D2270165
HTHS Viscosity @ 150°CcPASTM D48832.64
CCS Viscosity @ -30°CcPASTM D52935,700
MRV TP-1 Viscosity @ -40°CcPASTM D468418,200
Noack Volatilitywt%ASTM D580011.6

I'm surprised they actually give a Noack value. most major brands won't say for 0w-20.
I switched to Amsoil signature series (Noack 8.5, also claims %100 protection against LSPI) a few days ago, I'm up to a quart and a half per 5500 miles with my PP. Hoping I get some improvement for oil mileage. Wish I'd have seen this thread a little earlier, I might have tried this oil instead.
Density @ 15°Cg/cm3ASTM D40520.8438
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°CcStASTM D44544.09
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°CcStASTM D4458.267
Viscosity Index-ASTM D2270165
HTHS Viscosity @ 150°CcPASTM D48832.64
CCS Viscosity @ -30°CcPASTM D52935,700
MRV TP-1 Viscosity @ -40°CcPASTM D468418,200
Noack Volatilitywt%ASTM D580011.6
Are these numbers you posted from Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil? 11.6 on Noack Volatility is still not as good as the 8.5 on Amsoil Signature Series.

“I'm up to a quart and a half per 5500 miles with my PP”?

Are you saying your 2.5L burns 1.5 quarts of oil per 5,500 miles with Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20? May be try some 5W-30 oil next time?

Are these numbers you posted from Idemitsu 0W-20 SP / GF-6 oil? 11.6 on Noack Volatility is still not as good as the 8.5 on Amsoil Signature Series.

“I'm up to a quart and a half per 5500 miles with my PP”?

Are you saying your 2.5L burns 1.5 quarts of oil per 5,500 miles with Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20? May be try some 5W-30 oil next time?
Got the numbers off the Idemitsu website. Can't go to 5w30, still under warranty.

Castrol 0w-20 bought at Walmart last week shows GF-6 on the packaging.

I used to obsess over motor oil. Got to be email buddies with a Valvoline engineer back in the 90's, I was so worried about using the "right" oil in my new Miata. Over time, I got less OCD, and took longer between change intervals, quit worrying about oil brand, and absolutely neglected the car for about a 3 year run when my twins were born.

I tore that engine down at 182k miles. EVERY part of oil-lubricated wear surface on that engine was still within build tolerances. Not wear tolerances, Build tolerances.

I don't worry about the perfect fluids any more. (But still can't bring myself to use house-brands. :D)

I noticed just lately that Idemitsu has dropped the Zepro line. As for Kirkland oil, it’s decent and blended by Warren Distribution who also blends Supertech. Most likely the same oil.

I have also read that Mazda dealers are going to Idemitsu exclusively for their synthetic oil changes. It used to be Castrol or whatever the dealership decided. My dealer told me they use Idemitsu for synthetic and another brand for Syn blend. They wouldn’t say who.

Back