roof rack problem

hello everyone,

im new to this forum, and a new owner of a mazda cx 9 touring.

the cx 9 that i bought came with a roofrack and crossbars, and i notice that whenever i drive between 35-70mph i hear a very audible whirling sound coming from the area of the roof rack. sounds like the whistling wind sound when you drive on windy day, even when it is not windy at all.

i did notice that the cover at the fron end of the rack on the passenger side has a broken tab, but after i secured it, the sound is still there... wondering if it is coming from the cross bars.

what do you guys thing.

thanks

martin

hello everyone,

im new to this forum, and a new owner of a mazda cx 9 touring.

the cx 9 that i bought came with a roofrack and crossbars, and i notice that whenever i drive between 35-70mph i hear a very audible whirling sound coming from the area of the roof rack. sounds like the whistling wind sound when you drive on windy day, even when it is not windy at all.

i did notice that the cover at the fron end of the rack on the passenger side has a broken tab, but after i secured it, the sound is still there... wondering if it is coming from the cross bars.

what do you guys thing.

thanks

martin

I thing you should take the cross bars off and try it again............

Agreed. Try it with just the rails.

We have never put the factory crossbars on since I added a Mont Blanc Aero set, but with just the rails, no noise. In fact, we only got any noise after I put on our kayak saddles and it's still not that bad.

so i finally brought the car to the dealership for them to take a look and listen to the sound... and the technician said " never heard that from a roof rack before", so they finally took off the cross bars, and noise was gone.

i told them your suggestions... but they put like 5 miles on my car because they kept playing with the position of the cross bars, and after like 4 tries, finally just took it off, which actually took less than 2 mins to do.

thanks guys for your replies

op, which snowboarding racks fit on the OEM cross bars?? i was thinkin the thule 725 flat top

Mazda part number B30P-51-9K1B $125.00 LIST $100.00 WHOLESALE
It's made for the CX-9 with factory crossbars. Holds 4 pairs of skis, or 2 snowboards. Manufactured by Yakima exclusively for Mazda.

Here's a link if you want to check it out. http://tinyurl.com/324nmv

-Justin

I have had the whistling sound on my thule cross bars. I take them off when not using them. I have heard that the instructions for the Mazada OEM crossbars states that when not in use, move both cross bars to the back of the vehicle. I guess the roof slant reduced wind resistance.

I have had the whistling sound on my thule cross bars. I take them off when not using them. I have heard that the instructions for the Mazada OEM crossbars states that when not in use, move both cross bars to the back of the vehicle. I guess the roof slant reduced wind resistance.

That is correct

You may also consider using a deflector... Yakima has a small deflector they use on the (subaru factory/accessory) gt bike attatchements just for wind noises.

That was my post... I will try to scan the cross bar instructions if I think of it. But, it clearly states to move both bars as far back as possible when not in use. This is where I keep mine and I have no problem with the sunroof open or closed.

-- Eric

I have had several cars with racks and thule bike racks, and that sound is normal unless you buy a wind deflector.

Back