Ride Quality - 17 vs 19 vs 20 - Feedback

I don't know if I totally agree with this. Wouldn't the tires be carrying their weight in roughly the same distance from the axel since the goal is to not change overall diameter? The 15 tires tread is just as far from the center as the 19" tires if the overall diameter remains the same, and it should.

The treads would be the same distance from the axle but the beads would be further from the axle. The overall effect, assuming the tires had about the same weight, is the larger one carries it's weight further from the axle. However, this difference is minimal compared to the larger rims carrying a very significant portion of their weight further from the axle.

I'd like to see the results with that test throwing in a very lightweight wheel in the mix with a larger size like the 18". It would answer how much of a difference wheel weights matter. I'd think a 17lb 18" wheel would yield much different results then the heavier wheels they used

Yes, going with the lightest 18" wheel and the heaviest 17" wheel, the lighter 18" wheel may very well have less rotational inertia (aka 'moment of inertia'). However, applying that same lightweight wheel technology to a 17" rim would provide even greater benefit (and at a considerably lower cost).

Good enough but the tire you choose will have a much bigger impact than the exact size of that tire.

Not sure I agree with that, but it's a moot point if what I'm chasing is the best combination of everything (including tires).

(headshake Ok, got any proof? Please provide me some numbers showing the relative performance gains. Numbers not from theory but from real world tests...

Do you even remember what you were arguing? You're saying that choice of tire has less impact than the specific size of tire - that is that, say, a summer-only performance tire with a small contact patch won't have better grip than an all-season tire in a larger size with a much larger contact patch. Granted, that's an extreme example, but it's the crux of saying that the particular tire isn't of consequence.

And no, I don't have any 'proof', because I don't personally have the resources to conduct instrumented tire testing at home, and nobody who actually tests tires would bother with comparing tires of different sizes AND different models - they'd just take it as common sense that trends according to size hold no matter which tire is in question, and that tire-model-to-tire-model variations are what's of interest.

You're saying that choice of tire has less impact than the specific size of tire - that is that, say, a summer-only performance tire with a small contact patch won't have better grip than an all-season tire in a larger size with a much larger contact patch. Granted, that's an extreme example, but it's the crux of saying that the particular tire isn't of consequence.

I never said the tire isn't of consequence, never said that at all. What I did say was that I'm not 100% sure the tire type is more important than the size. There are scenarios where size may matter much more than type.

For example:Two equal cars decide to go off-roading. Car A has 17" off-road tires fitted and has 8.5" of ground clearance. Car B has 22" off-road tires fitted and 11" of ground clearance. Same make/brand of tire on both, so they are of equal quality. Both attempt to go down a rocky trail with some 10" boulders. All else being equal, Car B has a much better chance of making the trip unscathed. Not because of the type of tire, but because of the size of tire.

And no, I don't have any 'proof', because I don't personally have the resources to conduct instrumented tire testing at home, and nobody who actually tests tires would bother with comparing tires of different sizes AND different models - they'd just take it as common sense that trends according to size hold no matter which tire is in question, and that tire-model-to-tire-model variations are what's of interest.

If you have no proof, and cannot point to any proof, then how can you say this:
You should agree with it, because it's absolutely true.

How can something be absolutely true if you have zero proof? You didn't say it may be true, or you believe it to be true, but the truth of it was absolute. Without solid evidence, I call (bs)

Last edited:
Wow... way to pull out an argument that has absolutely no bearing on street performance.

First you start in with questioning the effect of different tires on performance versus the size of said tires, then you jump to an offroad scenario involving two completely different vehicles.

Strawman much?

Addendum:

Are you really talking about gaining 2.5" of ground clearance with tires? I'm having trouble understanding what you mean when you cite 17" and 22" tires - are you talking about the wheel diameter, and assuming that the tire section will stay the same to get the added height? Or are you pulling unrealistic numbers out of thin air? Either way, I'd like to point out that the CX-5 is not a Jeep, and it wouldn't react well to changing rolling diameter by five inches.

Last edited:
Wow... way to pull out an argument that has absolutely no bearing on street performance.
I was unaware of this definition? Where in this thread did you see me say that "Street performance" had anything to do with my comments? Hint: you didn't.

First you start in with questioning the effect of different tires on performance versus the size of said tires, then you jump to an offroad scenario involving two completely different vehicles.
I didn't start with questioning anything. I simply made a statement about my belief (I do have a right to my beliefs - right or wrong), to someone else...that had nothing to do with you. You chose to jump in with "what I should believe" - based on some absolute truth that you cannot prove in any way, shape or form. How about you simply support your argument with fact? If it's so absolute, why are you unable to back up your thoughts? Or am I simply supposed to assume that since you are "on the interwebz" that you know exactly what you talk about?

Are you really talking about gaining 2.5" of ground clearance with tires? I'm having trouble understanding what you mean when you cite 17" and 22" tires - are you talking about the wheel diameter, and assuming that the tire section will stay the same to get the added height? Or are you pulling unrealistic numbers out of thin air?

The above was a colloquial example of how tire size may make a difference in performance, hopefully you can understand that. Yes, the 17" and 22" is referring to tire diameter. It was intended to show that there are no absolutes when defining what may or may not provide the "best" performance gain. There's always another scenario out there. As far as tire sizes, there are many...many production tire sizes much larger than 22" (35"+) available for street trucks if you are so inclined.

So in other words you just want to blather, regardless of whether your contribution has any bearing on the conversation at hand.

Got it. Good to know.

Where in this thread did you see me say that "Street performance" had anything to do with my comments? Hint: you didn't.

Is that a real question?

Are you on drugs?

Maybe we got the idea you were talking about street performance when you wrote the following:

I'm not interested in only max acceleration numbers, but maximum performance overall.

Larger tires yield better braking (to a point), and better road holding (again to a point before suspension modifications are required), combine that with very light weight wheels and tires. That overall performance package should be a very good one compared to stock. Finding the threshold where the increased size & reduced weight yield the best package (acceleration/braking/cornering) would interest me greatly.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother at all.

Because when you wrote "Larger tires yield better braking (to a point), and better road holding" well, I guess it should be obvious you were talking about off-road capability (uhm)

Last edited:
so apparently maximum performance can only be obtained on the street? I was unaware of that.

*maximum street performance
*maximum off-road performance
*maximum track performance
humm...

multiple scenarios where tire type may or may not trump tire size =
Not sure I agree with that, but it's a moot point if what I'm chasing is the best combination of everything (including tires).

It's a CX-5, and the discussion started with the topic of ride quality. You only tangentially mentioned the possibility of suspension modifications, so nobody had any reason to think you were talking seriously about autocross. If you really want to talk about off-roading, there are plenty of Jeep fora on the web where you can talk mud and rocks to your heart's content, but the CX-5 is not built for serious off-roading.

Do you have this much problem with sending and receiving contextual clues in real life?

Maybe he thinks I'm a Sith Lord... 'cause, you know, only the Sith speak in absolutes.

Picked up some nice OEM Speed 3 wheels. 18 x 7.5

Excellent condition, only $150 for all four.

Thinking of powdercoating these Anthracite or Graphite ( not black )

Whatcha think? Too heavy a wheel?

Speed%203%20wheel-M.jpg

Back