Riser for U-haul Trailer?

:
Canada
:
2016 CX-9 GS-L
Hi, I'm planning on towing a U-haul 4x8 or 5x8 trailer.

What I've researched so far is CX9 hitches are about 13 inches off the ground (I ordered the Curt one), then the U-haul trailers are about 18 inches.

So I will need a 5-inch ball riser, right?

How critical is it to reach the trailer height? Say, if I can only find a 4-inch riser.

Also anyone who's done this, please do share your experiences.

I see @Pele2048 has done it with much bigger trailers.

Thanks!

wXMgZTd.jpg

Correct. I flipped a 3 inch drop hitch upside down for 2.5 inches of rise. (It was what was available at the auto parts store.)

Even a place like Walmart has many choices of ball mounts, and U-Haul has them as well. You can find the rise/drop that works for your needs. I think the U-Haul trailers need a 2" diameter ball, but check that. To get the ball screwed tightly put the ball mount into the receiver turned 90° so the ball is to the right and the nut to the left. You can now stand on the wrench (on the nut) and get the nut really tight. Or buy the ball at U-Haul, you'll get the right size, and have them bolt it on.

The trailer set an inch or so lower in front is better than high. Level to an inch down works fine. Be sure you're measuring the same thing. Measuring from the bottom of the receiver 2" square hole to the bottom of the trailer hitch coupler with the trailer leveled is a good way to measure.

Terminology matters. No item is a "hitch." The hitch receiver bolts to the car. The ball mount slides into the receiver and mounts the towing ball. The ball mount can be used either for a drop or a rise. The trailer has a hitch coupler.

Measure your vehicle and get the appropriate ballmount for the height and weight. You want the trailer level. If not, you will have too much or too little tongue weight, which effects drivability. You can change the tongue weight by the location of the junk in/on the trailer.

Happy towing!

57FBB672-26A0-40BA-AD3E-BF95C3270E55.jpeg

'You can change the tongue weight by the location of the junk in/on the trailer."
Be careful. You want at least 10% of the total trailer weight carried on the hitch assembly. A tail-heavy trailer is unsafe. It will sway, and it may crash the car and trailer.

'You can change the tongue weight by the location of the junk in/on the trailer."
Be careful. You want at least 10% of the total trailer weight carried on the hitch assembly. A tail-heavy trailer is unsafe. It will sway, and it may crash the car and trailer.
Of course.

I DID IT! 😭 But I certainly hate backing up....

Capture2.JPG

Ended up using a Reese 4-inch riser on the U-Haul 5x8ft trailer

Fully loaded trailer and CX-9, it handled really well through the mountains. Gassed up on premium of course.

I stayed around the prescribed 55mph (80-90 km/h) but could easily do faster. Brakes are another factor; felt adequate but I was conscious of not stressing mine.

Capture.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Back