Rim Offset, rubbing

SilverSpd

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
I got adr msport wheels with a 48 mm offset on my 03.5 speed and they sometimes rub if I hit a bump and more often with passengers. What wheel sizes have people got on their speeds without rubbing? Also my friend suggested stiffer springs in the rear to stop the rubbing but im not sure if I want to mess with the killer handling on my speed. Any suggestions?

what size tires are you running?? are you lowered?? you should have no probs with that high of an offset, unless you are running big tires.

Stock

slamdp5 said:
what size tires are you running?? are you lowered?? you should have no probs with that high of an offset, unless you are running big tires.

Huh, the rims are 17's and the tires are stock tires from the factory, But I have no problems with the stock rims which I use for my winter tires. Stock height, no lowering kit. What do you think?

What size is on an msp?? 215/45? Think if you were running 205/40s' you would not rub and be fine. You are sure the wheels are +48?? I am running +45 19s and lowered 2.25" and don't rub. You got me baffled!!(huh)

slamdp5 said:
What size is on an msp?? 215/45? Think if you were running 205/40s' you would not rub and be fine. You are sure the wheels are +48?? I am running +45 19s and lowered 2.25" and don't rub. You got me baffled!!(huh)

What size tires are you running? I was hoping not to have to go to thinner tires. They better be 48's that is what they said when i had them put on the car! I had them special ordered from town fair tire(never again will I go there) I gotta do something, can't ride 4 people in the car without worrying that i will rub over every bump. What about stiffer springs, different wheels, the car sits really low when I put 2 people in the back

I am running 215/35/19s but if i was running 17s I would use a 205/40. I just prefer a smaller sidewall on my wheels. One way to check offset is to look on the inside of the wheel. Somewhere on one of the spokes it might have an ET #. It should say ET48 Other than that I think you just have too big of tires. As far as a stiffer spring, mazdaspeed springs are pretty stiff and only have a slight drop. Can you get a side pic, like standing beside the fender looking down the car?? At least that would give an idea of how they are sitting.

Attachments

• PDR_0008.JPG
    PDR_0008.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 217
slamdp5 said:
I am running 215/35/19s but if i was running 17s I would use a 205/40. I just prefer a smaller sidewall on my wheels. One way to check offset is to look on the inside of the wheel. Somewhere on one of the spokes it might have an ET #. It should say ET48 Other than that I think you just have too big of tires. As far as a stiffer spring, mazdaspeed springs are pretty stiff and only have a slight drop. Can you get a side pic, like standing beside the fender looking down the car?? At least that would give an idea of how they are sitting.

thanks for your help, I will try to locate a camera and get a pic

the sedans have up to 3mm more clearance than the protege5, so i'm guessing someone lied to you and you're now running with +40 offsets. there's no way +48 will rub with 215's, especially on a sedan. it mght be 17x8... and in which case, you're skrewed.

tonkabui said:
the sedans have up to 3mm more clearance than the protege5, so i'm guessing someone lied to you and you're now running with +40 offsets. there's no way +48 will rub with 215's, especially on a sedan. it mght be 17x8... and in which case, you're skrewed.

The wheels are deffinately 17x7. They dont make the wheel I got in 17x7.5 or 17x8. I am gonna take the wheels off this weekend to seeif they lied to me and sold me the wrong offset. That is what I am beggining to think by all the responses that i've been getting. They messed up like 3 times already.

My 18x8's fit fine on my P5. Just trim your fenders! I didn't really need mine rolled, I did it for safety, in a Sedan you can't be hitting by much. Just break out the grinder and shave a hair off the rears.

take off one of the rims and look at the back on one of the spokes. it should say the size and offset of the wheel.

03P5 said:
My 18x8's fit fine on my P5. Just trim your fenders! I didn't really need mine rolled, I did it for safety, in a Sedan you can't be hitting by much. Just break out the grinder and shave a hair off the rears.

What size offset you running?

vindication said:
take off one of the rims and look at the back on one of the spokes. it should say the size and offset of the wheel.

I'm gonna have to do it this weekend

Back