Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

I don't think USB size really matters, more to do with how much files you have and if the USB is good in terms of performance. Probably won't have difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 as our car is most likely 2.0 only... but 3.0 USB might have better performance still when compared to 2.0 flash drives.

That first bit isn't true. Mazda were quite specific about the USB drive size limitation, and from an IT perspective the host system (in this case the Mazda media system) always knows what size of drive has been plugged in irrespective of the amount of songs on it. This is because the USB drive informs the system what capacity it is before the files begin to be read. I would therefore stick to an 8GB drive, and avoid any potential issues, because ultimately in my experience the larger drives eventually kill the module. Also 8GB drives are dirt cheap, so why bother taking the risk?

In terms of USB2.0 vs USB3.0, the system itself is USB2.0, but since drives are backwardly compatible a USB3.0 drive (which I use) will always ensure that you are getting the maximum possible performance out of their USB2.0 interface.

Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 CX-5 Sport who didn't do my homework on the audio. Is there anyway to connect an ipod classic so that you can just control it with the Ipod wheel and still be charged? Is there another aux input or something else you can use? If not I think I'm going to spend the $300 at Crutchfield for a Pioneer AVH-170DVD which they say will allow that and also give me steering wheel access and the ability to use a back up camera.

Hello, I am a new owner of a 2014 CX-5 Sport who didn't do my homework on the audio. Is there anyway to connect an ipod classic so that you can just control it with the Ipod wheel and still be charged? Is there another aux input or something else you can use? If not I think I'm going to spend the $300 at Crutchfield for a Pioneer AVH-170DVD which they say will allow that and also give me steering wheel access and the ability to use a back up camera.

If you wanted to control with wheel you could probably connect with USB for power and AUX for music.

Possibly if you had the AUX port selected on the head unit. On my unit if I run on BT versus Pandora I can then control Pandora from the phone. While on Pandora the phone gets a black screen saying Pandora accessory or something like that. You can exit out but continues to run in the background.

While on Pandora the phone gets a black screen saying Pandora accessory or something like that. You can exit out but continues to run in the background.

Does it look something like this?
c580ba93e99963501e60f87f493198c2.jpg

Possibly if you had the AUX port selected on the head unit. On my unit if I run on BT versus Pandora I can then control Pandora from the phone. While on Pandora the phone gets a black screen saying Pandora accessory or something like that. You can exit out but continues to run in the background.

Turns out you can't charge using the USB port while connected with the aux jack. The main screen still thinks you are connected via USB. However I have found the answer: I'm using the aux jack to the iPod and plugging in a charger into the cigarette lighter and charging it through that. All my controls are on the iPod which is what I prefer. I still can control volume from the steering wheel.

My only concern is if the cigarette lighter charger is still drawing power and if so is it enough to worry about. There is a light on the charger that is still on even when I turn off the engine. Does anyone know if that power draw is anything to worry about? For now I'm going to unplug it when I park with for the night.

ive got a question, i am trying to get my usb to playback from the same point i left it when i turn off my car but for some reason it doesnt work, i live in canada vancouver, ive heard tht the USA does this but not sure about canada, if any one has gotten this problem fixed please let me know, thanks

ive got a question, i am trying to get my usb to playback from the same point i left it when i turn off my car but for some reason it doesnt work, i live in canada vancouver, ive heard tht the USA does this but not sure about canada, if any one has gotten this problem fixed please let me know, thanks

TSB available to fix the issue. contact your dealer. its a Bluetooth module replacement. I got mine swapped and no complaints now.

No complaints? I have read that others who had the fix still say it takes forever to load their iPods and that yes it resumes playback where you left off but doesn't remember what playlist you are on. Doesn't sound acceptable to me. Is your situation different somehow?

Turns out you can't charge using the USB port while connected with the aux jack. The main screen still thinks you are connected via USB. However I have found the answer: I'm using the aux jack to the iPod and plugging in a charger into the cigarette lighter and charging it through that. All my controls are on the iPod which is what I prefer. I still can control volume from the steering wheel.

My only concern is if the cigarette lighter charger is still drawing power and if so is it enough to worry about. There is a light on the charger that is still on even when I turn off the engine. Does anyone know if that power draw is anything to worry about? For now I'm going to unplug it when I park with for the night.

I had a charger plugged into my old Saturn all the time. It also maintained powerwith the engine off. I never had issues with my battery being drained, even after letting the car sit for a week without starting. The draw of an indication LED is less than 20mA at 5V, while a typical car battery is around 45 amp/hours @ 12V, which means it likely losses more charge to the other components that remain powered with the car off than to the LED.

No complaints? I have read that others who had the fix still say it takes forever to load their iPods and that yes it resumes playback where you left off but doesn't remember what playlist you are on. Doesn't sound acceptable to me. Is your situation different somehow?

song not resuming was one annoying thing for me and its fixed now. I am happy. it loads faster too. I repeat i have no complaints,as I have the option of trading my CX5 for a crap car with flawless audio system or enjoy driving my solid CX5 with minor entertainment system flaws.

PS: totally understand your feelings. I was just stating my opinion. I am sure there is a few members who has no complaints about the entertainment system after the update..!!

song not resuming was one annoying thing for me and its fixed now. I am happy. it loads faster too. I repeat i have no complaints,as I have the option of trading my CX5 for a crap car with flawless audio system or enjoy driving my solid CX5 with minor entertainment system flaws.

PS: totally understand your feelings. I was just stating my opinion. I am sure there is a few members who has no complaints about the entertainment system after the update..!!

That's very encouraging. Maybe I'll take it in after all.

Last edited:
I had a charger plugged into my old Saturn all the time. It also maintained powerwith the engine off. I never had issues with my battery being drained, even after letting the car sit for a week without starting. The draw of an indication LED is less than 20mA at 5V, while a typical car battery is around 45 amp/hours @ 12V, which means it likely losses more charge to the other components that remain powered with the car off than to the LED.

Turns out the cigarette lighter on the front turns off when you turn the ignition off. Go figure. I think this solves my problem. I have my iPod charging off the front cigarette lighter outlet and have it connected to the speaker system using the aux jack. I bought a SendStation line out so that I can run the aux jack and USB from the bottom and not use the headphone jack--this provides better quality. Now I can use the iPod click wheel which is ten time faster than any infotainment system. I can still use the steering wheel controls for the volume.

Interesting... my two front 12V connections go off with ignition. Not sure on power draw but even low I imagine if would have some impact after a few days.

EDIT: I hadn't refreshed screen and now see your second message.

which dealership did you contact to get this done ? if the problem is fixed please post the TSB.

TSB # 09-008/15 part no for bluetooth module is GHP9-66-DH0Z. My dealer is Regina mazda. I called mazda handsfree first and they contacted regina mazda with a reference number. Dealer then swapped the module for me.

TSB # 09-008/15 part no for bluetooth module is GHP9-66-DH0Z. My dealer is Regina mazda. I called mazda handsfree first and they contacted regina mazda with a reference number. Dealer then swapped the module for me.

i see , do you have any paper proof that mazda (canada) did this swap for you ? because i live in vancouver and when i call mazda they keep telling me they dont do this swap in canada. which i think is just b.s... if you do have any proof that would be great i would appreciate it a lot, i really want to get this problem fixed. thanks a head !

Which outlet - the front console or the storage bin? On our 2015, the forward socket switches off with the ignition and the one in the bin remains on. (We've had a USB charger plugged into the latter one since we bought the car with no noticeable issues.)

Back