Resuming Playback with 2014 CX-5 GT Tech Stereo and other issues

Just wanted to say that I had the update and it is working for me as well. I started this thread over two years ago when I took delivery of my 2014 GT in Jan. of 2013 - it took a long time for Mazda to implement the fix. I had actually been enjoying resuming USB with the AUDIO2 power modification for a several weeks now, but this is better.
This thread was very helpful. It was a long wait and i can tell you i was paying attention to this thread almost everyday for last 2 year hoping to read about a fix. i even thought it was kind of an OCD.

Just wanted to say that I had the update and it is working for me as well. I started this thread over two years ago when I took delivery of my 2014 GT in Jan. of 2013 - it took a long time for Mazda to implement the fix. I had actually been enjoying resuming USB with the AUDIO2 power modification for a several weeks now, but this is better.

Thank you for starting this thread -- my only source of hope and support (knowing I wasn't alone) in the past year! Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I'm new, but have been following this thread. Just wondering if anyone who has had the update installed would mind answering a question. I have talked to my dealership and can get the update, but it's obvious they don't really know much in the way of details. I find the info they sent me about it a little confusing on what will actually be fixed. Soooo, my question is about the playback issue, will it resume playback from where you left off when listing to a playlist on an ipod connected to the usb? I ask because what the dealer gave me says that it won't, Any other category it will but not a playlist. I don't get why. Anyone have first hand experience?

It won't resume the playlist. It resume last song played, and continues alphabetic with next song.
It is the same with album folders.
There are not any memory that resumes playlist and folders. There are not a negotiation between HU and IPod, where IPod where playing.
To keep it in album folders I have found out, that when resumed song plays and IPod read are done, twice press on shuffle button keeps the album folder.
It is still a large improvement over the first Bluetooth/USB module.

It won't resume the playlist. It resume last song played, and continues alphabetic with next song.

With the iOS 8.2 shuffle works with my iPhone 6 usb connection. I am assuming after the module upgrade shuffle still works?

With the iOS 8.2 shuffle works with my iPhone 6 usb connection. I am assuming after the module upgrade shuffle still works?

The new module not only fixes the resumed playback issue in my case, but provides a better shuffle function (with more randomized song selections).

I just hope there is a way to remove the 30s wait showing "Preparing for connection. Please wait..." after every engine start, even before the "Reading USB" message. I suppose the module is scanning for BT devices, even though I don't have any. Only if there's a way to disable BT altogether...

The new module not only fixes the resumed playback issue in my case, but provides a better shuffle function (with more randomized song selections).

I just hope there is a way to remove the 30s wait showing "Preparing for connection. Please wait..." after every engine start, even before the "Reading USB" message. I suppose the module is scanning for BT devices, even though I don't have any. Only if there's a way to disable BT altogether...

Does the update apply to the 2015?

I really like my CX-5...except the media interface/functionality. It sucks. Sadly, the 2016 came out with the new Infotainment system months after I bought mine.

The fact that after getting gas or whatever I have to repick my playlist, etc. from USB audio is ridiculous.

My iPod classic, which according to the manual should work, doesn't work.

The way the steering wheel buttons flip through radio stations only on that page is ridiculous too!

Yes it does. According to the TSB the problem affects 2013-2015 models. I'm in the same boat as you, stuck with 15!

I am not trying to be lazy, but 54 pages of posts is a lot!

Is this warranty change or what is the cost?

What exactly does it fix? Just USB resume?

Thanks

P.S. I don't suppose it includes the new knobs by the armrest like the 2016. lol

I am not trying to be lazy, but 54 pages of posts is a lot!

Is this warranty change or what is the cost?

What exactly does it fix? Just USB resume?

Thanks

P.S. I don't suppose it includes the new knobs by the armrest like the 2016. lol

Details here:
http://danlevy.photography/tsb.pdf

The biggest deal to me is that it brings back a missing feature that even a portable discman 20+ years ago can handle (resume last track).

Hi All,

Just to provide what I hope is a light-bulb moment update to you on this CX-5 USB issue, I can confirm that here in the UK we've eventually made a major breakthrough in resolving it. I've now had my Bluetooth/USB module replaced 4 times under warranty (the latest just over a month ago) and finally have something that appears to work the way it should. There are 2 fairly important pieces to this jigsaw though, and one of which only seemed to be discovered as a result of our persistence, rather than by any explicit judgement call by Mazda.

