Retailers asking for personal information at checkouts

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
I went to my nearest Mazda dealer last week to buy a couple of oil filters, and the parts guy wanted my name and phone number. I said, why? He said something about needing it to write an invoice. I said no, I don't want to give you my phone number. It's personal information I'd rather not give out. I said all I wanted was two filters, and I pay you for them. Simple transaction. He still insisted on my name and phone number. I said no, and walked out.
Today I went to another dealer further away, and asked for two filters. He said no problem. Brought them out, asked politely how I was going to pay for them, and I said Mastercard. Ok sir, no problem. Got my filters, paid for them and said thankyou. Never asked for any personal information. Night and day.
Is this something you guys ever encounter?
My wife for years has been more than friendly giving out our names, phone numbers and e-mails to anyone that asks, and it drives me crazy. I keep telling her not to do that. Our e-mail is practically useless now. We get so much junk emails from different retailers, Hotels, on line sellers etc., that it's practically useless. I try to unsubscribe, but they just keep coming back. I know our e-mail address gets sold from one business to another, so stopping the garbage is probably impossible.
The marketing calls on our phone is also annoying. My wife is getting fed up with the calls, and I politely pointed out to her that we get these calls because YOU keep giving out our number. That went over well.......not.
The other thing she has done over the years is sign up for rewards cards with just about every store she visits. Again, she just can't say no. Her purse is full of all these useless reward cards. I'm trying to cancel them and take some kind of control, but it's difficult.
Thoughts?

If anyone I don't want to have my number, askes for it, I give them fake one and call it a day. No need to make a big deal about it.

Yes, this is something I encounter all the time. Generally when I refuse to give my information, they just move on with the transaction. Strange that this guy would not sell you anything without getting your info first.

Yes, this is something I encounter all the time. Generally when I refuse to give my information, they just move on with the transaction. Strange that this guy would not sell you anything without getting your info first.
I'm guessing he was just following orders. He looked like a rookie parts counter guy. Looked shocked when I turned and walked away.
If anyone I don't want to have my number, askes for it, I give them fake one and call it a day. No need to make a big deal about it.
I didn't make a big deal of it. I just went elsewhere.
The reason for posting was more out of curiosity to see if others encounter the same type of behaviour, and how they handle it.
99% of the time when I refuse to give personal information to a cashier, they are fine with it, and proceed to process the transaction. In this particular case, the parts guy looked like a deer caught in the headlights when I said no to giving him my phone number.

Back