Ride quality. 19" vs 17"

Specifically CX-5 OEM 17" versus 19", the impact on ride quality is not noticeable. I've driven both versions. And the major car magazines road testers came to same conclusion. Also the standard 19" tires by Toyo are better tires with longer wear and less road noise (they do cost more too).

Thanks. My wife and I will go test drive a GT tomorrow. The back up camera/park sensor is a separate option and they are not included in the tech pkg, correct?

I concur- and it was one of my top reasons (before driving it) not to go all in on a GT. Once I drove it I was amazed to the point I wondered if they didn't tweak the suspension tuning to compensate- or the Toyos just do a good job and the Geolanders not so much. OP: are you in the market for the 19" OE setup? I'm considering a wider 18 or 19" aftermarket package and selling my 5k mile OE. Let me know if interested- my 17" winter shoes go on tomorrow.

Backup cam is std on touring level so gt as well- tech adds xenons nav dimming homelink mirror smart key and smart city brake (well worth it). Parking sensors is a port/dlr installed extra.

Is there really a need for parking sensors when you have a backup cam?

IMHO, no need. The backup camera has yellow and red grid lines on screen, in my experience they are helpful for backing into tight situations.

. My wife is used to having sensors front and back. But she's never had the back up cam. Hmm.
After 5 months of ownership I am still vague about how close my front end is to an object. I use a reference on the side wall when I park in the garage.

Also the standard 19" tires by Toyo are better tires with longer wear and less road noise (they do cost more too).
So you've mentioned this several times. I'm not going to argue the issue either way, but suffice it to say I am satisfied with my Yokahamas and, at 12k miles, they show little wear. So my question is how did you reach the conclusion that the Toyos wear longer? Surely you're not basing this on the 20 point difference in UTQG from one to the other (which means virtually nothing as this rating in only relevant to other tires within a given manufacturer's product offering). BTW, they cost more because they're 19" vs 17" and require a more costly manufacturing process.

I am also very intrigued that the wheel/tire weight difference makes so little difference in MPG.

So you've mentioned this several times. I'm not going to argue the issue either way, but suffice it to say I am satisfied with my Yokahamas and, at 12k miles, they show little wear. So my question is how did you reach the conclusion that the Toyos wear longer? Surely you're not basing this on the 20 point difference in UTQG from one to the other (which means virtually nothing as this rating in only relevant to other tires within a given manufacturer's product offering). BTW, they cost more because they're 19" vs 17" and require a more costly manufacturing process.

. Yes, as you mentioned the UTOG is worthless when comparing 2 different manufacturers tires (I didn't bring it up, you did).

. Since we don't work for Toyo and and know exactly why they cost more your cost analysis is not valid, but purchase price difference is known.

. I brought it up several times for good reasons (to answer your questions):

1. Noise complaints are extremely rare on the Toyo 19's, far more common on the OEM 17" tires. I know from experience with several premium cars riding on better tires that these Toyo tires are competitive.

2. Other users have reported similar results with Toyo 19's - specifically 23.5K miles and 2/3 tread life remaining.

. My wife is used to having sensors front and back. But she's never had the back up cam. Hmm.
After 5 months of ownership I am still vague about how close my front end is to an object. I use a reference on the side wall when I park in the garage.

When I need to park pulling in it's normally in a parkaid, etc. Soon as the front lights seem to turn from one big source into separating into the individual lights, you're close enough ;)

What's the 17/19 OE weight diff? Few pounds or so? I highly doubt that will register any measurable mpg loss particularly if most of your driving is highway where I would think more rotational mass could actually help in theory as would a shorter/stiffer sidewall. Tread design and compound are much bigger factors for fuel economy IMO.

Last edited:
I am also very intrigued that the wheel/tire weight difference makes so little difference in MPG.

Yes, but we still don't have clarity or facts as to exactly what that wheel/tire weight difference is.... (17" to 19" OEMs), but most likely it isn't that big, therefore the minimal impact on gas mileage and/or ride quality and handling.

17" oem weigh 50lbs each. My scale said 51 lbs but two other members confirmed they weigh 50 lbs.
someone needs to weigh a 19" oem

I'll post it here over the weekend when my OE 19s rest up for spring...A guy posted ~58 in the WT section. I am happy with the Toyos, the ride/handling is slightly better than I recall when test driving the touring but I think at least one time the tires were left (as I've so often found) at shipping pressure and I checked afterwards because I was shocked at how stiffly it rode and yup- mid 40s which makes a huge difference and is why I always check bring a gauge and ask to adjust if they're way over now. Sometimes I'm amazed at how lazy most dealers can be.

Last edited:
I weighted the 19 OEM rims and they're weight at 28.89lbs each or 13kg. This is without tires. Curious how much with tires.

Haven't driven the cx-5 on 17's, but similar vehicles with 17" tires and a higher profile usually ride a little softer, but have more road noise. The extra rubber absorbs bumps, but transmits vibration.

I like the 19's handling. It's firm, precise and no drone from the road. Rare in a CUV.

7lbs of difference... But, I guess, the less rolling resistance of lower profile makes up for it.

Back