Resale Value

AndrewW

MS6 #884
:
1967 Triumph TR 4A 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 1975 Honda Cicic CVCC 1
Was anyone else watching the Black Mica Speed 6 on Ebay that just sold? It went for $14,800. G.T., moonroof, nav, and 30,000 miles. Sure, the miles are a little high, but to me, this is somewhat depressing. I had hoped that I was buying a car that wasn't going to lose quite that much in value in such a short amount of time. WTF? Are these cars that bad? s***, I sold my protege 5 after 3 years for $9,000 less than I paid for it. I think I'm going to get an Audi S5, so long Mazda (Ford).(sad2)

Last edited:
Using ebay to gauge car values is somewhat like using a wrench to drive nails. You can do it, but I wouldn't vouch for the results.

For instance, Edmunds suggests a private party price of about $22,850. Trade-in value would be over $20,000. Not having a link to the old auction, it's difficult to see if there were any potential problems with that car.

As for choosing the Audi over the Speed6, if you have that much extra money to spend on a car, why did you consider the Speed6 in the first place?

Ford owns a paltry 35% of Mazda. So calling a Mazda Car a Ford is somewhat ....well you get the idea.

One of the main problems I see with the Speed6 resale is that the standard Mazda6 which was produced in a UAW plant at the AutoAlliance Flat Rock facility was over produced. The standard Mazda6 was overproduced as a result of the fact that Ford would have had to pay full wages and benefits to its idled workers if it cut production, so it was cheaper to keep building and sell off the excess to rental fleets. This has led to Mazda6 sales being about 50% to daily rental fleets. One of the highest in the business. The Mazda5 is also sold in significant numbers to rental fleets.

Those fleet sales will put the resale value of the Mazda6 in the toilet so to speak. Even though our Speed6 is a different vehicle sold in much smaller numbers and only to retail customers, some of that is bound to rub off on our model. You also have to take into account the huge discounts and incentives on the car. I for one paid nearly $6K off of the sticker price. So when you are looking at depreciation, you should consider the average transaction price of the car not the sticker price.

As another put it, EBay represents somewhat of a firesale under conditions that are not ideal. Kelly Blue Book is probably somewhat inflated as well, probably by a grand or two. I for one will be holding on to mine for about 100K miles as I bought the extended warranty and plan to ride it out, so I am not expecting huge resale regardless. I am hoping for around $7-8K resale with 100 miles and 5 years old.

I think the MS6 will see its day of value. Not to be equating the MS6 with the old Daytona Charger and Super Bird Road Runners, They were also a hard sell when new, practically given away by dealers. For years they lost value, then became rare and sought after. Something similar could happen with the MS6, though obviously not to the same degree. Since only produced in a limited number and they're no longer in production, plus the fact that the import crowd can't seem to own a car they don't modify, I'm thinking that values will stabilize (at least for unmodified cars), and could actually start to increase within a year or so (longshot). If you're selling now, you'll surely lose money. They're out of production but there are still plenty of new ones to be had.

It's when people who compliment you on the car (happens every day to me) actually start asking if you'd be willing to sell, that's when you know you have a car that's holding or gaining value. Where resale value is concerned, I can be patient. ...but I like this car so much I may not want to sell it. It's pretty unique and has everything I'd want.

Heh, I bought my speed6 because I love the car. I could care less what someone elses opinion of it is or what they feel it's worth.

Did you buy your Speed6 as a investment to sell in a few months?? I hope not as a car is never a good investment for resale... What does it matter what other cars are reselling for. Enjoy your car and drive it with pride.

No, I didn't buy my car as an investment. I buy a new car every 3 years. I had thought that the speed 6 being a limited production model wouldn't be losing close to 50% of it's value after 1 year. Thats getting into Kia/Hyundai territory. Anway, I love the car, and have no misgivings of buying it. It's the 5th Mazda I've bought, starting with a 79 GLC (bought new).

Back