I'm considering a used CX-30 for my next car. Cylinder Deactivation?

I'm not going to say I joined this site just so I could post this question, but...

I currently have a 2014 Ford Fusion with the dreaded 1.5T EcoBoost engine, and I intend to trade it in in the coming months.

After months of research, looking at offerings from Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and Subaru, I think I've finally decided I want a CX-30, probably the 2021-23 model years, and I'm thinking a Carbon Edition, but I'm still undecided there. I want to avoid a turbo. But researching it more, and reading these forums some, I've started to read about Mazda's cylinder deactivation and the problems it's causing over on the CX-5 side. And since I'm buying used, I don't know if I'll be under factory warranty.

I'm looking for reliability here. I want a car that's going to last me 10 years, something I can get 200k miles out of without major issues. It will primarily be a commuter, but I do also love taking road trips. I certainly don't want to trade a car known for block problems for a car plagued with head problems.

I've searched the internet far and wide, and I can't find any stories of six-figure CX-30s. It also somewhat concerns me that Carmax has hundreds of them available, but I rarely see them on the road. I can't find concrete information that Mazda actually revised the head, or if they're just replacing the the cracked heads with the same faulty models.

It does sound like there's a small window of NA 2021 CX-30s that don't have cylinder deactivation. These primarily seem to be the Preferred trim.

I adore the CX-30, but at this point, reliability is the deciding factor. With all the sleep I've lost over my Fusion, I want my next car to be something I can depend on and be confident in. The chance of an expensive major engine failure is a dealbreaker, because that's the main reason I to get want away from Ford. As I go to walk used lots, is there anything I should keep an eye out for? Are there any specific years or trims I should avoid?

Last edited:
I can't find concrete information that Mazda actually revised the head, or if they're just replacing the the cracked heads with the same faulty models.

This is the problem many have with purchasing a CD-equipped NA Mazda. At least with the 2.5T engine, Mazda says the cylinder head was revised. As far as anyone knows, with the 2.5 NA, a replacement cylinder head may have the same problems that the original had. Bear in mind that the chance of cylinder head crack isn't high. As far as reports here have shown, the crack is also unrelated to mileage, so it's not like it will fail eventually. Additionally, the chances of the cylinder head cracking a second time are very, very low (though not zero).

If I were in your shoes, I would shop around for a used CPO. The CPO vehicles usually come with an extended factory powertrain warranty. In Canada, it's 7 years or 140k kms. In the US, its 7 years or 100k mi. Or, if you're in a position to buy new, units produced beginning late 2023 will not have cylinder deactivation or auto start/stop due to supply shortages.

BTW, at least on our forum, there is no problem with creating an account just to ask a question (y)

This is the problem many have with purchasing a CD-equipped NA Mazda. At least with the 2.5T engine, Mazda says the cylinder head was revised. As far as anyone knows, with the 2.5 NA, a replacement cylinder head may have the same problems that the original had. Bear in mind that the chance of cylinder head crack isn't high. As far as reports here have shown, the crack is also unrelated to mileage, so it's not like it will fail eventually. Additionally, the chances of the cylinder head cracking a second time are very, very low (though not zero).

If I were in your shoes, I would shop around for a used CPO. The CPO vehicles usually come with an extended factory powertrain warranty. In Canada, it's 7 years or 140k kms. In the US, its 7 years or 100k mi. Or, if you're in a position to buy new, units produced beginning late 2023 will not have cylinder deactivation or auto start/stop due to supply shortages.

BTW, at least on our forum, there is no problem with creating an account just to ask a question (y)

I've been seeing CX-5s everywhere lately, so I figure the cracked heads have to be pretty rare or isolated to just a few years.

The Fusion and Escape EcoBoosts pre-2019 are ticking time bombs and eventually will grenade themselves thanks to coolant intrusion, and depending on when it hits, could be instant death. So my current car doesn't leave town anymore (I love weekend trips, and cabin fever is hitting hard), and any cars with potential engine issues really put me on edge. Thankfully, from what I've read, the Mazda head crack doesn't sound like an "instant grenade" situation as long at it doesn't run itself out of oil.

I will have to keep CPO in mind. I've been primarily looking at Carmax. CPO's are a smidge beyond my budget, but I guess the Carmax extended warranty would cost just as much for the same amount of coverage. I have noticed that Carmax is absolutely flooded with 2023 Carbons right now for right around $25-26k, which is pretty intriguing... if not concerning.

Thanks a ton for the info, it does put me at ease just a bit.

Last edited:
Back