Happy Days. :)

The 1st part is to get your Bluetooth/USB module updated to the latest version that Mazda have available. This module DOES resolve the USB resume issue and simply picks up where it left off every time. The random/shuffle feature also works properly on this module.

The 2nd and probably most critical piece of information though is this... the CX-5 USB system (pre MZD Connect) is only designed to handle a maximum thumb drive size of 8GB!! Mazda Technical eventually admitted this undocumented info to me at the tail end of my 2 month long discussion with them after my last module failure. My subsequent conversation and argument with Mazda UK is that nowhere in any of the vehicle media system user documentation does it specify there is a limitation on the USB drive size, and given that for over 10 months they've had the information regarding the fact that I'd been using a 16GB stick, their eventual admission has come remarkably late in the day.

The good news is that I have now had my latest replacement module working with an 8GB stick containing circa 800 tracks for a month, and can say that it appears stable, resumes correctly on the last song playing when the car was switched off, begins playback within 30 seconds of switch on and reliably shuffles all the tracks on the stick. So, for clarity's sake, 8GB or less appears to work perfectly fine, but with USB drives of greater than 8GB, the replacement modules will work initially, but slowly, surely and inevitably they will begin to exhibit problems until eventually they give up and die. Personally I would also recommend using a USB3.0 stick rather than a USB2.0 version, simply because the playback resumption and track recognition speed appears to be quicker.

Had the module fitted myself.what seems to happen with it is it works perect for while,then over a period of few months it will gradually get slower and slower reading the music in back ground when you turn ignition on.it will resume ok but after a while it will basically take so long to read usb it will not play anything and have a blank screen.i have found if you format usb stick and start again it will function perfect,then go the same way again.iv gave up on system.sounds like it is a problem with all new modules.going to install one of the new 2015 pioneers.pathetic having to shell out an extra grand.but no other choice because i like my music in my car.

You need to use the Bluetooth/USB modules with a USB stick of 8GB or smaller!!

What I have observed might confirm the 8GB limit. I have several USB drives with music on them, most of which are 8GB, but also have 16, 32 and 64 GB. I can confirm that the 8GB ones have no issues, but the larger ones, although they appear to work for the most part, have various problems which I have described in the new thread below.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-After-Resume-Fix-(BT-Module-TSB-Replacement)

I am not certain, but evidence would indicate either there is a limit to the # of song files on a device, or a device size limit, or both that is causing the problems. If Mazda would just document the specifics then we could avoid some of these issues.

What I have observed might confirm the 8GB limit. I have several USB drives with music on them, most of which are 8GB, but also have 16, 32 and 64 GB. I can confirm that the 8GB ones have no issues, but the larger ones, although they appear to work for the most part, have various problems which I have described in the new thread below.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-After-Resume-Fix-(BT-Module-TSB-Replacement)

I am not certain, but evidence would indicate either there is a limit to the # of song files on a device, or a device size limit, or both that is causing the problems. If Mazda would just document the specifics then we could avoid some of these issues.

Mazda Technical eventually admitted in writing to me that the limit of the USB drive is 8GB. I don't believe there is a # of files limit, but I'm planning on testing that by converting my tracks to lower bit rates to reduce the file sizes. Currently all my tracks are 320kbps MP3s.

Mazda Technical eventually admitted in writing to me that the limit of the USB drive is 8GB. I don't believe there is a # of files limit, but I'm planning on testing that by converting my tracks to lower bit rates to reduce the file sizes. Currently all my tracks are 320kbps MP3s.

Would this 8GB limit apply to ipods?

Would this 8GB limit apply to ipods?

I wouldn't have thought so, since the head unit is supposed to be acting as a form of remote control for the ipod device which is managing the files itself and simply streaming the playing file and the related information to back to the Mazda system.

I wouldn't have thought so, since the head unit is supposed to be acting as a form of remote control for the ipod device which is managing the files itself and simply streaming the playing file and the related information to back to the Mazda system.

Well, let's hope so. I gave up using my nano through USB because of the resume problem. I will need an oil change in a couple of months and will still be under warranty, so will have the BT module upgrade done at the same time. Thanks.

1.will a 16 gb usb with close to 8 gb song works good?
2.is there a loading time difference with usb 2.0 vs 3.0?

Last edited:
I don't think USB size really matters, more to do with how much files you have and if the USB is good in terms of performance. Probably won't have difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0 as our car is most likely 2.0 only... but 3.0 USB might have better performance still when compared to 2.0 flash drives.

Last edited:
Back