Roof Rails

ZuluCX

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD+Tech / SoulRed+ParchmentWhite
As promised in the roof rail thread, here is a little how to install the roof rails (not that it is necessary since the instructions are pretty clear)

sorry for my english, french guy here. :)

1) First clean the car :) always more fun working on a clean car ;)

P1020033 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

2) take a flat screwdriver and put some tape on the tip

P1020034 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

3) insert the screwdriver between the front windshield and the tip of the rail (very easy, no real risk to scratch anything) and pry up, the rails will come off.

P1020035 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

4) as you can see, is is plastic with a metal backing, not what I expected, I thought the were all rubber.

P1020038 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

5) mark the three cuts on the rail 340, 501 and 1532mm, I put some tape on the rails before cutting.

P1020036 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

6) put back the rails pieces on the car leaving some space for the bolts brackets

P1020037 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020041 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020040 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020039 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

7) put the roof rails on top (easy to do, and thigh up the 4 x 10mm nuts)

P1020042 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020043 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

8) put the cap on, they just clip in

P1020044 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

9) do the other side!

P1020049 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020048 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

10) put your rack on!!! I am using 450 Thule feets with 60 inch load bars, 50 would be enough but as you can see I have a lot of stuff.... My IBIS Mojo MTB, Look road bike and 2 kayaks.

P1020050 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020055 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

P1020057 by ZuluCx, on Flickr

as you can see nothing complicated!

Last edited:
Hello,

Please, between #3 and #4, still missing the picture.
Thanks.
I'm French and writing from France :)

Bonjour,

S'il te plait, l'image entre 3 et 4 ne s'affiche pas.
Merci par avance de corriger.

@+ ;)

fixed now...let me know if you still have problems!

J'ai rpondu ton PM

au plasir! :)

Thank you for taking the time to do this. The pics look great. Our dealership is waiting for the rails to come in and I'll put a set on once they do. Thanks again!

Really ? they fit pretty well to me , are you sure about this ?

Thanks ZuluCX! Your instructions and pictures were very helpful. It's a pretty simple DIY job. The cut measurements are important but there is actually a pretty wide tolerance so don't worry that they have to be perfect. Plus or minus a couple of millimeters is likely OK.

I'm using the rack to transport kayaks and I wonder what you use as the front tie down point. My solution so far has been to insert the front towing hook and use that. I have a hitch on the back so that's not a problem.

Last edited:
Hi Schief,

I do the same as you, I use the front long tow hook, I have not found a better solution yet, it worked pretty well so far. I don't use any at the back.

Yikes Zulu, I should have checked this thread before creating a new one elsewhere. What is the maximum bar spread you get with your setup?
Thanks,
Kurt

I will measure it tonight,

my only complain is that the racks once on the rails are not level, there is a slight slope toward the rear. Nothing major, but i think the rear feet could be a bit taller to compendate for that.

Thank you for posting this. Mine came with the roof rails, but it was interesting to see the process for installing them. This is just my personal preference, but I think the car looks much better with the roof rails.

I do not have documentation - only the sworn word of my A1 mazda dealership, which looking back was probably nothing short of a lie because they forgot to order my rails. I have my "revised" roof rails and crossbars now and have no problems with them. I have been hauling my kayak and just strapping it down to the rails not the flimsy anchor points they recommend, so far no issues, but i do like the tow hook fastening point idea. Thanks.

Thank you so much for taking time to post this. I have skipped the roof rack when buying the car but now I think it looks so much better with it... Planning to order it on my first visit back to the dealer, will definitely use your how-to instructions!

WOW, don't know how I missed your post. It looks absolutely amazing! Will check if possible to get those in Mazda Vienna.

Cheers,
Miki

Nice setup there!! Man I wish these would come in black... :)

Have you noticed any wind noises with just the roof rails installed (no rack)?

with just the roof rails I did not noticed any more wind noise, we all have different level of tolerance, but I think the tires make more noise than the rails if there is any. With the cross bars, yes you can hear the noise.

I thought about painting mines black with Plasti Dip....maybe next summer.

Zulu, what did you use to cut the plastic/metal pieces? I ordered the rails and they're on the way. Trying to figure out what tools I will need?

Back